Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 17:59   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Alex Higgins

did any see the morning programme today with alex in it?
he looked so frail and dainty, i was really shocked, he is not the man he used to be, he's only 58! but it wasnt until i heard that he had throat cancer in 98 and it nearly killed him!
must have been all the booze and fags he had that had caught up with him! not to mention the temper he had and the women!
but he was a good player and was enjoyable to watch even though snooker can be v.boring! what i can remember anyhow!
Old 01-06-2007, 18:21   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Alex Higgins

Another sad case of someone who was brilliant at his game,but succumbed to the drink & women which eventually saw his fall from grace(a la Best,Gasgoine & Flintoff,if he's not careful).Every interview i saw with Higgins he always seemed off his face,though he played brilliantly.I believe he played a few times around these parts & could be a bit of a pig if he desired.Ah well,how the mighty have fallen.
Old 01-06-2007, 20:12   #3

Yes i would agree with what you say he was a good snooker player in is days but now its hard to beleave it him
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 20:17   #4

yes i saw it as well and i could not beleave it was him with the way he looked
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 21:32   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
Another sad case of someone who was brilliant at his game,but succumbed to the drink & women which eventually saw his fall from grace(a la Best,Gasgoine & Flintoff,if he's not careful).Every interview i saw with Higgins he always seemed off his face,though he played brilliantly.I believe he played a few times around these parts & could be a bit of a pig if he desired.Ah well,how the mighty have fallen.
You cant with honesty put the man in the same cat as Best, Gascoine or Flintoff (Whats wrong with Freddy anyway?)
This man left a trail of sadness and debt in Blackburn and was a complete waister.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 23:27   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
You cant with honesty put the man in the same cat as Best, Gascoine or Flintoff (Whats wrong with Freddy anyway?)
This man left a trail of sadness and debt in Blackburn and was a complete waister.
i,ll second that as he used to live with me n me mate, but you cannot take away the talent he had, the best i ever saw on his day.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22   #7
Senior Member+

Played him a few times up the Elite, well not really, I just fagged the balls out for him. In his prime he was brilliant, seen him make 147 without thinking. But, unfortunately he had no class. Still, sad to see him like that today.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:42   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Freddys taste for the booze seems to have undermined his performances of late,and if he carries on,without some kind of self dicipline,i can see him going down the same road as Best,Gazza & Higgins.Another great talent sadly wasted.Though i do hope i'm proved wrong.
Old 20-05-2010, 07:58   #9
God Member

Here's a picture of Higgins from today's Daily Mail:

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:04   #10
God Member

Anyone know the bookies odds on him winning at the Crucible next year?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 10:05   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Anyone know the bookies odds on him winning at the Crucible next year?
Slim to none Tealeaf,
Like him or loath him, that picture shows the ravishes of illness, saw him on TV not to long ago but he has worsened big time since then
Old 20-05-2010, 10:09   #12

I saw him win The World Championship at the Selly Oak British Legion in 1972 against John Spencer, Higgins was brilliant but not half as nice a chap as Spencer
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 13:19   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Not nice to see anyone like that, even if he was n arsehole.
Old 20-05-2010, 15:10   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
I saw him win The World Championship at the Selly Oak British Legion in 1972 against John Spencer, Higgins was brilliant but not half as nice a chap as Spencer
John Spencer a nice chap one of the most arrogant people I've ever had the misfortune to meet, in comparison his Brother Bob was a real gent, owned a huge Pool Hall in Swinton, spent many a happy hour their with Bob and his wife
Old 27-05-2010, 03:24   #15

hell fire! He looks very ill and old. He was brilliant in his time. I used to love watching him whizz round the table.
I always remember him sniffing, twitching and rushing. Was he on something besides booze?
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..