Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2013, 22:04   #1
God Member

Affleck Does It Again ...

If you are expecting a paean for Ben Affleck, you will be disappointed. This is for those who, like me, get real po'd at the yanks and at Hollywood for rewrting history, particularly military history, so that all the heroics are performed by yanks, and that defeats turn into victories as the cameras roll ... Viet Nam comes to mind ... Rambo

And now Argo The brave CIA agent, Mendez does it all for the yanks ... problem is, this is a major distortion of what really happened. Mendez was there for only a day and a half ... all the neat and brave stuff was done by Canadians, especially Canadian Ambassador Ken Taylor who did find some satisfaction in Affleck's mention of Canada in his acceptance speech.

Ken Taylor satisfied with Affleck's Oscar shoutout to Canada - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Canada's role is almost invisible in the movie.

Even former President Jimmy Carter expressed annoyance at the distortion.

Now this ain't the first time Affleck has been involved in bs like this. Those of you who saw that less than memorable flick, Pearl Harbor, may remember the part of the movie that really annoyed me, and possibly some of you also. Here, it was Affleck's character, Rafe McCauley who was the problem. Remember the part of the movie in which he, almost single handed, won the Battle of Britain. Now, if the jan cheeseys wish to rewrite the history of the Viet Nam war, let them go ahead ... we all know who really won. But when they start taking credit for what we and you guys did, that's going way too far.

Last edited by Eric; 25-02-2013 at 22:06.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2013, 22:30   #2

Re: Affleck Does It Again ...

Is Canada not part of the USA ......

Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 22:49   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post

No, not even close. If it were, then yanks would know where it is Considering we are close neighbours, the yanks know almost nothing about us.

Old 26-02-2013, 00:43   #4
God Member

Quote:

lol how to offend an entire country in under 10 words
Eric and susie123 like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:47   #5

Well what's that bit at the top, Alaska that's it, well they own that bit don't they ?

It's full of French people anyway would they understand the film ??

I quite like Rambo and Pearl Harbour and I take them for what they are entertainment not a documentary of the actual facts. In all seriousness Hollywood does this with everything it's probably not right but sells films and they win awards for it.

I quite like Canada really well the non French bit

Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:00   #6
Senior Member+

should we start a thread for films hollywood got right? wouldnt be many posts would there

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:44   #7
Resting in Peace

Well we all know that John Wayne, won the Vietnam War, The Second World War, The Fight against the native Americans, not sure whether he brought Al Capone to justice, oh no that was Kevin Costner, what a Guy, considering his parents christened him Marione
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 10:07   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:

That´s like asking a Scotsman if Scotland is in England!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 10:17   #9
God Member

Hollywood films are mind control operations.

Real history doesn't get taught so such films are used to manipulate the opinion of the population.

When you can see that, they do have some value as comedy.
Eric likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 13:55   #10
God Member

Quote:
Well what's that bit at the top, Alaska that's it, well they own that bit don't they ?

It's full of French people anyway would they understand the film ??

I quite like Rambo and Pearl Harbour and I take them for what they are entertainment not a documentary of the actual facts. In all seriousness Hollywood does this with everything it's probably not right but sells films and they win awards for it.

I quite like Canada really well the non French bit

Hollywood does not do it with everything. There are numerous US movies which don't give a passing nod to any facts of what happened. There are whole genres of movies which rely on what Colerige (he was English by the way) termed "willing suspension of disbelief" ... horror, romance, science fiction etc. What we have in "Argo" is not this willing suspension, but cognitive estrangement, which relies on the ignorance of the audience. Not only that, it reinforces that lack of knowledge and ignorance becomes knowledge. Fiction becomes fact.

What I find annoying is that the yanks, with a rich enough history of their own, feel the need to hijack the history of others. If they want to distort the history of the Viet Nam war ... fine. It was their war; and it was their loss. Even the Krauts do a much better job. In "Das Boot" and "Stalingrad" they can explore the "human interest" aspect without concealing that they got their asses kicked.

The Americans can get it right, however. And the resulting movies are every bit as entertaining. "The Devil's Brigade" comes to mind.

And I'm sure the folks in la belle province will be devastated that you don't like them. Ah well; the Montreal Canadiens are doing well this year. This should console them.
Old 26-02-2013, 14:25   #11
Senior Member+

Didn't the American version of 'The Dam Busters' add shots of American aircrew and B17 bombers to it?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 14:31   #12
God Member

the yanks took credit in a u-boat movie where they claimed it was them who captured a naval enigma machine and not us.

mind you they have to steal other peoples history its not like they have any of their own infact they dont really do much for themselves they tend to offer lots of money to british scientists to go work there once they have invented something or take someone elses idea,sell it on a massive scale then claim it as their own creation like the internet for example.

Also if they see something they like but cant quite figure it out or get good at it like sport they add pads and simplify it like american football lol

mind you what can you expect from a country that has a WORLD series in sport but wont let any other country play hahaha

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 26-02-2013 at 14:35.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 14:32   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Didn't the American version of 'The Dam Busters' add shots of American aircrew and B17 bombers to it?
Not to mention the dog, eh

BBC News - Dam Busters dog renamed for movie remake
Old 26-02-2013, 14:36   #14
God Member

And talking of B 17s, "Memphis Belle" was a good movie.
Old 26-02-2013, 14:39   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Not to mention the dog, eh
True, as I remember it's name was changed to Trigger in the US version of the original. Renaming it Digger in the new version? Why not just call it 'PC'?
jaysay likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..