Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2008, 21:20   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

American V's British Drama

Anybody noticed the striking difference between American and British Drama series on Television.

They are absolute worlds apart.

An American Drama first Numb3rs.

An FBI Agent gets stuck every week and has to call on his father, his nerdy brother and all his brothers equally if not even more nerdy workmates to solve the crimes for him.

These 'unofficial' helpers have free access to the main FBI Headquarters and go off traipsing all over the crime scenes without anyone saying, "Sorry you can't come in here officials only". This group of amateurs solve the baffling crimes every week and manage to do it in an hour.

Yeah Right!

The British Drama, a re-run of a series called extinct.

This is set in a forest somewhere down southish, the main hero is a nerdy professor with a few dumbo sidekicks that meet a young lady zoo keeper as she and they are searching for reported sightings of dinosaurs.

It doesn't take long they find some, however another young lady that is with them is from the Home Office what does she do? does she order up a task force with lot's of cages and scientists to try and capture the wee beasties?

No, she says to the whole group, "Well before we go any further you will all have to sign the Official Secrets Act!" and takes them all off to a large office building on Whitehall and the next thing we see are the heroes actually in an office signing pieces of paper!

Yeah Right!

This was only episode 1 of extinct perhaps they will do something tomorrow when episode 2 is shown.

Now which of these two drama's is the more believable?

My money is on the British Drama I think they got the red tape absolutely correct, whereas the American one pretends that they wouldn't be bogged down by such stuff but we all know that really they would.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-09-2008, 21:23   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: American V's British Drama

more drama on accyweb than either of em.
Old 16-09-2008, 07:17   #3
God Member

hate ALL American programmes nomatter what they are
Old 16-09-2008, 09:24   #4
Resting in Peace

I think eac has its place. As some one who watches a lot of telly I like all kinds of drama, but on the whole I think British is best, when you look at series like Taggart, Morse, Prime Suspect, Spooks, Rebus ECT, they take some beating, but for a change I qute like the Law and Order threesome with Criminal Intent and Special Victims Unit and CSI thresome as well.
Old 16-09-2008, 09:50   #5
God Member

Once you go Jack, you never go back. 24 rules all. Amen.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 10:17   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Once you go Jack, you never go back. 24 rules all. Amen.
liked the first two shaker, but got a little tedious after that, think the scond one was the best of the lot though
Old 16-09-2008, 11:02   #7
God Member

I'd agree that the second was the best, and that the rest haven't lived up to that series, but I still enjoy all of them.
Old 16-09-2008, 13:39   #8
God Member

There is not much american stuff i like really with the exception of Heroes......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 14:07   #9
Resident Waffler

Are you sure the British series was realistic? Wouldn't there be more red tape than that?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 14:44   #10
God Member

I prefer American drama mostly because of the way it's written and filmed, it's usually very stylish. At the moment I'm loving Bones and Cold Case. Yes, they are a bit dumb in a lot of ways - they fit a lot into an hour that would really be spread over about six months of detailed investigation, but they have such a cracking pace and suspense about them. British cop dramas tend to lumber along, very sweet and quaint but without any pace.

American dramas are team efforts when it comes to writing - although it usually has a 'written by...' on each programme he/she is the head of the team - they have more people working on dialogue so each character has a very different voice, whereas in British drama there are stereotypes written in because there's usually one writer trying to write in different voices.

Also American dramas are filmed week by week so are only about three weeks ahead of when they're shown, even for a 26 part series. So they reflect the seasons so much better and seem relevant, they can react to politics quickly. British ones are written and filmed in series then shown after filming has ended.

Another thing - and by this point I bet you're thinking 'she's studied this far too much' - they are filmed very stylishly, they use fast camera techniques and more hand held cameras so that there is again that sense of pace.

Sorry, bit of an anorak I know but what the heck, you asked!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 15:02   #11
Senior Member+

i love heroes but i do think sometimes the american shows are dragged out for too long, like lost and 24.. i start off liking it then get really bored and give up.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 15:34   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i love heroes but i do think sometimes the american shows are dragged out for too long, like lost and 24.. i start off liking it then get really bored and give up.
I agree with you there, knowing when to stop would be a good thing.

I was also going to say that America does better science fiction than the UK but in fact, I think a number of really good science fiction - X-Files and Stargate, I'm thinking about are actually Canadian made.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 16:15   #13
God Member

X Files isn't a drama, pft, it's my religion
Old 16-09-2008, 16:22   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I prefer American drama mostly because of the way it's written and filmed, it's usually very stylish. At the moment I'm loving Bones and Cold Case. Yes, they are a bit dumb in a lot of ways - they fit a lot into an hour that would really be spread over about six months of detailed investigation, but they have such a cracking pace and suspense about them. British cop dramas tend to lumber along, very sweet and quaint but without any pace.

American dramas are team efforts when it comes to writing - although it usually has a 'written by...' on each programme he/she is the head of the team - they have more people working on dialogue so each character has a very different voice, whereas in British drama there are stereotypes written in because there's usually one writer trying to write in different voices.

Also American dramas are filmed week by week so are only about three weeks ahead of when they're shown, even for a 26 part series. So they reflect the seasons so much better and seem relevant, they can react to politics quickly. British ones are written and filmed in series then shown after filming has ended.

Another thing - and by this point I bet you're thinking 'she's studied this far too much' - they are filmed very stylishly, they use fast camera techniques and more hand held cameras so that there is again that sense of pace.

Sorry, bit of an anorak I know but what the heck, you asked!
Think we're going to have to watch what threads we put on here Gayle, either that or you'll have to get out more
Old 16-09-2008, 18:53   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

I was also going to say that America does better science fiction than the UK .

Doctor Who.........?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..