Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2008, 18:28   #1
God Member

Cinema

Can anyone still afford to go.? if so what did you see and was it any good....?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2008, 19:19   #2
Loz

Re: Cinema

We went a couple of weeks ago, it cost 12pounds between us which i think is a bit of a rip off,the drinks were even worse,four pounds and fifty pence for two small cokes!!
We saw the new X-Files film which we both enjoyed but i wouldn't want to go often at those prices!
Don't see how they can justify charging so much,i used to go all the time but will be going very sparingly from now on i'm afraid.
Old 17-08-2008, 19:46   #3
God Member

Same here, we don`t go as often because of the rip off prices, as a couple we usuall get there every halloween for the lastest instalment of SAW, as a family its usually the latest Harry Potter or Narnia......although i took my eldest to see The Water Horse a while back and we both thought it was brilliant, its now on constantly on her portable DVD player. The first X Files was one of the first films me and the missus went to see together so we have the new one in our dvd rental waiting list. and as regards the rip of prices , a trip to home and bargain and a big baggy jacket or bag soon get over that hurdle.....
Old 17-08-2008, 20:02   #4
Loz

Yeah i used to do that!
Buy goodies before we went in and sneak them in!
The new X-files film was the first time me and my hubby had been to the cinema together!
He treated me and surprised me with them,he isn't a fan of the show but i'm a bit of a geek when it comes to X-files but he did enjoy it!
Old 17-08-2008, 20:06   #5
God Member

The only time we go to the cinema is when we go to the Kids Club which is on Sat and Sun mornings around 11am

This is only 1-50 per child and 1 adult go free per child

We do wanna see the new Star Wars 1 but can't imagine we are gonna pay that price

Last one we saw was Speed Racer and it cost £3-00 for 2 kids and 2 adults
Old 17-08-2008, 20:22   #6
Resting in Peace

There's still that Orange deal going on on Wednesday nights ... 2 for 1 .. but maybe nearest for this is Burnley, heard a discussion whereby you don't even need to be on Orange to get it ... Tuesday night in Accrington is the night for discounts .. please enquire .. can't remember the details.

Why, oh why though, do people wish to eat and drink in the Cinema !!? Only 3 hours at most.. surely most of you have had yer tea, and can have something to eat or drink when you get home if necessary ! Always puzzles me...

Some cinemas are now trying popcorn free nights ... Yes !! Ok, discussed before, but totally ridiculous that you feel the need for this sticky, blown up, excessive amount of food plus a carton full of expensive coke, whilst annoying the person sat next to you with your incessant munching and crunching.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 20:54   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Why, oh why though, do people wish to eat and drink in the Cinema !!? Only 3 hours at most.. surely most of you have had yer tea, and can have something to eat or drink when you get home if necessary ! Always puzzles me... .

Thats a very good point.....never thought of it like that...
Old 17-08-2008, 20:57   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass27 View Post
The only time we go to the cinema is when we go to the Kids Club which is on Sat and Sun mornings around 11am

This is only 1-50 per child and 1 adult go free per child

We do wanna see the new Star Wars 1 but can't imagine we are gonna pay that price

Last one we saw was Speed Racer and it cost £3-00 for 2 kids and 2 adults

It was The Water Horse that we saw at the kids club ....worth every penny.
Old 17-08-2008, 20:58   #9

last time i went to the cinemas i watched simpsons movies i ended up falling asleep and leaving my mobile phone behind
Old 17-08-2008, 21:17   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Why, oh why though, do people wish to eat and drink in the Cinema !!? Only 3 hours at most.. surely most of you have had yer tea, and can have something to eat or drink when you get home if necessary ! Always puzzles me...

Some cinemas are now trying popcorn free nights ... Yes !! Ok, discussed before, but totally ridiculous that you feel the need for this sticky, blown up, excessive amount of food plus a carton full of expensive coke, whilst annoying the person sat next to you with your incessant munching and crunching.
I'm with you on this one, Katex.

It's very annoying sitting next to someone slurping their way through a bucket of coke and crunching their way through a family bag of revels.

Greedy pigs.....there's no need for it.
Old 18-08-2008, 10:04   #11
Resting in Peace

I think the last time I went to the cinema was to see Saturday Night Fever, in Rawtenstall 30 years ago. In the good old days in Ossy we were spoiled for choice, 3 cinemas and the films changed 3 times a week
Old 18-08-2008, 10:18   #12
I am Banned

Its not so bad if you go regularly as you usually get the discount tickets with your "normal ticket" which gets you £1.50 off your next visit, so it becomes more of a decent price. I think they have to be used within 11 days though.
But I'll only have to pay Student prices from september so I not complaining.
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 13:24   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
Its not so bad if you go regularly as you usually get the discount tickets with your "normal ticket" which gets you £1.50 off your next visit, so it becomes more of a decent price. I think they have to be used within 11 days though.
But I'll only have to pay Student prices from september so I not complaining.
Yes, you right keetah, have just found one of the vouchers in my purse, dated 4th August, went on the 22nd July (blimey I'm organised .. was on me calendar) .. so this looks like it is 13 days. Says Tuesdays, Adults £1.50; kids, teens, students and senior citizens ... .75p discount .. think this is on top of the discount already offered. Can't read the small print .. too blooming small ... but can go on their website... welcome to vue cinemas - the ultimate cinema experience (couldn't find, sure someone will).

Also, you can do the Orange deal on a Wednesday night at Vue, and this is where I had picked up the loop-hole even if you are not an Orange customer. Gotta' be worth the £1 :-

Orange Wed 2for1 Film Tickets: Non-Orange customers loophole...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 20:10   #14
Senior Member+

I am a massive film fan, but hardly ever go to a multiplex cinema anymore. I don't enjoy the experience and can often spot films being projected incorrectly.

I did go to the Bury Vue in July to see Bonnie and Clyde, which was actually quite well presented, but otherwise the only time I go to a cinema is when I go to the National Media Museum in Bradford.

I tend to watch films at home on a decent home cinema set-up. I can see what I want and don't have neds kicking the back of my seat or munching popcorn.
Old 18-08-2008, 20:19   #15
God Member

Took Ellie and my nephew Charlie to see Kung Fu Panda a couple of weeks ago, thought it was very good, then went with girls to see Mamma Mia that was also worth seeing. I enjoy the pictures but its very expensive when I took the kids there were only 6 other people watching the movie surely if they lowered the price they'd sell more tickets!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..