Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2008, 11:35   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If the BBC did not sell their programmes all around the world, it would not have the funds to make quality programmes like it does and in order to do so the licence fee would have to increase substantially.
I did not say they cant sell it around the world. I asked why licence payers are having to pay twice. As a licence payer you should get it at cost - we have already paid for the program.
Old 22-09-2008, 12:26   #17
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I did not say they cant sell it around the world. I asked why licence payers are having to pay twice. As a licence payer you should get it at cost - we have already paid for the program.
I didn’t say that you did, but why let the reality spoil the start of an “I said, you said” argument.

I was just pointing out that if you object to having to pay twice by buying a DVD of a BBC programme, the same applies to subscribing to commercial pay as you view channels. But you don’t hear any arguments about that.

It seems to me that instead of regaling us with your views on the Coast programme, which is what this thread is all about, you decided to have a poke about the license fee and the BBC.

People will happily pay to rent a DVD of a film or pay two or three times as much to buy it.

I happen to think that buying DVD’s of BBC programmes is not only good value but also aids Aunty Beeb to produce more first rate programmes. Of course it also helps to pay certain programme presenters exorbitant salaries, but that is a different issue.
Old 22-09-2008, 13:17   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I happen to think that buying DVD’s of BBC programmes is not only good value but also aids Aunty Beeb to produce more first rate programmes. Of course it also helps to pay certain programme presenters exorbitant salaries, but that is a different issue.
That is because you have been brainwashed by the beeb and can't see the reality of it.

Please explain why the BBC is so good we should all pay for it if we want to watch it or not.
Old 22-09-2008, 18:01   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
That is because you have been brainwashed by the beeb and can't see the reality of it.

Please explain why the BBC is so good we should all pay for it if we want to watch it or not.
The only people who are brain washed are those who still think that the TV license is to watch BBC programmes and pointedly refuse to accept that this is not the case.

You don’t pay just to watch BBC programmes. If the BBC didn’t exist we would still have to pay the annual TV license fee.

The TV license authorises the installation and use of video receiving equipment in a house, pub, hotel etc. and you can watch whatever broadcasts are available to you, regardless where they come from. In private domestic property the single license covers all the TV sets in that property.
Old 22-09-2008, 18:23   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
The only people who are brain washed are those who still think that the TV license is to watch BBC programmes and pointedly refuse to accept that this is not the case.

You don’t pay just to watch BBC programmes. If the BBC didn’t exist we would still have to pay the annual TV license fee.

The TV license authorises the installation and use of video receiving equipment in a house, pub, hotel etc. and you can watch whatever broadcasts are available to you, regardless where they come from. In private domestic property the single license covers all the TV sets in that property.
You know that is only a play on words as to what the licence is really for. Its to pay for the BBC, that's where the majority of the money goes.

You know it does but you like to pretend that if there was no BBC we would still pay such a high fee.
Old 22-09-2008, 18:47   #21
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
You know that is only a play on words as to what the licence is really for. Its to pay for the BBC, that's where the majority of the money goes.

You know it does but you like to pretend that if there was no BBC we would still pay such a high fee.
No play on words Neil. It’s a fact.

Have a look at http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp

Nowhere does it specifically refer to the BBC.

The BBC being a public service broadcaster is funded from government funds better known as taxpayer’s money. Doesn’t that make it paying three times for a BBC programme DVD? The government recoups this outlay with the license fee. The BBC is charged with collecting the license money and keeping tabs on who has or has not got a current license.

High fee? £139.50 for a colour license has to be the deal of the century. That’s just a smidgin over 38 pence per day. It would cost you more than ten times that just to go and watch a film in a cinema.
Old 22-09-2008, 19:06   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
No play on words Neil. It’s a fact.

Have a look at http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp

Nowhere does it specifically refer to the BBC.
And that is why you have been suckered in. You cant see the wood for the trees.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..