Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2008, 17:34   #1
Senior Member+

Peirrepoint

Watched this the other night about Britains famous/infamous hangman.A bloke who took great pride in his work & was as cold & calculated in despatching those found guilty(rightly or wrongly) as the murderers themselves.Never took his work home & was somewhat affronted when his identity became public after the Nazi war trials,where he executioned up to 13 war criminals a day(1 or 2 was the norm).The only emotion he showed was when he had to hang an old friend of his(personally i'd have called in sick).Anyway (& i realise this is considered by some to be rather light hearted on such a serious subject,but someone had to do it)Was he a ruthless killer like his victims? Heaven or hell for Albert?
Old 27-08-2008, 17:41   #2

Re: Peirrepoint

Heaven. He didnt convict or try the people, he just performed a public service. At the time, the death penalty was acceptable and he was an instrument of the court.If 12 people find someone guilty then why should he question it ?
Old 27-08-2008, 17:46   #3

I started out with the intention of watching this but as the night progressed I thought “Nahhhh, it’s a bit morbid” It sounded interesting, it sounds interesting now. Guess it will get another showing, I will watch it then.

As for Heaven or Hell, I believe in neither. Which direction do you think he went in ?
Old 27-08-2008, 17:50   #4
God Member

Heaven , maybe a question for the 'older' Accy webers .......when did Peirrepoint become famous ? Was he 'famous' while he was still hanging folk , or did the fame come after he retired and the death penalty stopped .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 17:56   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Heaven, missed it apart from last 30 mins cos forgot it was on, think he became "Well Known" in later years steeljack, more after he resigned, wouldn't put money on,but its how i remember.
Old 27-08-2008, 18:02   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think he became "Well Known" in later years steeljack, more after he resigned, wouldn't put money on,but its how i remember.
Thats whats got me a bit confused , seem to remember going on trips to Southport when I was a kid and when the coach passed a pub on the other side of Preston it was allways pointed out as the place where the 'hangman' lived , this would be mid 50s , and i'm thinking he was still working then
Old 27-08-2008, 18:09   #7

My great grandma used to know him. According to my Grandma she said he was a very nice chap to know despite his grim profession. He was very concerned with making sure those that were executed were done so with a minimum of fuss, unlike other executioners.

I enjoyed the dramatization.
Old 27-08-2008, 18:53   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I thought the play was very good but Timothy Spall made Pierrepoint a lot more "dramatic" than he really was. He treated the job as just that - a job - and, by all accounts I've read about him, he was quite a cheerful sort of bloke. As far as I know the story of him hanging a friend was made up. It never happened.

I first heard of him around the time of the Bentley and Ellis hangings, when I was 10 or 11, so about 1953/54. I remember my dad telling me he had a pub in Preston and I think there were a few articles in the Press about him.

No, he wasn't a ruthless killer. He did a job that few people would or could do and he did it as humanely as possible.
Old 27-08-2008, 18:56   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I thought the play was very good but Timothy Spall made Pierrepoint a lot more "dramatic" than he really was. He treated the job as just that - a job - and, by all accounts I've read about him, he was quite a cheerful sort of bloke. As far as I know the story of him hanging a friend was made up. It never happened.

I first heard of him around the time of the Bentley and Ellis hangings, when I was 10 or 11, so about 1953/54. I remember my dad telling me he had a pub in Preston and I think there were a few articles in the Press about him.

No, he wasn't a ruthless killer. He did a job that few people would or could do and he did it as humanely as possible.
I was going to ask about the "pub" thing .... I remember my grandad telling me he had a pub .... wonder what he called it? The "Drop Inn" would have been a good name
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 18:59   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Thats whats got me a bit confused , seem to remember going on trips to Southport when I was a kid and when the coach passed a pub on the other side of Preston it was allways pointed out as the place where the 'hangman' lived , this would be mid 50s , and i'm thinking he was still working then
think he topped his last one in 55, aint certain but thats what i reckon.
Old 27-08-2008, 19:01   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I was going to ask about the "pub" thing .... I remember my grandad telling me he had a pub .... wonder what he called it? The "Drop Inn" would have been a good name
I just Googled it. Apparently the pub in Preston was the "Rose and Crown" but (it says) the pub he had before that, in Oldham, was called the "Help The Poor Struggler".
Old 27-08-2008, 19:05   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think he topped his last one in 55, aint certain but thats what i reckon.
When was Ruth Ellis hung? That caused an uproar.
Old 27-08-2008, 19:08   #13
Senior Member+

I watched it too-was good and made you realise what soem people go through because of their job.Very sad when he got bullied though
I say Heaven.

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 19:08   #14
God Member

now the brain cells are kicking in (still morning here) I think the pub on the Southport Rd. was near the Lancashire Constabulary (sp?) H.Q. at Hutton ? maybe for security/personal safety reasons
Old 27-08-2008, 19:10   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

I just checked on the "hanging a friend" story too. He did hang a man who had been a regular in his Oldham pub. He knew him well but they were not great friends and Pierrepoint didn't have any qualms about the execution.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..