Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2011, 17:51   #1
Full Member+

Thumbs up Sky or Virgin?

I am incensed that the BBC has sold off yet another top program, namely Madmen, to Sky. If there is one program I have considered worth watching over the past four years, then this has been it. The question now arises as to whether we should upgrade from Freeview (which is dominated by adverts and an increasing amount of subscipted blue rubbish) to Sky or Virgin, both of which offer reasonably priced packages. I enjoy my cricket and motor sports, but am not particularly into football and my better half loves to watch tennis, so we would therefore appreciate advice from both camps.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2011, 17:55   #2
God Member

Re: Sky or Virgin?

You would need to check if Virgin is available in your area first, cabled areas only, Sky is available to everyone.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 18:05   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I am incensed that the BBC has sold off yet another top program, namely Madmen, to Sky. If there is one program I have considered worth watching over the past four years, then this has been it. The question now arises as to whether we should upgrade from Freeview (which is dominated by adverts and an increasing amount of subscipted blue rubbish) to Sky or Virgin, both of which offer reasonably priced packages. I enjoy my cricket and motor sports, but am not particularly into football and my better half loves to watch tennis, so we would therefore appreciate advice from both camps.
I've had Sky for twenty years Stumped, but I've always had the full monty, mind you TV is my only entertainment apart from Accy Web
Old 25-01-2011, 18:27   #4
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
You would need to check if Virgin is available in your area first, cabled areas only, Sky is available to everyone.
Yes, we are cabled, hence my indecision as to which would be the better option.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:10   #5

VIRGIN defoooooo & they wil more than likely be in your area....

free installation...

tv 'on demand' (pause record tv etc)

and top factor - EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICES

(and they do sky sports packages for the boys)

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:11   #6

ps i have found sky are absolutley shocking when it comes to customer services

i once spent 25 mins on hold on a 0870.....

wasnt happy

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:26   #7
Resting in Peace

We have been with NTL and then Virgin after the takeover for 9 years now and never had a problem with them.
There response if you do have a problem is very good too,we had the house fronts done up by the council under the regeneration scheme the firm that was doing it cut through my broadband and tv cable i got in touch with virgin and they where there within a few hours and did a good job.
also if you do go with virgin get a friend who has virgin to recommend you to them after its been installed your friend will get £30 off his bill
I have done this 3 times upto now.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:50   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Lassie View Post
ps i have found sky are absolutley shocking when it comes to customer services

i once spent 25 mins on hold on a 0870.....

wasnt happy
I've been with Sky for 20 years and never had any trouble at all, I also have Sky Protect and their services is second to none
Old 26-01-2011, 09:08   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've been with Sky for 20 years and never had any trouble at all, I also have Sky Protect and their services is second to none
What is Sky protect? Sounds like one of those dodgy insurance schemes.

Sky is a good second best for people who cant get Virgin.

You get better services with Virgin like on demand that works and you can watch what you want not what sky want you to watch
Old 26-01-2011, 09:17   #10
God Member

If you have HD you now get Anytime+ where you can choose other programming that is downloaded over your Internet connection to the box for watching later...

I've been with SKY for years and like Jaysay never had any issues. I dont have teh option of cable where I live and terrestrial TV is pretty much impossible to get.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 09:21   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
If you have HD you now get Anytime+ where you can choose other programming that is downloaded over your Internet connection to the box for watching later...
Like I said Sky is a good second best.

We like to sit down together and just watch what we want to and forgot to record. We dont want to have to ask them to download it for later, we want to watch it straight away which you can with Virgin.

The download and watch later will be painful on a slow internet connection I would have thought.

With Virgin they have access to fast broadband so can stream it live.
Old 26-01-2011, 09:26   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What is Sky protect? Sounds like one of those dodgy insurance schemes.

Sky is a good second best for people who cant get Virgin.

You get better services with Virgin like on demand that works and you can watch what you want not what sky want you to watch
Sky protect is their own insurance system against breakdown Neil, Its virtually the next day service, I used them twice late on last year, the first time they replaced the dish because my multi room was playing up, the second time my HD box wasn't recording properly they turned out next day checked it out and replaced it with the latest model, with twice the hard drive of my old one, I can now record about 200 hours of programs
Old 26-01-2011, 09:31   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Like I said Sky is a good second best.

We like to sit down together and just watch what we want to and forgot to record. We dont want to have to ask them to download it for later, we want to watch it straight away which you can with Virgin.

The download and watch later will be painful on a slow internet connection I would have thought.

With Virgin they have access to fast broadband so can stream it live.
It downloads instantly Niel, I use Sky Anytime on a regulare basis especially for films usually watch one every saturfday night, if you record of mormal programs its easy too, I regually record two programs at once at night when I'm watching TV in my bedroom
Old 26-01-2011, 10:45   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sky protect is their own insurance system against breakdown Neil, Its virtually the next day service, ...
I assume you pay for that service. With Virgin you don't own the equipment so they fix/replace if faulty for no extra charge.

I do think that the Sky EPG is the best in the world, I used to be into satellite so have seen a few.
Old 26-01-2011, 10:48   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I assume you pay for that service. With Virgin you don't own the equipment so they fix/replace if faulty for no extra charge.

I do think that the Sky EPG is the best in the world, I used to be into satellite so have seen a few.
Kept me happy for 20 years, and when my father was alive he have Cable and they treated him really shoddily, he changed to Sky and was quite happy from then on

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..