Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2008, 19:17   #1
Senior Member+

So what do you watch at the moment?

I thought it may be an idea for members to list the top 5 programmes they watch on TV at the moment. I don't mean your favourites of all time/in the past, but programmes that you watch/record every week and are being shown at the moment. It might be nice to say why you like them and which channels they are on, so that other people can have a look if they're inspired.
I'll kick it off....

1. The Wire (FX Mondays at 10pm) - Now in its 5th season, The Wire is an American drama series that is hard to get out of your head. Although it features a police unit it isn't a typical police drama, choosing instead to focus on life in a modern American city (Baltimore), struggling to come to terms with a crumbling education system, rampant gang culture, the erosion of its industrial past and the budgetary restrictions on local government. I seriously think that this series (all 5 of them) are the finest TV ever made.

2. Homicide: Life on the Streets (ITV4 in the early hours of most mornings) - A precursor to The Wire in that it is also set in Baltimore and shares some of the same writers and producers. Originally shown in the 1990s, the show has stood the test of time and although hindered by network TV restrictions, I find it very, very good. Currently showing season 5.

3. Dexter (FX HD on Fridays at 10pm and also on FX on Sundays I think) - currently showing season 2 in the UK, Dexter shows real innovation and creative flair. Dexter Morgan is a police forensic blood expert by day and serial killer by night. I liked this series from day one, but series 2 has taken it to new heights. Why can't the UK produce TV dramas like this?

4. Masterchef (BBC2 weekdays at 6:30pm) - I just love all the Masterchef programmes and just started this week is this new offering, Masterchef Pro. I tend to watch these in the morning whilst having my Weetabix. Nice!

5. Match of the Day (BBC1 Saturday 10:30ish) - I can watch live football via Sky Sports, but I love MotD and watch it every week. I don't usually watch it when it's on, but keep it until Sunday morning to savour in full.

Well, that's my little lot. What are yours?
Old 25-08-2008, 19:20   #2
God Member

Re: So what do you watch at the moment?

New Tricks
Mock the Week
N C I S
...can't think of any more
....definately no soaps or sitcoms ever

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 19:43   #3
God Member

Come Dine With Me (weekend omnibus More 4)
Ibiza 2008 (Living)
X Factor (auditions a must see)
A Place In The Sun
Any decent film i can find

Don`t watch half as much tv as we used to, more channels seem to have brought more rubbish......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 19:46   #4
Senior Member+

did you watch come dine with me today pip,the one wi the vegan?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 19:48   #5
God Member

not much decent stuff on at the moment

QI is hilarious on Dave
Top Gear - Dave
Holby City - BBC1
Mock The Week - whichever channel decides to repeat it
Two Pints - BBC3 (used to like it before they started repeating it constantly)
Old 25-08-2008, 20:11   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
did you watch come dine with me today pip,the one wi the vegan?

I recorded it and we`ll probably watch it later.........Oh and Doctor Who and Heroes is a must when its on.....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:18   #7
God Member

I always watch MoTD. Lately there was The Genius of Charles Darwin on Channel 4. The three part programme has finished now but I really enjoyed that.

Aside from repeats of Qi, The Simpsons, Sex and the City, Friends, Top Gear and hundreds of war/Nazi/sea life documentaries there isn't a lot of broadcast programming I am interested in.

So I'm up for recommendations!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:46   #8
Senior Member+

pip.......watch the first one.... that guy made me think of someone off here.. see if you can guess who it is lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:59   #9
God Member

one of my 'better' stations has been showing on a rotating basis 3 cops shows from Europe , Maigrait (France) Tatort (Germany) and Montebello (Italy) all in thier original languages with sub-titles .......makes a nice break from the usual American cop show ( white cop,1 black cop, 1 Jewish D.A. with an attractive Hispanic asst. or any other conbination of the same races)

The absolute worst is CSI, any and all of the three versions , used to think it was so-so until they started showing Waking the Dead, which is 100 times better , plus it has no adverts
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 21:09   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
omakes a nice break from the usual American cop show ( white cop,1 black cop, 1 Jewish D.A. with an attractive Hispanic asst. or any other conbination of the same races)
But that's largely due to the syndicated networks and their dominance in the US. A production company/channel like HBO is free from those kinds of restrictions and produce some of the finest TV in the world.

Anyway.... back on topic.
Old 25-08-2008, 22:50   #11
God Member

Rock Of Love!!

New series on TMF started tonight
So will be recorded every night/week it is on lol
Old 26-08-2008, 10:02   #12
Resting in Peace

I record lots of stuf on Hallmark, on Sky, Law and order, L & O criminal intent, L & O Special victims, NCIS on FX, watch a lot of films on Sky HD movies, Animal Planet, History Channel, Discovery HD. Also like Mock the week and like Margaret Soaps done get the time of day on my TV, neither do reality shows like Big Brother, or as i call it Planks are Us
Old 26-08-2008, 11:05   #13
God Member

I watch whatever she who must be obeyed, or the kids are watching!! including corrie, emmerdale, csi, ncis! Unless football is on, haha
Old 26-08-2008, 11:44   #14
Give, give, give member

Corrie.

Last Choir Standing.

Big Brother.

Come Dine With Me.

Eggheads.

I'm also looking forward to the new series of property programmes, so I can laugh at greedy developers who lose money because of the recession.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 13:25   #15
Senior Member+

going through a phase of
law & order, csi,ncsi,bridges,
all what i call mental masterbation,..

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..