Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Who is the best film actor tough guy?
Clint Eastwood. 11 57.89%
Arnold Schwartzenegger. 0 0%
Sylvester Stallone. 0 0%
John Wayne. 2 10.53%
Jean Claude Van Damme. 0 0%
Bruce Lee. 0 0%
Jason Statham. 3 15.79%
Liam Neeson. 3 15.79%
Vinnie Jones. 0 0%
Marlon Brando. 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 21:52   #31

Re: Who's the best film Tough Guy?

Steve McQueen: "We deal in lead, friend."
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-06-2012, 18:09   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I had a soft spot for Robert Mitchum.
The roles he played weren't always 'action tough guy' but he had an action filled real life past as a boxer and time spent on a chain gang.
In my view Clint Eastwood encapsulates all those old Hollywood stars like Cagney and Mitchum and brings it into the more special effects era of Hollywood films - how many tough guys have you seen pulling a classic Eastwood face? Loads!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 00:44   #33

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
In my view Clint Eastwood encapsulates all those old Hollywood stars like Cagney and Mitchum and brings it into the more special effects era of Hollywood films - how many tough guys have you seen pulling a classic Eastwood face? Loads!
Ok you lost me now, unless you mean eclipses instead of encapsulates

Can't for the life of me recall an Eastwood film with special effects apart from the extremely dire Firefox ( I discount Tarantula :P).

Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent director, and has an uncanny knack for choosing the right films to make/star in, but his early stuff is really starting to look dated.

The Dirty Harry series and his Spaghetti westerns are not ageing well compared to the Cagney and Bogart stuff. Give me a choice of Angels with Dirty Faces, White Heat, Treasure of Sierra Madre, and Magnum Force..Clint is gonna come fourth.

Eastwood has made a fortune out of playing an anti-hero that is inherently a good guy...for me the best tough guys are usually the bad guys, it's why many actors take on those roles, because it gives them the scope to be nasty, evil and 'tough'.

De Niro in Godfather 2 and Heat, Tommy Lee Jones in The Executioners Song and Gene Hackman in Unforgiven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons -Demi Moore- G.I Jane!
At the risk of opening myself up to male perv weirdo comments..a young Demi in tight fitting bra-less fatigues.. hell yeah
Old 04-06-2012, 01:24   #34
Full Member+

For me, Clint wins this hands down....though Charles Bronson was a close second for me....

Some names that haven't been mentioned.....Lee Marvin, Henry Fonda & Lee Van Cleef. All played hard guy roles in various films....though Clint out trumps them on the sheer number of roles he's played in class films!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
For me, Clint wins this hands down....though Charles Bronson was a close second for me....

Some names that haven't been mentioned.....Lee Marvin, Henry Fonda & Lee Van Cleef. All played hard guy roles in various films....though Clint out trumps them on the sheer number of roles he's played in class films!!
There's been a run on the old Dirty Harry Films one Sky of late still watch um even though I must have seen them dozens of times, spaghetti westerns are on quite often too
Old 04-06-2012, 09:18   #36
JFT96

We have been watching them too Jay, I have to say I love the flying lesson Clint gets at the beginning of Magnum Force!

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 21:17   #37
Senior Member+

Clints the man, High Plains Drifter my favourite followed by Outlaw Josey Wales top class films.
Old 04-06-2012, 21:32   #38
Senior Member+

Nobody spits like Clint!
Do you remember Henry Fonda's eyes when one of his men says his name in 'Once upon a time in the West' in front of the boy? Never seen eyes so cold and dead.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 21:34   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Nobody spits like Clint!
Do you remember Henry Fonda's eyes when one of his men says his name in 'Once upon a time in the West' in front of the boy? Never seen eyes so cold and dead.
Yep, he's a hell of a shot with the old chewing bacca to
Old 04-06-2012, 21:36   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Yep, he's a hell of a shot with the old chewing bacca to
He gave that dog a hard time!I'll bet it was addicted to nicotine by the end of filming.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:39   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Clints the man, High Plains Drifter my favourite followed by Outlaw Josey Wales top class films.
I watched High Plains Drifter few month back - really well put together, every character and line etc perfect film, about that says a lot about human nature. Also it's a ghost story!

Forgot to mention Danny Glover and Denzil Washington both have made excellent action movies such as "Predator 2" "Lethal Weapon" and for Denzil "Training Day!" and "Man on Fire!"

Last edited by kestrelx; 05-06-2012 at 17:42.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:09   #42

Not my favourite actor, but I thought Alan Ladd was superb in Shane. And I will give a nod to John Wayne for the Quiet Man and the Searchers.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..