Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Accrington Forum News
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Forum News Read about the latest happenings on our site.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 04:16   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Swearing In Posts

Recently I have been finding a lot of swearing posted in threads hidden by *'s and strange spelling etc.

I am getting a little fed up editing posts with swearing in so I am now just deleting most of the posts instead. It makes it worse when people then quote a post with swearing in as two posts need to be changed.

If people can't be bothered refraining from swearing then I can't be bothered editing your swearing out.

I cant speak for the other mods, its obviously up to them if they want to edit your posts.

If you find your posts disappearing you have been warned.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:40   #2

Re: Swearing In Posts

woops sorry neil :0

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Old 07-01-2011, 12:50   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I cant speak for the other mods, its obviously up to them if they want to edit your posts.
Shouldn't you all apply the same rules, whatever the decision is ?
Old 07-01-2011, 13:37   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Shouldn't you all apply the same rules, whatever the decision is ?
Quote:
6: No unnecessary swear words. What is considered a swear word can be a matter of personal opinion, but they risk deletion on being reported.
It says they risk deletion, if someone wants to edit the post instead of deletion that is up to the person making that decision. Often things are edited instead of removed at the discretion of the mods.

Why do you think we should sit here thinking of ways to reword a post because the poster swore in it?
Old 07-01-2011, 13:43   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Why do you think we should sit here thinking of ways to reword a post because the poster swore in it?
I never said that or inferred that, I was merely suggesting the same rule should be applied by all mods, either delete or reword. If the rule is vague ( as it is ) then maybe it should be changed to say posts will be deleted. I don't expect the mods to reword them but then again I don't swear on here
Old 07-01-2011, 13:51   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

That's because you can express your point of view without lowering yourself to use vulgar language. Like you I am also a nun

I know what you are saying but a few rules are at mid discretion. It's not a bad thing as it allows us the flexibility that makes this site good.
Old 07-01-2011, 15:31   #7
Senior Member+

I am sure that the vast majority of readers will support your stance Neil. Accyweb is a leader, way out in front of any other town site I have seen, and having sensible language will keep it that way.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:22   #8
Senior Member+

100% with you Niel. If you can,t say what you mean without using bad language, say nowt
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23   #9
Senior Member+

Sorry Niel, meant Neil.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:26   #10
God Member

I dont think I have used bad language (If I have, I was rebuked and havn't done it since), but I usually consider bad language a sign of limited vocabulary or even limited intelligence! maybe just me?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:04   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
... limited intelligence! maybe just me?
Don't be to hard on yourself

I admit that I do swear but tend to turn it on and off depending who I am talking to and what I am doing.
Old 08-01-2011, 15:06   #12
Clearly Classy.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I usually consider bad language a sign of limited vocabulary or even limited intelligence! maybe just me?
Agree completely Derek, the majority of those who use expletives in either, general conversation or in posts usually struggle to make their point understood. If they lack eloquence in their vocabulary, maybe they lack it in their intellect and possibly other areas of their life.
Have to say, I would prefer to read a post with good use of the english language, rather than that of the foul, and or offensive variety.

My Gallery My Albums
Old 08-01-2011, 15:28   #13
Give, give, give member

Nudity & Swearing
No nudity or swearing is allowed on this website unless in a specific forum limited to people over the age of 18.

I never knew nudity was banned on Accy Web, as well as swearing.

I'll just go and slip into a thong, before making anymore posts.

A timely reminder, regarding the swearing rule. It drives me potty too.

Old 08-01-2011, 15:34   #14
Beacon of light

I don't like bad language in films, on TV, or in the street.......I find it offensive.
If I swear, it is in a moment of rage or pain(physical)...but it is usually a very mild expletive.
I tend to ignore asterisked words......much as I do swear words in books, and over the years I have found that it doesn't much affect the meaning of the written word.

I find it much harder to ignore spoken swear words....and recently took a group of 12year olds on one side and told them how disappointed their parents would be if they knew that they used such language in a public place(on a bus).

Children pick up swear words like pigeons pick up peas....and the sad thing is very few people are willing to take them to task....which is why so many of them are so foul mouthed in everyday conversation.
Old 08-01-2011, 15:35   #15
Beacon of light

By accepting swear words in general conversation and on the forum, we are condoning their use.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..