Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2012, 15:06   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Smilies malware warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
You could say that about any type of link though.
You could,i don't. besides i post very few links.
Old 28-07-2012, 15:10   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thought that was Smiley Central ?
They are very similar Kate the last time I looked
Old 28-07-2012, 19:12   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If you read the AccyWeb rules they state that image linking is not permitted so really the mods should remove any smilies from either of the sites mentioned above.

I have had the same problem with Chrome blocking smiles in someones sig recently.
Old 28-07-2012, 19:51   #19
Senior Member+

I didn't know it was causing a problem .
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 22:08   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
I didn't know it was causing a problem .
I am guessing you don't use chrome. It checks webpages you go to against a list of what it thinks are suspicious and warns you about them before taking you to them.

This problem with planetsmilies is being reported by many people on the internet.
Old 29-07-2012, 00:04   #21
Senior Member+

Seems so. I love using Chrome now. Especially on Ubuntu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am guessing you don't use chrome. It checks webpages you go to against a list of what it thinks are suspicious and warns you about them before taking you to them.

This problem with planetsmilies is being reported by many people on the internet.
Old 29-07-2012, 08:52   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If you read the AccyWeb rules they state that image linking is not permitted so really the mods should remove any smilies from either of the sites mentioned above.

I have had the same problem with Chrome blocking smiles in someones sig recently.
Using outside smilies is okay then if you remove the link then Neil, although I don't use them anymore
Old 29-07-2012, 11:42   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Using outside smilies is okay then if you remove the link then Neil, although I don't use them anymore
Like I said the rules says image linking is not allowed but they get left unless they cause a problem
Old 29-07-2012, 12:22   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Like I said the rules says image linking is not allowed but they get left unless they cause a problem
Image Linking
Image linking is no longer permitted, as it’s a form of theft ‘stealing other websites band width’.

Find this rule a little ambiguous, Neil. Don't understand how posting a smiley is theft ?

Have looked at some of the complaints re. Planetsmilies and nobody appears to have the answer.... all conflicting opinions, including many saying nothing to do with your browsers. Just trying to understand it all.

Sob, sob ... see my signature has been removed. Will have to seek out another.

Did put one in my bookmarks that Mick uses.... can I still use this ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 13:01   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Image Linking
Image linking is no longer permitted, as it’s a form of theft ‘stealing other websites band width’.

Find this rule a little ambiguous, Neil. Don't understand how posting a smiley is theft ?

Have looked at some of the complaints re. Planetsmilies and nobody appears to have the answer.... all conflicting opinions, including many saying nothing to do with your browsers. Just trying to understand it all.

It goes back in time to before broadband, when you link to a smilie/picture etc. to display on a web page you use a small portion of the hosts' (the web site you are connecting to), bandwidth the more people that link the smaller their bandwidth becomes, so they would have to pay to get a bigger bandwidth because your link was 'stealing' part of their's.
The problem isn't anywhere near as serious these days as it was.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 14:04   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Image Linking

Sorry Kate it was yours that was causing the problem first time I saw it a short while ago, I intended PM ing you about it but must have forgotten with looking into the problem.
I agree the rule is a little out of date for the reason Less said. For me the bigger problem is that these sites can delete or change the image to what they want at any time, a smilie could go from something innocent to something not suitable for this site.
I was searching old threads last night looking at the smilie problem of a few years ago and quite a posts are showing blank boxes where external smilies have been removed by the external hosts which does not look good.

I hate it when I am searching for car problems on other forums and all the pictures are missing showing how to do something because they were on photobucket or flickr and the owner removed them or closed their account.
Old 29-07-2012, 21:42   #27
Resting in Peace

So, the safest thing is not to import any smilies then .... shame ... a smilie is worth a thousand words.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 23:13   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh but if its possible they may be dodgy,Weres the sense in risking it n buggering yer computer up?
Quote:
So, the safest thing is not to import any smilies then .... shame ... a smilie is worth a thousand words.
I know sod all about technical stuff, Its just a bit of common sense.
Old 30-07-2012, 08:05   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So, the safest thing is not to import any smiles then .... shame ... a smilie is worth a thousand words.
Ya know what they say Kate Smile and the world smiles with you cry and you cry alone, pretty good advice really, if more people carried it out there'd be more peace in the world

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..