Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Feedback, Suggestions and help!
Donate! Join Today

Feedback, Suggestions and help! Do you need any help with the forum? Do you like what you see? Do you want more sections? Any ideas to improve the forum welcome. Any problems please report here as well.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2004, 08:50   #1
Resident Waffler

Thumbs up Total Admiration!

Roy I had no idea that you created this forum entirely from scratch. You have my total admiration for having done so. I wouldn't have a clue. It's bad enough customising one already provided by something like ForumForFree which you advertise on here. (That's not you as well is it?)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2004, 09:29   #2
God Member

Re: Total Admiration!

Sorry to do this mate

Roy didn't create this forum from scratch... He downloaded it from a site that provides the forum script. Roy has then worked very hard on it putting in a lot of time and effort to get it how he likes it./ The original creators of the forum are listed at the bottom of every page complete with copyright notices ie: vBulletin.nl

Where it is possible to get confused is the hosting. A lot of free forums are available that are what is termed "remotely hosted" and the forum is on the owners servers and you link to it from your website as if it is yours. However the owner who hosts it and may have nothing to do with your website is where the buck stops.. he owns it and is responsible for any material stored on his server.

Roy has his own server and hosts the forum himself.. therefore roy is the owner and host and the forum belongs to him.. we call the host the providor...Therefore he is responsible for content stored on his server ... It doesn't matter who writes something. the person storing that content is the one responsible.

Hope that helps
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 09:40   #3
Resident Waffler

So the"skeleton" as it were was originally created by vBulletin? I can deal with customisation of existing skeletons.

It's now becoming more confusing however because I clicked on the link at the bottom but the site I was lead to says it isn't the official vBulletin site or even a sister site, but just a fan site.

Old 23-06-2004, 09:50   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
So the"skeleton" as it were was originally created by vBulletin? I can deal with customisation of existing skeletons. .
Correct but as I stated.. this still involves a lot of hard work, time and effort. especialy as Roy hadn't done anyhting like this before... Roy has used various different forums from the day he started accy web (the current join days on profiles are confusing from such changes.. I personally have been here from day one )

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It's now becoming more confusing however because I clicked on the link at the bottom but the site I was lead to says it isn't the official vBulletin site or even a sister site, but just a fan site.
Very confusing. I can only guess that the site linked to is where Roy got this forum.. the site in question may have got the original. made some changes then offered it for download... Thats a best guess but still a guest.

The original board is definitely by vbulletin
Old 23-06-2004, 11:28   #5
Roy
Administrator

So.. vbulletin.com supply the base software. The skin (graphics and look) come from vbulletin.nl. and then there is lots of custom bits added by myself and other programmers that share there knowledge through the internet. A lot of work has gone into the site, but as has been said before, this place is nothing without it's members!

Quote:
ForumForFree which you advertise on here. (That's not you as well is it?)
Yes, thats one of mine. Currently hosting 747 forums and soon to be offering PHPBB forums as well as Invision forums, but never vbulletin forums, cos they are to expensive!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words! They are appreciated at this moment in time.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 12:47   #6
Resident Waffler

It's good when people are willing to share their knowledge and help one another out. That is basically how I've learned.

Old 23-06-2004, 20:51   #7
Accrington Web Mascot

I think anyone that put's so much personal time and effort into creating something like this forum for no personal gain deserves credit. I don't care if you've created it by scratch or had a little help - it's something I certainly wouldn't be able to do and I think you deserve all the admiration on offer! Keep up the good work!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 21:19   #8
Len
God Member

I must admit when I first came here to Accrington web. Com I thought it was run bye some organization, like the council or something. I hadn’t realized for a short time that it was down to the efforts of one man who has put a lot of time and money into this site. He doesn’t get paid for what he does, nor does any of the mod, they are all volunteers. They all do a good job even if other do not think so.

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 08:01   #9
mez
God Member

i agree with you both on wot you have said , hear hear more support for roy is needed he really does work hard, to give us all a forum & friends to talk to, cheers roy int:

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..