Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 06:13   #1

Who The Flipping Heck Is Talented

I AM.....
but I was born with the good old Lancashire name of Duckworth.....on Rileys Hill by a midwife who lived there.....mum and dad lived in Marsden St...when I was old enough to explore I discovered going left out of the door ...an off licence 6 doors away..and an area known as the smoothing iron.....and looked across to Warburtons mill...going right on the same side at the end of the street was a chippy and right opposite was the Woodnook Inn.....turning right took me to a steep st called Carter street..and the "old band club" running down Carter st to Victoria st....just to the left was Greenhalgh,s corner shop where mum used to shop weekly....always with a bag of toffees......at 4 I attended Hannah st school..then went on to Spring Hill Junior....and finally.after passing the 11 plus to Accy Grammar..in Blackburn rd...sadly no longer there...I left there at 15 through choice and started work at Maypoles getting Accys first supermarket ready to open on Broadway....then went to work with dad at Howard and Bulloughs at Stevenson st as a turner.before migrating to Australia as a 10 pound tourist.... lived in Melbourne with my brother who had migrated 3 yrs earlier...then in Sydney....and finally Brisbane.....

Tal
ps....some of you might remember our house....dad grew chysanthemums and tomatoes at the allotment near Fern Gore and sold them at the house...my 2 brothers and I were "conscripted" to work at the allotment and at the house selling.......I don,t do gardening these days...

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2006, 09:47   #2
God Member

Re: Who The Flipping Heck Is Talented

Hiya, welcome to accy web, enjoy

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:12   #3
I am Banned

hey i might look u up in brisabane i will be there in november oh welcome by the way lol i live on nuttall street not6 far from where u was
UNHAPPYONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 16:42   #4
Beacon of light

I lived on Riley's Hill until 1966 when I got married and moved to Clayton.
I remember all those names and places that you mentioned......also Mrs Almonds cake shop...Jones's Chip shop....you could buy vinegar there by the pint if you took your own bottle.......I used to take the bottle and on the way home used to drink some of it and fill ithe bottle from a water trough on Marsden Street back.
I can't remember a midwife living on Riley's Hill.......I don't know what era we are talking about.... but if it was late forties - early fifties i am sure you would know some of my brothers......I had enough of them.
The only Duckworths that I can remember were Frank and Edna Duckworth that had the 'bottom' shop....bottom because it was at the bottom of Riley's Hill. Thanks for stirring my old grey cells Tal.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 16:49   #5
Senior Member+

Hello and welcome to Accyweb. Hope you enjoy it

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 19:29   #6

norty girl......margaret.....supping vinegar.......I,m gonna tell your mum..
don,t know if the midwife was a proper midwife....but I,m alive...so she must have known to spank my bottom..... .....remember the cake shop..used to go there and get blueberry tarts....and invariably slop it all down my shirt.....

Tal
Old 09-04-2006, 19:34   #7
Beacon of light

Yes Tal, I was a bit norty.......and I don't think my ma ever cottoned on because she said she was going to stop buy vinegar by the pint as she thought that Mrs Jones was watering it down! (hehe, and it was ME all along).
Did you ever go for a warm by the big boiler of the velvet factory on Victoria Street.?....you could stand at the door and watch the boilerman sweat his proverbials off....and the heat radiated to the street.
Old 09-04-2006, 19:36   #8
Beacon of light

And did you ever go to the pantomimes at the Cotton club...near the railway bridge on Nuttall St.? They were really only supposed to be for the kids whose parents worked at Highams Mill, but lots of other kid used to go.
Old 09-04-2006, 19:41   #9

ooooooooooo yes ,margaret.......cotton club always gave the kids a christmas present....I was the first through the door...... ........remember the velvet place too....as a kid we had to keep warm in the winter months....as I got older ...learnt that you can get warm by cuddling females.......
Old 09-04-2006, 19:50   #10
Beacon of light

Seems you were a fast learner...so I don't know where the slow comes in.
You know it is ironic......I married a guy who went out to Oz as a ten pound tourist. He lived in Footscray and was schooled over in Oz. He came back to the UK sometime in the early sixties...met me and then went back to Oz...but just couldn't forget, me so he came back......we got married in 1966 and have been here ever since. Though we have been to Oz many times as his sister is still out there.......and mine too now.
Old 09-04-2006, 20:05   #11

Could never understand girls in those days...in the summer months if you suggested going for a walk up priestleys clough.......you were viewed as a potential rapist....and yet if they suggested you joined them in a nice warm house while they were babysitting.....that was all right....

Tal
Old 09-04-2006, 20:16   #12
Beacon of light

Well, there were a lot of hidey holes up Priestley clough.......we were only supposed to go there with an adult, but the lodge was a big draw......both summer and winter...catching sticlebacks.....frogspawn and the like. I did lots of baby sitting, but it was for my mum and I was looking after the little buggers.(brothers...I had Five of them......No TV!)
Old 09-04-2006, 20:18   #13
Beacon of light

We used to go picking coal along the railway line too......that was very dangerous and naughty......but it helped us get coal for the fire. We used to ask the fireman on the engine to chuck us some big cobs down...and we must've looked raggedy kids because they usually did.
Old 09-04-2006, 23:27   #14
land of hope and glory

excuse me but you are on the introduction thread! its not anyting goes! read the system!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:03   #15

Unhappy Re: Who The Flipping Heck Is Talented

hmmmmm......wonders whether to leave.......

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..