Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   childhood memories (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/childhood-memories-19126.html)

peter 22-01-2006 12:00

childhood memories

does anyone remember playing on the maypole in the swing park and when jumping off the chain behind hit you on the back of the head?

sarnie boy 03-03-2006 22:02

Re: childhood memories

lol
or riding your bike past a group of girls no hands...and falling off

Doug 04-03-2006 00:25

Being thrown from the umbrella in front of a bunch of girls and having the **** taken out of you..........

shillelagh 04-03-2006 00:38

can remember dancing round the maypole but not on a park anywhere - it was carried around and the girls who went to sunday school danced round it holding ribbons and there was one who sat in the middle and held the pole so then it wouldnt fall over.

garinda 05-03-2006 07:55

I remember when playing on the swings, when you got to a certain height it was called the 'bumps', and you used to get a real jolt that should really have given you whiplash.:)

katex 05-03-2006 10:05

Just a broken arm, but that was the death plank.

sarnie boy 05-03-2006 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
I remember when playing on the swings, when you got to a certain height it was called the 'bumps', and you used to get a real jolt that should really have given you whiplash.:)

nowadays it probably would give you whiplash everyone was harder back in the day

chav1 06-03-2006 00:34

throwing a stick up intothe conker tree and have the stick smack your friend on the head coz hes busy picking up his conkers from his previous throw :D

SPUGGIE J 06-03-2006 10:54

Rope swings too close to the tree its self. Either hit it or jump of either way pain for you a laugh for your mates. :o

Gayle 06-03-2006 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda

Swings aren't set up to do that any more. We also used to launch ourselves off the swings from it's full height to see how far we could go. I suppose there were too many compensation claims that they had to make things safer.

Less 06-03-2006 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1
throwing a stick up intothe conker tree and have the stick smack your friend on the head coz hes busy picking up his conkers from his previous throw :D

Falling from the conker tree from a height of 6' and having the wind knocked out of you, just because the flimsy branch couldn't take your weight and those all those lovely big conkers.
:o

grannyclaret 06-03-2006 16:02

having an old tyre tied to a gaslamp,and swinging..on it.and skipping with 2 ropes ..i hated turning up...(being one of the two people turning the rope)

WillowTheWhisp 06-03-2006 16:30

Those elastic things that two people put round their ankles and somebody else had to jump in and out of the middle.

garinda 06-03-2006 16:30

Wrote about it before but getting my friends to push me up and down Stanhill Lane in a wheelchair I found at the tip, that I painted beige with black spots, because I wasn't allowed a bike until I was ten.

grannyclaret 06-03-2006 16:35

i think the IN colour was ..sky blue pink with yellow dots on..or was that just a burnley thing?