Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   How Old......? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/how-old-35766.html)

flashy 30-12-2007 15:56

How Old......?

i used to bake every week with my gran, i'd say from about the age of 4, i've always involved Reece in helping me make our meals and now he can make some things himself, he's just made a lovely spaghetti bolognaise for tea (i was supervising) is he too young to be cooking meals or not?
As i've mentioned before he can already use the washer and the dryer and several other things in the house (not the iron yet though)

i want him to be independant when he grows up and be able to fend for himself.

my Question is....

is he too young at 11 to be doing all these things?

WillowTheWhisp 30-12-2007 15:59

Re: How Old......?

Certainly not. The more he gets involved in things like that the better he will be able to look after himself when he gets older.

emamum 30-12-2007 16:01

i agree with willow.... as long as he is aware of the hazards and you are not far away, probably best to give have a quick chat about first aid 2 just to be on the safe side?

harwood red 30-12-2007 16:01

no, no and thrice no

good on ya Flashy, teach em young and then it becomes the norm to them and not a chore!

I know many people on here think I am tough on my two, but they have been doing most things from a pretty young age and now they are 14 & 16 and could prob run a household pretty well...except.....

cooking...sorry but 1, I hate my kitchen 2, I think cooking is a real chore & 3, I have no patience with it although I am not too bad at cooking.

however, my youngest makes a mean homemade apple pie, thanks to his grandma

SO YOU KEEP AT IT SHAZ :psmile:

flashy 30-12-2007 16:02

ive taught him to sweep the stairs, clean his room, wash up, do the washing (not all the time of course) but when i say 'Reece will you stick the washer on please' he knows what to do, he's even started wanting to go to town on his own now...he's been into Accrington twice, but i always make sure he takes his mobile with him, with living at Intack we are in the middle of Accy and Blackburn so going to either town is just the same, i dont force him to do these things but i think its just part of growing up

Lilly 30-12-2007 16:09

I think you're doing just right. As well you not being a martyr to him, you've also done him and his future partner a big favour.

Who wants a fella whose mum has done everything for him? He'll only expect you to carry on in the same fashion. LOL :pohmy:

kathleen_firth 30-12-2007 16:14

i dont think its ever too earlyreally as long as your supervising my niece is always helping me cook and she is three... dont let her go near the cooker for obvious reasons.
but as u said he will be independant when he moves out.

flashy 30-12-2007 16:16

by the way, this isnt a thread about me, me, me (yes uncle Gary i know i waffle;) ) i just wanted opinions :D

AccyLass 30-12-2007 16:23

It is never too early to teach or encourage someone to be self sufficient.
It's definitely a better idea than just letting them do nothing, then all of a sudden in their teenage years, they are expected to clean their room, do washing up and so on.
That will definitely cause problems, but if they grow up with it and as someone else said, if they think it's the norm, they will just get on with it.
My lad is 3 and he knows his bedroom has to be tidy, if he gets stuff out he has to put it away and so on, always wants to put my washing machine on and stuff
It can only do them good:psmile:

cashman 30-12-2007 16:25

not too young at all flashy, think its the best thing ANY parent can teach a child.nice one.:pwink:

derekgas 30-12-2007 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 509869)
not too young at all flashy, think its the best thing ANY parent can teach a child.nice one.:pwink:

At a young age I thought I would like to be a chef, and could pretty much cook sunday roast by age 11, I do all the cooking now, and help out with ironing, washing and I do most of the cleaning (deep cleaning, not the daily vac), my gran was a baker, mum used to machine sew, so I am used to all of that, and it is down to having done just as you have your little on do.

flashy 30-12-2007 17:25

Derek there arent many men like you around, good on ya :D

glasgow guy 30-12-2007 18:01

blimey...not at all...I learned to cook from an early age as my mum was never in and my big sis wasnt willing to help...it helped me big time as I also learned to wash my own clothes and fend for myself - all at the age of 12 ! - put me in good stead for later life I can tell you...cos by the time I was 15 I was doing the shopping and the housework..in fact the learning to bake at an early age encouraged me to take cookery at secondary school and then my o levels in it..
and just cos I am older doesnt mean I have changed - I still do all the housework, washing, cleaning and shopping - I leave her to do the spending !!

jackyalex 30-12-2007 18:02

hes not too young flashy, and just think your future daughter-in-law wont be complaining to you for him being lazy and not being able to do anything for himself

derekgas 30-12-2007 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 509895)
Derek there arent many men like you around, good on ya :D

Thanks flashy, although when I was married I did very little, my ex wife didn't work, so I worked, she lokked after the house, my new partner works full time, as do I, we have children, so the only choice is chip in, bit of a shock to the system, but a bit like riding a bike as they say (I don't know why they say that because a bike would frighten me to death! lol)