Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Local schools could close (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/local-schools-could-close-40216.html)

jaysay 10-06-2008 09:17

Local schools could close

The Government is launching its nation benchmark for schools today with schools not reaching there targets in GCSE results in three years facing closure. Moorhead, in Accrington, and Rhyddings in Oswaldtwistle are local schools in danger, Witton Park in Blackburn is also on the list

jaysay 10-06-2008 09:19

Re: Local schools could close

Sorry put this in the wrong catagory, no doubt it will get moved soon:rolleyes:

lancsdave 10-06-2008 09:23

Moorhead won't exist by September anyway :rolleyes:

Nickelson 10-06-2008 10:23

Yeah As Above, With 10% able to be handpicked you think they wont make the cut :/

onlyme 10-06-2008 10:25

How come?

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2008 10:27

Moorhead is supposed to be closing as a High School and reopening as an Academy in September.

I just wish they'd leave well alone and let the teachers get on with actually teaching.

onlyme 10-06-2008 10:29

So its just a name change then lol

I'd hardly think it was likely that the Governement would close schools anyway, not after theyve forked up so much cash to put them there in the first place....mind you saying that, with this government, maybe

MargaretR 10-06-2008 10:31

Closure ? - surely a substandard education is better than none at all - where would those children go?

Neil 10-06-2008 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 590255)
Closure ? - surely a substandard education is better than none at all - where would those children go?

Its because of that type of attitudes that we have sub standard schools in the first place. Wash your mouth out with carbolic soap girl ( or some herbal alternative if you prefer ;) )

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2008 11:02

But what do they do when they close a school? It disrupts the children's education, especially the ones in the middle of GCSEs. They are under enough pressure already without the school being pulled out from under them!

AccyLass 10-06-2008 11:32

If they are closing MoorHead as a school then shouldn't they tell the people that attend? lol

Someone I know sends her kids there and she mentioned the other day that they need to change uniforms for September, not that they need to change schools:rolleyes:

'erindoors 10-06-2008 11:38

We have 4 children at Moorhead and we knew all about the Acadamy changes. They will still continue to go there and our eldest who is in year ten at the mo, will still be able to carry out the GCSE's that she is doing. As for the uniforms, in a news letter from the Head it states "In preparation for next September, we are in discussion about some minor modifications to our school uniform." "These modifications will be at NO cost to existing students."
Shauna (our eldest) says she has seen these 'new uniforms' as they have been getting some students to model them for photo's, she recons they look ok.

Gail xxxx

AccyLass 10-06-2008 11:40

So what about the new intake for the Academy then? WIll that differ from a normal school?

'erindoors 10-06-2008 11:45

I shouldn't think so, The Acadamy just meens you can stay on untill you're 18 and there will be alot more courses available for the students.
It's better than the Acadamy that St Christophers wanted to open, (I think), because they were going to be a bit more fussy who to let in, shall we say, those that are a bit more academic than the average joe. At least here they're giving everyone a chance.

Gail xxxx

lancsdave 10-06-2008 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyme (Post 590252)
So its just a name change then lol

pooh sticks... I've been sussed :D