Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Meat Pies (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/meat-pies-43581.html)

Royboy39 29-10-2008 21:55

Meat Pies

In Spain I can buy Hollands Pies (Take note big G)
In England I can buy Hollands Pies but they are well presented with gravy in the pie, (apart from the one I bought on the Stanley ground , it was awful.) the Spanish version has no gravy...they are frozen.
When I come to England I look for the perfect pie but alas the art of piemaking seems to have been lost.
Greggs try hard but fail...cook pie shops that we have known have gone.
My wife today made a plate meat pie with her own pastry, mincemeat, onions and gravy....I think I will renew my vows, it was ace.
If anyone is looking to start a business in Lancashire look no further than meat pies...with the odd spud pie thrown in.
Start the business at home....sell to other householders...If you fancy your chances, go for it.

Eric 30-10-2008 00:03

Re: Meat Pies

And cheese and onion pies too.

The best meat pies we get here are the French tortierre from Quebec ... not bad in a pinch.

derekgas 30-10-2008 06:56

If you visit Katies kitchen in Clayton, or Tunstalls bakery in Darwen, you may change your mind, Katies do a superb plate meat pie, and Tunstalls do a huge range of various pies including pea and ham, sausage and bean etc etc

garinda 30-10-2008 08:34

Having had the misfortune to eat a Holland's pie only once, personally I wouldn't feed them to a dog.

Still, if some people like them so be it, but I'd better not recommend somewhere that has been selling pies to the same recipe for over sixty years, and which has customers who make a weekly hundred mile round trip down from Cumbria to buy them, as the shock of of eating a pie without gristle, and non-claggy pastry, might just choke them.

:rolleyes::D

jaysay 30-10-2008 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 645698)
Having had the misfortune to eat a Holland's pie only once, personally I wouldn't feed them to a dog.

Still, if some people like them so be it, but I'd better not recommend somewhere that has been selling pies to the same recipe for over sixty years, and which has customers who make a weekly hundred mile round trip down from Cumbria to buy them, as the shock of of eating a pie without gristle, and non-claggy pastry, might just choke them.

Think you and me may just use the same shop Rindi, well not me personally, but I often get friends to pop into his shop and return with a couple of meat and potato pies, and its in Ossy:):rolleyes:

jelly baby 30-10-2008 10:20

Hopkins bakery in Gt Harwood (Queen St) and Rishton (High St) make excellent pies. I particularly like their potato pies.

katex 30-10-2008 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 645698)

Well, I will give your Mum a plug for you Garinda .. Martins in Ossy make great pies .. :mosher:

Will just accept a steak pie in fee .. :D

Eric 30-10-2008 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 645746)
Well, I will give your Mum a plug for you Garinda .. Martins in Ossy make great pies .. :mosher:

Will just accept a steak pie in fee .. :D

Do you remember that little store (oops, shop) on the corner of Church St. and Barnes St.? Made all kinds of baked goods and fantastic pies.:confused: I forget what it was called; probably 'cause at the time the name didn't seem important.

steeljack 30-10-2008 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 645668)
My wife today made a plate meat pie with her own pastry, mincemeat, onions and gravy.....

How about posting the recipe ? , sounds good like the stuff my Grandma used to make :D

the recipe for the Custard pie which Benipete posted a couple of weeks ago worked out good .

katex 30-10-2008 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 645813)
Do you remember that little store (oops, shop) on the corner of Church St. and Barnes St.? Made all kinds of baked goods and fantastic pies.:confused: I forget what it was called; probably 'cause at the time the name didn't seem important.

Do you mean in Clayton Eric ? .. if so don't remember that one, but the one on Pickup Street used to be excellent. Their little party pies were the best, had to order specially if I needed some for a party. It is still there, under another management, as a confectioners, but haven't tried it ... their goods look goody though.

Have you noticed the adds that come up when you go into this thread .. all about losing weight .. LOL.

Eric 30-10-2008 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 645819)
Do you mean in Clayton Eric ? .. if so don't remember that one, but the one on Pickup Street used to be excellent. Their little party pies were the best, had to order specially if I needed some for a party. It is still there, under another management, as a confectioners, but haven't tried it ... their goods look goody though.

Have you noticed the adds that come up when you go into this thread .. all about losing weight .. LOL.

Yup, it was in Clayton ... and I do remember that one on Pickup St. .... that was just around the corner from where my grandma Ashton lived ... all I can remember about the other one is that the paintwork was green, and it smelled great. I can think of few things I ate when a kid that weren't designed to pile on the pounds. Steak and kidney pudding, fried bread etc. etc..

lindsay ormerod 30-10-2008 18:05

Went wild and had a meat and potato pie this lunchtime, all was well till I had to chase a shoplifter half an hour later, I thought I was gonna expire !:rolleyes:

katex 30-10-2008 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 645842)
Went wild and had a meat and potato pie this lunchtime, all was well till I had to chase a shoplifter half an hour later, I thought I was gonna expire !:rolleyes:

Eeew hek, they do sit heavy for a while, don't they.

Read that shoplifting has gone up recently, blaming the credit crunch ... so no more potato pies for you young lady :nono8:

Eric 30-10-2008 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 645842)

One change I noticed when I came to Canada, was that the midday meal is light, and that the heavy meal of the day is served in the early evening, usually around 6pm. I remember having a summer job at Dutton's brewery in the sixties .... midday came and I could stuff down double pudding chips and peas, with loads of bread and something gooey with lots of custard for dessert ... this was on top of the very generous beer allowance which came morning and afternoon. Now I just couldn't eat a meal that size, let alone chase anyone after packing away all that food.:eek: Maybe it's a youth thing that allows one to eat like a threshing crew.

Eric 30-10-2008 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 645690)
If you visit Katies kitchen in Clayton, or Tunstalls bakery in Darwen, you may change your mind, Katies do a superb plate meat pie, and Tunstalls do a huge range of various pies including pea and ham, sausage and bean etc etc

Pea and ham, sausage and bean .... sounds interesting and tasty. Do they come with crust all around, or just on top? I remember having ham shank and peas, but never with a crust on.