Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2008, 21:55   #1
God Member

Meat Pies

In Spain I can buy Hollands Pies (Take note big G)
In England I can buy Hollands Pies but they are well presented with gravy in the pie, (apart from the one I bought on the Stanley ground , it was awful.) the Spanish version has no gravy...they are frozen.
When I come to England I look for the perfect pie but alas the art of piemaking seems to have been lost.
Greggs try hard but fail...cook pie shops that we have known have gone.
My wife today made a plate meat pie with her own pastry, mincemeat, onions and gravy....I think I will renew my vows, it was ace.
If anyone is looking to start a business in Lancashire look no further than meat pies...with the odd spud pie thrown in.
Start the business at home....sell to other householders...If you fancy your chances, go for it.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2008, 00:03   #2
God Member

Re: Meat Pies

And cheese and onion pies too.

The best meat pies we get here are the French tortierre from Quebec ... not bad in a pinch.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 06:56   #3
God Member

If you visit Katies kitchen in Clayton, or Tunstalls bakery in Darwen, you may change your mind, Katies do a superb plate meat pie, and Tunstalls do a huge range of various pies including pea and ham, sausage and bean etc etc
Old 30-10-2008, 08:34   #4
Give, give, give member

Having had the misfortune to eat a Holland's pie only once, personally I wouldn't feed them to a dog.

Still, if some people like them so be it, but I'd better not recommend somewhere that has been selling pies to the same recipe for over sixty years, and which has customers who make a weekly hundred mile round trip down from Cumbria to buy them, as the shock of of eating a pie without gristle, and non-claggy pastry, might just choke them.

Last edited by garinda; 30-10-2008 at 08:37.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 09:45   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Having had the misfortune to eat a Holland's pie only once, personally I wouldn't feed them to a dog.

Still, if some people like them so be it, but I'd better not recommend somewhere that has been selling pies to the same recipe for over sixty years, and which has customers who make a weekly hundred mile round trip down from Cumbria to buy them, as the shock of of eating a pie without gristle, and non-claggy pastry, might just choke them.

Think you and me may just use the same shop Rindi, well not me personally, but I often get friends to pop into his shop and return with a couple of meat and potato pies, and its in Ossy
Old 30-10-2008, 10:20   #6

Hopkins bakery in Gt Harwood (Queen St) and Rishton (High St) make excellent pies. I particularly like their potato pies.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 12:00   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Well, I will give your Mum a plug for you Garinda .. Martins in Ossy make great pies ..

Will just accept a steak pie in fee ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 17:04   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well, I will give your Mum a plug for you Garinda .. Martins in Ossy make great pies ..

Will just accept a steak pie in fee ..
Do you remember that little store (oops, shop) on the corner of Church St. and Barnes St.? Made all kinds of baked goods and fantastic pies. I forget what it was called; probably 'cause at the time the name didn't seem important.
Old 30-10-2008, 17:16   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
My wife today made a plate meat pie with her own pastry, mincemeat, onions and gravy.....

How about posting the recipe ? , sounds good like the stuff my Grandma used to make

the recipe for the Custard pie which Benipete posted a couple of weeks ago worked out good .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 17:16   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Do you remember that little store (oops, shop) on the corner of Church St. and Barnes St.? Made all kinds of baked goods and fantastic pies. I forget what it was called; probably 'cause at the time the name didn't seem important.

Do you mean in Clayton Eric ? .. if so don't remember that one, but the one on Pickup Street used to be excellent. Their little party pies were the best, had to order specially if I needed some for a party. It is still there, under another management, as a confectioners, but haven't tried it ... their goods look goody though.

Have you noticed the adds that come up when you go into this thread .. all about losing weight .. LOL.
Old 30-10-2008, 17:52   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Do you mean in Clayton Eric ? .. if so don't remember that one, but the one on Pickup Street used to be excellent. Their little party pies were the best, had to order specially if I needed some for a party. It is still there, under another management, as a confectioners, but haven't tried it ... their goods look goody though.

Have you noticed the adds that come up when you go into this thread .. all about losing weight .. LOL.
Yup, it was in Clayton ... and I do remember that one on Pickup St. .... that was just around the corner from where my grandma Ashton lived ... all I can remember about the other one is that the paintwork was green, and it smelled great. I can think of few things I ate when a kid that weren't designed to pile on the pounds. Steak and kidney pudding, fried bread etc. etc..
Old 30-10-2008, 18:05   #12
Senior Member+

Went wild and had a meat and potato pie this lunchtime, all was well till I had to chase a shoplifter half an hour later, I thought I was gonna expire !
Old 30-10-2008, 18:11   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Went wild and had a meat and potato pie this lunchtime, all was well till I had to chase a shoplifter half an hour later, I thought I was gonna expire !
Eeew hek, they do sit heavy for a while, don't they.

Read that shoplifting has gone up recently, blaming the credit crunch ... so no more potato pies for you young lady
Old 30-10-2008, 19:06   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
One change I noticed when I came to Canada, was that the midday meal is light, and that the heavy meal of the day is served in the early evening, usually around 6pm. I remember having a summer job at Dutton's brewery in the sixties .... midday came and I could stuff down double pudding chips and peas, with loads of bread and something gooey with lots of custard for dessert ... this was on top of the very generous beer allowance which came morning and afternoon. Now I just couldn't eat a meal that size, let alone chase anyone after packing away all that food. Maybe it's a youth thing that allows one to eat like a threshing crew.
Old 30-10-2008, 19:09   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
If you visit Katies kitchen in Clayton, or Tunstalls bakery in Darwen, you may change your mind, Katies do a superb plate meat pie, and Tunstalls do a huge range of various pies including pea and ham, sausage and bean etc etc
Pea and ham, sausage and bean .... sounds interesting and tasty. Do they come with crust all around, or just on top? I remember having ham shank and peas, but never with a crust on.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..