Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Christmas Dinner (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/christmas-dinner-44270.html)

jaysay 04-12-2008 11:12

Christmas Dinner

Years ago I always went out for Christmas Dinner, places like the Dunk, Marthome Grange, and for a few years the Steak Bar in Ossy, it was my Brother-in-Laws place. Does anybody still do this and what are prices like today

magpie 04-12-2008 15:36

Re: Christmas Dinner

where was the steak bar in ossy ? I remember it but can't think where the hell it was:

jaysay 04-12-2008 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 657327)
where was the steak bar in ossy ? I remember it but can't think where the hell it was:

It was next door to Owen and Ewing Insurance agents, which was midway between the Civic Theatre and Rhyddings Street, the premises is now part of that firm

entwisi 04-12-2008 17:39

Posted via Mobile Device

Its usually about 35-50 quid a head for xmas day

We have been out a number of years, this year its just julie siobhan and me so we are having a quiet one for just the 3 of us

katex 04-12-2008 17:58

Repeating past threads on this, but back to the Balti Stan for dinner (not lunchtime .. gotta wait still stomach wakes up !). They are extremely friendly there, and the surroundings are cosy and welcoming and you can stay as long as you wish.

Good news is my daughter and grandaughter has decided to join us ... as daughter appears to have got over her aversion to the smell of Indian food (can have Turkey with trimmings). So just my small family of 5.

Last year could only get in at late notice for an English 'venue' at the Red Lion Whitebirk on Christmas Eve .. was very poor food, poor lighting and surroundings, and they hurried us out to prepare for Christmas Day. Maybe different this year though, so don't wish to slate them too much.

Would not even think about cooking now on Christmas day.

Benipete 04-12-2008 18:31

The usual tin of Ye Old Oak Ham Cut thin to last 4days!:bleedht:

cashman 04-12-2008 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 657388)

Would not even think about cooking now on Christmas day.

from what ya once told me kate, ya don't think about cooking much "ANY" day.:D;)

mrskitty 04-12-2008 19:38

I have lived up here for 7 years and apart from last year i have always eaten xmas dinner at lovely restaurants/hotels in the country usually, they have charged roughly £90 a head.
Now i have a little family of my own we eat at home (hubbys a fab cook!).

cherokee 04-12-2008 20:39

well its always been xmas day at home for me, I used to love it with all the kids around, Ive always enjoyed cooking xmas dinner and watching the kids play with thier toys. (all grown up now) Sadly this year my three boys are all otherwise engaged, one familty commitments of his own and the other two are working :(
So its just hubby me and the three girls ...and to compensate ..yayyyy Our grandson. really looking foward to that. but might start thinking of spending future xmas days either out for a meal of on holiday. (we,ll see)

jaysay 05-12-2008 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 657399)
from what ya once told me kate, ya don't think about cooking much "ANY" day.:D;)

Thats a novel way of asking for a slap cashy:D

katex 05-12-2008 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 657505)
Thats a novel way of asking for a slap cashy:D

I would Jaysay, but is bordering on the truth. :o

I'm quite happy to cook plain food for myself now, but don't mind other people cooking something more exotic for me :D Food is just food to me to keep my body healthy. Really admire women (and men) who produce lovely exciting meals every day. Just find it surfeit to my requirements.

Eric 05-12-2008 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 657610)

I'm quite happy to cook plain food for myself now, but don't mind other people cooking something more exotic for me :D Food is just food to me to keep my body healthy. Really admire women (and men) who produce lovely exciting meals every day. Just find it surfeit to my requirements.

"Surfeit to my requirements":eek: Do you always talk like this .... or are you smoking something that might interest me:D And if you like something exotic, may I suggest some Giant Condor; tastes a lot like Whooping Crane only a little saltier .......;)

katex 05-12-2008 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 657619)
"Surfeit to my requirements":eek: Do you always talk like this .... or are you smoking something that might interest me:D And if you like something exotic, may I suggest some Giant Condor; tastes a lot like Whooping Crane only a little saltier .......;)

Yes, I do always speak like this ... got an issue with it ? :spank:

Am a salt addict, but not sure they sell Giant Condor on Accy market :rolleyes:

West Ender 05-12-2008 22:31

Xmas dinner, in this house, will be salmon-en-croute (Sainsbury's) as my daughter and granddaughter, who live with me, are non-meat eaters. Daughter will prepare the vegetables and pudding will be the endless boxes of chocolates we seem to acquire every Xmas - washed down with port, brandy etc.

Boxing Day will see me and all my children and grandchildren at a local hostelry which has an excellent carvery and deliciously wicked puddings. Later, we will have a buffet (most of which is already in my freezers), an awful lot of champagne and other booze, and some very silly board games. :)

jaysay 06-12-2008 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 657610)

Well it would be no good me saying come round for a meal kate, I'm worse than you, but I can grill a steak and do a fry up, so I won't starve