Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   laser eye surgery.. who has it done & where ? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/laser-eye-surgery-who-has-it-done-and-where-44461.html)

glasgow guy 18-12-2008 05:39

laser eye surgery.. who has it done & where ?

anyone on here had this done? and if so... how long did it take. where did you get it done and how much...

thanks

entwisi 18-12-2008 07:12

Re: laser eye surgery.. who has it done & where ?

Julie and I both had it done, mine about 4 years ago, Julies about 2 1/2

Optimax in Manchester

Best ££££s I've ever spent. Obviously it was dearer when I had it done (750 quid /eye ) but I had a BOGOF voucher from a bloke at work.

We had normal (non wavefront) LASIK ( the flap and zap technique).

The actual 'zap' takes less than a minute, You are in the theatre for about 10-15 for both eyes, you then sit for about 30 mins in a waiting room, they check the flaps gone down properly then you go home( you can't drive and need to wear sun glasses), sit in a darkened room for a few hours and then you are fine. There is no pain at all, your eyes just feel a little dry and you have to put some drops in for a week or so. Its quite a surreal experience when the laser is running, a bit like watching a blurred hyperactive kaleidoscope with red, green and purple lights dancing around. There is a small smell of burning though :D

Your eyesight starts 'good' and gets better for the next 3-6 months..

In my case, Op at 9:30 am, home for 11:30, bed till 3, bought a car at 5, played pool and won at 8:30pm

You have to go back after a couple of days, a week, a month , 3 months, 6 months and in some cases 12 months for checkups, I was signed off at 6 months with 5/4 vision ( better than 20/20)

I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Neil 18-12-2008 07:21

Is it a permanent fix or could yours eyes get worse as you get (even) older?
If they get worse again can they be zapped again or is it a once only fix?

mrskitty 18-12-2008 07:26

I will ask my hubby to reply to this thread when he gets in from work as he was a Laser eye treatment consultant at the opticians he works for x

entwisi 18-12-2008 08:45

The surgeon who did mine ( who is a top dog at Manchester eye hospital) explained that its a sort of 'reset' i.e. he's set mine to perfect now. They will deteriorate over years but not as fast as people who haven't worn glasses through their life. He reckons at my age when done I should be fine well into my 70's

Is it a one shot thing, not according to him as he said within 5 years my eyes wouldn't even look like they had been done. however I would also guess that in 40 years we will probably be doing something different completely.

jaysay 18-12-2008 09:34

I haven't had it done, but I had cataracts removed about 5 years ago, which is also quite simple, my sight has always been quite good, but cataracts stated to form due to steroid use. My sight was great after the ops, each eye done 6 weeks apart, I did have trouble about 12 months go when one of the new lenses started to fog, but the just lasered the lens and its okay now and will not fog again. My sight is now quite good, but I heed glasses for reading and on the computer

MargaretR 18-12-2008 09:42

My sight problem is severe astigmatism which is malfunction of eye muscles - from what I have read laser surgery is for myopia (short sightedness)
I can't get good vision with contact lenses either, because I need the lens to be the right way up and static. That would only be possible with haptic lenses (k/a 'shells') which makes eyes look bulging - I will stick with glasses.

cashman 18-12-2008 09:57

i was thinking of having it years back, but could not cos i got "Dry Eyes" the film oer me eyeballs is gone due to a chemical accident.:( know a couple of folk who had it n they swear by the results.

Benipete 18-12-2008 10:23

Quote;My sight is now quite good, but I heed glasses for reading and on the computer

Put them on then!!:D:D

jaysay 18-12-2008 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 660954)
Quote;My sight is now quite good, but I heed glasses for reading and on the computer

Put them on then!!:D:D

Will do Beni:D:rolleyes:

sparkie 19-12-2008 23:05

My grandad had his done a couple of years back on the NHS, he's just gone 80 this last week and his eyesight is perfect. They went in to remove his cateracts and lasered his eyes whilst they were there!!!! If nowt else its saved him a fortune on buying glasses, they used to cost him £400 quid a pop!!

Mr Matthew 20-12-2008 14:05

I've worked in an opticians in Glasgow for quite a while, and read some v.interesting comments.

Everybody seems to know a little about a lot of things.

Laser eye surgery is good, but to an extent it's not for everyone.

As stated previously it cannot sort out astigmatism, but can help with both long and short sightedness.

One condition you can do nothing about is presbyopia. This happens to us all between the ages of 40 and 45 and gives us the need for reading glasses.

My personal view, is between 20-35 get it done, 35+ it's not worth it, because it is only a short term measure if you want to wear no glasses at all.

glasgow guy 20-12-2008 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Matthew (Post 661630)
I've worked in an opticians in Glasgow for quite a while, and read some v.interesting comments.

Everybody seems to know a little about a lot of things.

Laser eye surgery is good, but to an extent it's not for everyone.

As stated previously it cannot sort out astigmatism, but can help with both long and short sightedness.

One condition you can do nothing about is presbyopia. This happens to us all between the ages of 40 and 45 and gives us the need for reading glasses.

My personal view, is between 20-35 get it done, 35+ it's not worth it, because it is only a short term measure if you want to wear no glasses at all.

thanks for that, good bit of info there..

where bouts in glasgow are you ??

Mr Matthew 21-12-2008 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 661642)
thanks for that, good bit of info there..

where bouts in glasgow are you ??

I'm in the East End, Great area;).

And agree with Royboy, your eyes are too important to get unqualified info.

PS. Optical express, just want money, never trust them.

Romps 21-12-2008 07:35

My colleague and her twin sister had it done on the same day by the same surgeon/optometrist. They were 58 (now 60). My colleague had so many problems/infections/pain, she had the procedure repeated 12 months later, (free of charge), sadly only to have failed once more and her sight is now actually worse than it was to begin with. On the other hand her sister's was a complete success and showed positive effects almost instantly. As stated previously its not for everyone but when it works its clearly life changing.......

Hopefully one day I'll have it done.