Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   has your sky box started going into standby? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/has-your-sky-box-started-going-into-standby-45165.html)

emamum 25-01-2009 22:13

has your sky box started going into standby?

mine's started doing it by itself, thought it was dodgy but a few people have said the same thing...is anyone elses doing it?

MargaretR 25-01-2009 22:18

Re: has your sky box started going into standby?

I have a box but don't pay - so only see free channels.
I ripped out the phone connection to it years ago so that they don't know I am using it - yet I have had that message a few times lately

Neil 25-01-2009 22:23

part of the recent forced firmware upgrade that sky do to your box without asking added a feature to put the box into standby. You can turn it off in the settings menu

MargaretR 25-01-2009 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 672372)
part of the recent forced firmware upgrade that sky do to your box without asking added a feature to put the box into standby. You can turn it off in the settings menu

How can that be? - upgrades happen down the phone line don't they?:confused: and mine has been inacessible to them for years

Neil 25-01-2009 22:39

nope they update your box from the satellite

Polly_45 25-01-2009 22:47

I get a msg on the tv screen saying sky is about to go into standby,very annoying as you have to press back button.

MargaretR 25-01-2009 22:50

Is this some pseudo attempt at energy conservation - ie, when the programmes you have scheduled to watch are about to end, they 'switch off' for you?

Neil 25-01-2009 22:58

you can turn the standby 'feature' off in the setting menu

MargaretR 25-01-2009 23:03

Save more - unplug the ..... thing

onlyme 26-01-2009 05:34

i think its great, i'm now officially green without even trying :D

And to have a little box pop up when ive been watching the same channel for an hour or so is a minor inconvenience to the electric I'll save and me greenability lol

Neil 26-01-2009 06:42

But how much do you save? I wonder what difference it makes to power consumption?

entwisi 26-01-2009 08:10

The fact that it can shut down all the decoding stream, spin down the HD and un power the video output stages must save a fair bit. In standby at worst its got to listen for a remote action to turn on and run a timer function to record anything in the planner. I think its a good idea IMHO although for the last 6 months or so I've always made the effort to switch it to standby before going to bed.

jaysay 26-01-2009 10:06

Its been doing it on Sky+ for over two years now, I've had multi room for about six month and that has just doing it lately. when the Plus box started I thought it was going wonky until I saw the warning one night. The multi room box in the bedroom goes into standby if its switched of for any length of time

Ossywarrior 02-02-2009 20:37

lolo wait till you have sky hd and nothing ever records due to "power interuption fault" :(

ring sky up and they want £75 to try and sort it and even though i bought my own sky hd box they still tie me in for 6 months :(

Gayle 02-02-2009 20:59

Yep mine has started doing that but it was around the time they installed a new box (because the other one was going a bit wonky) and so I thought it was a feature of the new box.