Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   loose potato pie (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/loose-potato-pie-57398.html)

garinda 07-04-2011 22:19

Re: loose potato pie

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 895829)
No Hedman, Scouse is a stew believed to have it's ancestry in the Scandinavian Labskause a traditional dish of mariners, so more akin to hotpot than potato pie. Mainly made of Beef & Veg but other meat can be used, dependent on budget. :)

The Original Scouse Recipe (aka LOBSCOUSE or LABSKAUSE)

Some people make their loose spud pie so wet, it is like a stew with a crust on.

Eric 08-04-2011 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 895870)
And blind scouse is scouse without any meat......a stew of just veg and barley........if you got that you knew that the state was in a bad country(i.e. you were really poor).

My potato pie has a top crust, and is usually made with corned beef......if it has no crust it is tater hash.

That's how my gran made hers ... every tuesday. The underside of the crust was to die for.

jaysay 08-04-2011 09:22

Anybody have steak pudding made in't rag, used to love it when I was a kid, never taske anything like it these days:mosher:

cashman 08-04-2011 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 897077)
Anybody have steak pudding made in't rag, used to love it when I was a kid, never taske anything like it these days:mosher:

yep funnily enough first time i had it was when i lived in Spain.:eek: a friend i got to know had it on t menu, its rather splendid.:)

jaysay 08-04-2011 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 897086)
yep funnily enough first time i had it was when i lived in Spain.:eek: a friend i got to know had it on t menu, its rather splendid.:)

Never had it for years now cashy, infact just talking about it is making my mouth water:)

mallard 08-04-2011 10:02

yes i have had them when i was a little boy at my gran she made all kind of things like that and it was good too

cribNwine 05-06-2011 13:55

Quote:

Clayton Street chippy (in Harrod) has new owners now and they have a rag pudding on their menu - apparantly its amazing and I did hear claim that if you didnt like it, u could return it! Dont quote me on that bit tho! :)

This chippy and its "Clacky Diner" remains Harrod's TOP chippy! (IMO)

cribNwine 05-06-2011 13:56

Also, I recently had FABULOUS loose potato pie with gravy on top, from that little bakery near Wilko's and opposite that cash converters shop in Accy :)

garinda 05-06-2011 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cribNwine (Post 910598)
Clayton Street chippy (in Harrod) has new owners now and they have a rag pudding on their menu - apparantly its amazing and I did hear claim that if you didnt like it, u could return it! Dont quote me on that bit tho! :)

This chippy and its "Clacky Diner" remains Harrod's TOP chippy! (IMO)

Lol, at return the pudding if you don't like it.

How long do they give you to decide?

Can you retch it back up, or even wait until it comes out the other end, before taking it back, as unliked?

I might pop down and try my luck.

:D

Gobbiner17 06-06-2011 11:40

Gobbiners Cafe in Ossy make loose potato pie for their outside catering. It consists of potatoes, steak, onions and carrots with a pastry on the top.

Scouse was, but will have changed a bit now, all the leftovers bunged in big pan and left to "gain flavour". It was stirred around bringing the bottom to the top, and continually added to. The scouse pan was rarely empty, being topped up every day.

ianakabigsy 08-09-2011 04:46

I went to a chippy in blackpool once called heskeths they knew exactly wat loose pot pie was an exactly how to make it, damn good grub
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysay 08-09-2011 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianakabigsy (Post 931996)
I went to a chippy in blackpool once called heskeths they knew exactly wat loose pot pie was an exactly how to make it, damn good grub
Posted via Mobile Device

Heskeths was well known for good grub, just wondering if its still there:confused:

Alan Gilmartin 08-09-2011 09:03

LOL, its rather splendid, I love that Mr Cashman.

mobertol 08-09-2011 12:47

Quote:

Yeah -fab! My Nanny used to make great steak puddings...they used to do a really good (and Massive!) one at The Swan with Two Necks in Pendleton too. I'm going back about 30 years before it was "done up" and they got rid of the stuffed bear!:D

mobertol 08-09-2011 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 897021)

Loose potato pie is cooked with a pastry lid, which is then cut up and served with the filling, therefore it's a pie.

A pie is anything cooked, or baked, with an edible lid.

I used to work for a caterer up in Ossy (Jean Hurn) from the age of 16-18 - serving up buffets and Loose potato pie at various local "dos" round the Accy area - the pastry was always cut up and served separately, on the side. It was always eaten with pickled red cabbage or beetroot. A great favourite especially with the older clients -Darby and Joan club etc!!:D (I always used to get great tips, especially if i had a dance with a few of the old chaps;))