Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 15:39   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: 62 Abbey Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I've Several entries in census returns where its says empty or unoccupied. Also the early Burgess Rolls do not list a No. 60.
Well, it doesn't make sense to enter a property where there is no-one living in it ....

The Burgess Rolls, of course, are an Electoral Register so wouldn't be any point in listing it if nobody was in permanent residency. Perhaps the ones listed as 'empty or unoccupied' were domestic properties only and not business premises ?

There again, could have been half-day closing when they did the census ...

Would there be anything in the Barrett's Directories ?

Last edited by katex; 11-04-2013 at 15:41.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2013, 20:14   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Ronnie Ormerod from Ossy? would he be 65ish?
dont actually know him....he owned babyland I believe
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 20:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
dont actually know him....he owned babyland I believe

Maybe the pub was three buildings at one point...1 Warner street and 60 and 62 Abbey Street ...or vice versa, and when it stopped being a pub (if0 maybe it was made into two buildings, 1 Warner st and 60 Abbey st making the doctors bit now and 62 Abbey st now the hairdressers. It was suppossed to have been a pub from1821 to 1860 ish

It certainly looks like the buildings either side of 62 and no 1 were built afterwards

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 11-04-2013 at 20:34.
Old 11-04-2013, 21:42   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Maybe the pub was three buildings at one point...1 Warner street and 60 and 62 Abbey Street ...or vice versa, and when it stopped being a pub (if0 maybe it was made into two buildings, 1 Warner st and 60 Abbey st making the doctors bit now and 62 Abbey st now the hairdressers. It was suppossed to have been a pub from1821 to 1860 ish

It certainly looks like the buildings either side of 62 and no 1 were built afterwards

Phil
There is nothing in the 1841/51/61 census returns for an inkeeper at 60 Abbey St. All the records I've gone thro show a jump from 58 to 62, It is not shown as 1 Warner St, either. There are no buildings either side of 62, No. 62 is the first one after the Black Horse on Abbey St.
Probably one of those mystries that may remain unsolved.
Restless likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-04-2013 at 21:45.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 22:13   #50

Quote:
There is nothing in the 1841/51/61 census returns for an inkeeper at 60 Abbey St. All the records I've gone thro show a jump from 58 to 62, It is not shown as 1 Warner St, either. There are no buildings either side of 62, No. 62 is the first one after the Black Horse on Abbey St.
Probably one of those mystries that may remain unsolved.
I wonder when 60 became part of the building. The docs surgery has a wopping 60 above the front door which is on the corner angle of warner and Abbey
Old 11-04-2013, 23:10   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
I wonder when 60 became part of the building. The docs surgery has a wopping 60 above the front door which is on the corner angle of warner and Abbey
Now you've got me, I've been through that surgury door many times and have never looked for a number, next time I'm in I'll ask him if he has the deeds, and what the number was when he aquired it.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 17:41   #52

Quote:
Now you've got me, I've been through that surgury door many times and have never looked for a number, next time I'm in I'll ask him if he has the deeds, and what the number was when he aquired it.
You can see it on Google streetmaps. Garry in the hairdressers collects the groundrent.
Old 12-04-2013, 18:14   #53

From what has been posted ie......
1861 census....No number 60....only 58 and number 62 occupied by Mrs Watson

1871 census...Numbers 60 and 62 together occupied by Mr Howarth

1881 census...60 is now apparently unoccupied and 62 still occupied by Mr howarth

Map of 1849 showing 60 and 62 as 2 buildings

Map of 1890/1910 showing both buildings now as one

What happenned between 1871 and 1881 when Mr Howarth lived only in 62?
Old 25-04-2013, 18:34   #54

I think we can say then that there was never a pub at 60/62 Abbey Street.....
Old 27-04-2013, 19:40   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think we can say then that there was never a pub at 60/62 Abbey Street.....
I think this is true. However, here is another avenue of exploration which I had overlooked.....in 1909-10 the Inland Revenue conducted a national survey of commercial & house properties. It is reinforced with maps I think. It is available in the Lancashire Archives, Preston.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 21:25   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I think this is true. However, here is another avenue of exploration which I had overlooked.....in 1909-10 the Inland Revenue conducted a national survey of commercial & house properties. It is reinforced with maps I think. It is available in the Lancashire Archives, Preston.

Bob, are these maps from the 1840's which is the era in question?
Old 29-04-2013, 08:07   #57
Senior Member+

No - 1910,though there are maps of this period in the library. Ask what they have: [email protected]
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 18:05   #58
Senior Member+

Been in the Docs surgery at 60 Abbey St this evening, I was looking around far more than usual for any giveaway signs, but apart from an old looking, rather ornate staircase ( ironwork with a wooden bannister that curves back on itself at the top landing) it's pretty much hidden behind panelling and woodchip.
I asked my nurse if she knew anything of the history of the building and she said straight away, no prompting " it's a protected building, used to be a pub, you can still tell from the cellar", I asked if she knew the name of the pub but she said not, although she did say that Dr Kapenda has some old documents relating to the building and she will ask him to look them out. She also said that the dividing wall between them and hairdressers next door is pretty much a partition affair. Seems like the trail isn't cold yet....
cashman likes this.

Last edited by lindsay ormerod; 30-04-2013 at 18:08.
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 18:21   #59

Iv'e often thought those stairs were rather fancy as i trudge up and down them to give yet more blood.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 19:35   #60

Hooray...maybe there is still life in this post.....the previous owner said he knew the pub name but had forgotten it....and there are some steps in the hairdressers that lead to a door into the surgery, that is now covered up with plasterboard.
Lets hope the Doc can find the documents and maybe a name or something

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..