Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/accrington-secondary-tech-rhyddings-64223.html)

ossy kid 19-05-2013 14:59

Re: Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

If it,s the 80th anniversary this year Irene then Rhyddings has been around since 1933, maybe not in the same building, but I think you may be getting The Tech and Rhyddings mixed up. The tech had a couple rooms at Moor End during the 50s prior to the amalgamation. Re Dave Lloyd and Jack Simmons, Dave 1957-62, Jack 1953-58, I was there 55-60.

cashman 19-05-2013 15:04

Thats correct, i started 1st yr at moor end, think twas Mr Ogilvie (Oggy):) That would be in 59.

ossy kid 19-05-2013 15:29

My first year at the Tech was at Moor End 1955, teacher Mr Roberts. Other teachers not mentioned Mr Waterhouse, Mr O'Hare and Mr Gregg. I remember O'Hare had a bamboo cane about 4ft long and 3/4 diam., he used to touch the floor behind him to start his swing and you heard the rush of air as it came over his head, happy days??

cashman 19-05-2013 15:35

Waterhouse rings a bell,what did he teach?:confused: was it tech drawing?:confused:

DtheP47 19-05-2013 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059500)
Waterhouse rings a bell,what did he teach?:confused: was it tech drawing?:confused:

Think so Mr C :cool:

jaysay 19-05-2013 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059475)
It changed from boys only irene wi the amalgamation wi Rhyddings, they sent the brightest pupils from yon down to the Tech n some were obviously girls, which was quite pleasing to us, as my class got a couple of crackers.:D

Um Brightest pupils, how come you managed to go there in the first place:D:D:D

jaysay 19-05-2013 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1059497)
If it,s the 80th anniversary this year Irene then Rhyddings has been around since 1933, maybe not in the same building, but I think you may be getting The Tech and Rhyddings mixed up. The tech had a couple rooms at Moor End during the 50s prior to the amalgamation. Re Dave Lloyd and Jack Simmons, Dave 1957-62, Jack 1953-58, I was there 55-60.

When I was at Ossy St Mary's in the 50s we had woodwork lessons, for a while we went to Peel Park, then to Moor End, which was great for me as I always wanted to be a joiner, of course when the Holy Family opened in 59, woodwork was on the curriculum as was metal work, the woodwork teacher was Tony Hughes brother of the undertaker Leo Hughse, the metal work teacher was Bob Almond who still lives at the top of New Lane in Ossy

Retlaw 19-05-2013 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059511)

Because they were compeled by law to take on a couple of dimwits.
So guess who qualified.:theband::theband::theband:;);)

jaysay 19-05-2013 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1059516)
Because they were compeled by law to take on a couple of dimwits.
So guess who qualified.:theband::theband::theband:;);)

When were you there Walter making up the quota :rolleyes::D

cashman 19-05-2013 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059511)

I should actually have gone the Grammar School,But fer the daft education board.:tongueout cos ive always been a clever beggar, or so they say.:D

Retlaw 19-05-2013 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059521)
When were you there Walter making up the quota :rolleyes::D

No I turned it down, left the space for you, your need was greater than mine.:tongueout

Retlaw 19-05-2013 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059532)
I should actually have gone the Grammar School,But fer the daft education board.:tongueout cos ive always been a clever beggar, or so they say.:D

And who says that beside you.
Clever buggar I'll agree with but nowt else.:tongueout

DtheP47 19-05-2013 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059532)

Back in the day we had a form to fill in 1st and 2nd choice which school you wanted to go to if you passed your 11+. (At Peel Park anyway)

I at that time wanted to join the navy as an engineer and discussions with my parents, etc decided the Tech was the best route. Never joined the navy but absolutely no complaints about the foundations Accy Tech gave me for my career paths :D

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 04:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1059497)

If what you say is correct, in what year, and why, did the Junior Technical School move out of the building across from the Palladium, and go to Moorend. What was the reason for the amalgamation, when they were two different types of schools, when initially, one would have had to pass a exam to go from Rhyddings to the Tech. This he does know was the case. Was Rhyddings school in Rhyddings Street before amalgamation. These are the questions my husband would like answered.

DtheP47 20-05-2013 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059599)
If what you say is correct, in what year, and why, did the Junior Technical School move out of the building across from the Palladium, and go to Moorend. What was the reason for the amalgamation, when they were two different types of schools, when initially, one would have had to pass a exam to go from Rhyddings to the Tech. This he does know was the case. Was Rhyddings school in Rhyddings Street before amalgamation. These are the questions my husband would like answered.

In my time Irene the Tech had an annexe up at Moor End, a couple of 1st forms as the overspill to the Union Road Building. The amalgamation I think was due to the Education Board of the time phasing out Technical Schools, maybe this was the start of our shrinking skill base as seen in industry today?
Rhyddings School was always on Haworth Street in Ossy, never on Rhyddings Street and Cashman may confirm if Rhyddings did move up to Moor End was it maybe just those Tech 1st forms coming under Rhyddings admin' etc?