Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Help in need of urgent prom transport (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/help-in-need-of-urgent-prom-transport-64448.html)

Margaret Pilkington 28-06-2013 14:25

Re: Help in need of urgent prom transport

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1064430)
It doesn`t have to cost the earth, plenty of places sell dresses second hand, and you get most of your money back when you sell it on again. You don`t have to pay for an expensive car, although in her case, there were 16 ( I think ) sharing a car, so while the car was expensive, shared between 16 it wasn`t too bad, and there were lots who turned up getting lifts from parents.
I agree about it coming from America, but it`s only taking place of the school disco`s that were around when I was at school, but on a bigger scale.
Let them have their Prom, it`s a once in a lifetime thing for them, to say goodbye to a lot of their school friends.

I would hazard a guess that most young girls of today don't really want a second hand dress...they also want all the frills that go along with such an event......spray tan, hairdo, gel nails...so what starts off looking like it is affordable can get out of hand.
But, yes Olivia enjoy your prom.

gpick24 28-06-2013 14:34

There wasn`t much dancing going on at the school discos.:D

gpick24 28-06-2013 14:42

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1064442)
I would hazard a guess that most young girls of today don't really want a second hand dress...

It was that or nothing, and there was no way of telling it was second hand. And she looked beautiful.

cashman 28-06-2013 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1064444)
It was that or nothing, and there was no way of telling it was second hand. And she looked beautiful.

Can't argue wi that,;) Have sod all against Proms really, if thats whats the thing now, But do have a definite concern about the costs,to some parents, Can remember back when some could not afford to send kids on a school trip, Don't see as anythings changed in that regard.;)

Margaret Pilkington 28-06-2013 14:51

You are right.....you can't tell, and she does look beautiful(and it isn't all down to the dress - she would look beautiful in a bin bag...some girls just have that attribute). :)

gpick24 28-06-2013 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1064446)
You are right.....you can't tell, and she does look beautiful(and it isn't all down to the dress - she would look beautiful in a bin bag...some girls just have that attribute). :)

I think she gets that from me.:D

olivia123 28-06-2013 20:05

Well prom in my opinion & many others is not a case to show off or an Americanism it's a chance to meet up with friends for the last time & have a good time.It doesn't have to cost the earth but would be nice to celebrate the day to do things in a way that is more special than normal but thank you for wishing me to have a good time & thanks for the pm!

cashman 28-06-2013 20:53

Hope yeh got sorted olivia.:)

Margaret Pilkington 28-06-2013 21:05

Olivia...I do hope you have a good time.
Why would it be the last time you will see your friends?
Surely if you are friends than you will make time to meet up and enjoy one anothers company from time to time...Ok, so you won't see these people every day like you did when you were at school...but unless you are going to be going away to Uni - then you will still have some sort of social contact.

olivia123 28-06-2013 21:48

Yes of course we will but its a chance to meet formally with all of the year & teachers etc as a year and celebrate the time we had.Prom isn't just about who had the most extravagant dress at all; well it's not how we see it anyway.

gpick24 28-06-2013 22:06

Never heard my daughter or any of her friends compare dresses other than in a good way - didn`t such & such look lovely, oh and wasn`t her dress nice, that kind of thing.
And while close friends will keep in touch, when they go to different colleges or do different courses, a lot will end up drifting apart.
Good luck Olivia, have a great time.

Ellie11 28-06-2013 22:07

Ye Olivia, god sake it's only one day no need for all this hassle. God sake, there's more to life, stop being a spoilt brat because you not have a posh car!

olivia123 28-06-2013 22:10

Thank you very much! It's not all about looks anymore!

Ellie11 28-06-2013 22:12

Gosh, teens today

olivia123 28-06-2013 22:16

Hahaahahhaah