Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Smoking ban......(Hmmmm) (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/smoking-ban-hmmmm-65739.html)

westendlass 15-10-2014 10:45

Re: Smoking ban......(Hmmmm)

We're slowly becoming state controlled robots, how long before we're all microchipped ?

MargaretR 15-10-2014 10:57

The Daily Fail said '10 years' in 2006, so 2 years to go:eek:
Britons 'could be microchipped like dogs in a decade' | Daily Mail Online

Margaret Pilkington 15-10-2014 11:16

well, it was mooted for old folks with dementia.

MargaretR 15-10-2014 11:42

Rauni-Leena Luukanen-Kilde, MD, Former Chief Medical Officer of Finland says that human microchipping is already happening.
Microchip Implants
This article may well exaggerate what is happening, but if it is possible, it likely happened.

Less 15-10-2014 11:45

Re: Re: Smoking ban......(Hmmmm)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1120920)
Rauni-Leena Luukanen-Kilde, MD, Former Chief Medical Officer of Finland says that human microchipping is already happening.
Microchip Implants
This article may well exaggerate what is happening, but if it is possible, it likely happened.

No Mags if it's possible to happen it remains possible to happen until we get a conspiracy link that says it's likely to happen.:)

Eric 15-10-2014 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1120894)
:joint::smoky::smoky: OK from now on there will be NO SMOKING while your on Accyweb :smoky: :smoky::smoky::D

This applies only to tobacco, eh;)

Eric 15-10-2014 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1120892)
Less litter?
Less bad examples to children?
Less drain on our Heath service?

However ... one could say the same about fast food joints. Come to think of it, smoking is on the decline; munching on big macs isn't.

DtheP47 15-10-2014 17:29

You are pushing on an open door there Eric as far as I am concerned.

Back on thread though, yes smoking is in decline and lot's of nicotine addicts will say they are trying to quit.
Banning smoking in parks and open places will surely help these would be quitters.

Eric 15-10-2014 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1120951)
You are pushing on an open door there Eric as far as I am concerned.

Back on thread though, yes smoking is in decline and lot's of nicotine addicts will say they are trying to quit.
Banning smoking in parks and open places will surely help these would be quitters.

But you did encourage the mini wander. You can't mention "bad examples" for kids, and added strain on the health care system without someone going "Hang on, what about etc. ... etc. .... etc. .... But smokers are a dying breed (groooan) ... Even now it is becoming rarer to see a smoker on the street ... or, for that matter a driver without a seat belt. The messages have gotten thru. The extra rules and regs that are being applied are overkill ... like kicking a defenseless opponent when he is down (Scottish martial arts;)) Enough, eh.

Gordon Booth 15-10-2014 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1120892)

Less drain on our Heath service?

Tobacco Tax income- £12 billion
Cost of treating smoking related illnesses- £3 billion.
£9 billion profit- a tenth of the total NHS cost. Are you prepared to help make up the £9 billion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1120951)
No, it will be easier for them to not walk in parks, so no exercise and their health will deteriorate even more and it will be all your fault! :eek:

Margaret Pilkington 15-10-2014 20:07

I have never smoked......I have often suggested to people that their health would be better(as well as their wallet) if they gave up smoking.....it was part of my job in pre-operative assessment(way back when)....but if the smoker doesn't want to quit then you only harden their attitude.

Most people who smoke are not daft. They know it isn't good for their health........most of them have tried to give up and failed. Some of them enjoy their cigarettes(though, for the life of me I cannot fathom out why).
The government say that smoking in parks is a bad example to children......personally I think this argument is very weak. Children see parents smoking......some of them will take up the fags...some of them won't.

It is no good saying something is banned in the public places in London if there is no-one to police the ban.

DtheP47 15-10-2014 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1120962)
Tobacco Tax income- £12 billion
Cost of treating smoking related illnesses- £3 billion.
£9 billion profit- a tenth of the total NHS cost. Are you prepared to help make up the £9 billion?

So we get people to smoke more then Gordo' ?
As Alexsandr Orlov says "Simples"

DtheP47 15-10-2014 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1120974)
It is no good saying something is banned in the public places in London if there is no-one to police the ban.

Interested to read tonight in the Northern Rail Timetable for Blackpool to York that smoking is not permitted on stations or trains. This includes electronic cigarettes.
I'll let you know Margaret how effective that ban is after I get to Leeds in the morning.

Margaret Pilkington 15-10-2014 20:46

I don't get the electric cigarette ban.
If it helps people give up on tobacco then surely that is no bad thing.
Again the powers that be think that it glorifies smoking and might....just might encourage people to smoke tobacco.
As there is no second hand smoke from these devices surely it is safer too for those in the vicinity.

We are treated like 12 year olds.
If we are old enough to pay tax, to go to war and fight, to get married, to vote.......then surely we are old enough to decide how we wish to conduct our lives.
We do not need the sanctimonious preaching of government ministers and departments to decide for us.

westendlass 15-10-2014 21:01

I'll bet there's still a lot of cigar chomping going on inside the walls of Westminster!