Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Napoleon Street (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/napoleon-street-7533.html)

Bob Dobson 26-06-2012 21:46

Re: Napoleon Street

I wonder just when the Napoleon St name came into being. This road was a turnpike and probably did not have a name such as we know when the turnpike was laid down ( although it probably was along the line of an existing road) It would be unusual for the name of an enemy to be used as a street name, and it is not surprising that it was changed to something else.

susie123 26-06-2012 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 999937)

Is that ancestry.com? I'm a member and if there's anything I can do to help just let me know. I'm not very familiar with my way round it yet so you may need to give me a few clues.

Willow, that is a very kind offer. I have seen several of your old posts on here and wondered if you were still about. I was looking earlier today to see if I could identify a certain shop in Clayton and found the right name in a free directory search on Ancestry, together with an address in Whalley Road. When I looked it up on Streetview it turned out to be the right shop and tied in with an old photo.

However to find the date of the directory I would have had to pay, but thinking about it I don't think it would add anything much to what we have already found out. So I don't think I will need to make use of your services at the moment, but I hope you won't mind if I decide later that I woud ike to find out that information.

By the way did you know that I live in Morecambe? I believe you are very fond of the place.

Thanks again for taking an interest.

Michael1954 27-06-2012 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 999929)
The title of Marquess of Anglesey (again sic) was created after the battle of Waterloo for the second Earl of Uxbridge, who lost his leg in the battle .

This seems to be spelt correctly so why sic?

susie123 27-06-2012 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 999953)
This seems to be spelt correctly so why sic?

Michael, the word sic has nothing to do with correctness. It means thus.

Added immediately after a quoted word or phrase it indicates "thus it was written" - the quoted words have been transcribed exactly as spelled or presented in the original source, complete with any erroneous spelling or other presentation. The usual purpose is to inform the reader that any errors or apparent errors in the transcribed material do not arise from transcription errors.

So as I was trying to point out that though the words were spelt differently they probably refer to the safe person, I was informing readers that I had not mistakenly transcribed either of the two words but had copied them down as they appear in the sources I used.

susie123 27-06-2012 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 999942)
I wonder just when the Napoleon St name came into being. This road was a turnpike and probably did not have a name such as we know when the turnpike was laid down ( although it probably was along the line of an existing road) It would be unusual for the name of an enemy to be used as a street name, and it is not surprising that it was changed to something else.

According to LCC the turnpike came into being in 1789 and as you say probably did not have a name as such. The need for a name arose only when houses were built along it and this was obviously after 1815 judging by this and the surrounding street names. The censuses would give a clue as to when the name was changed.

susie123 27-06-2012 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 999962)
According to LCC the turnpike came into being in 1789 and as you say probably did not have a name as such. The need for a name arose only when houses were built along it and this was obviously after 1815 judging by this and the surrounding street names. The censuses would give a clue as to when the name was changed.

On the 1845 map there are no houses at all along the road, just a few mills by the canal. It's marked Blackburn and Whalley Trust and there is a toll point at the end of Church Lane on the next corner to the Greyhound.

Michael1954 27-06-2012 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 999959)
Michael, the word sic has nothing to do with correctness. It means thus.

Added immediately after a quoted word or phrase it indicates "thus it was written" - the quoted words have been transcribed exactly as spelled or presented in the original source, complete with any erroneous spelling or other presentation. The usual purpose is to inform the reader that any errors or apparent errors in the transcribed material do not arise from transcription errors.

So as I was trying to point out that though the words were spelt differently they probably refer to the safe person, I was informing readers that I had not mistakenly transcribed either of the two words but had copied them down as they appear in the sources I used.

I am fully aware of the meaning of sic and its usage.

katex 27-06-2012 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 999962)
The censuses would give a clue as to when the name was changed.

The only clue I can find is in Andrea Davies's book 'Memories of Clayton-le-Moors and Altham'. She states the names were changed, to what they are now, at the turn of the 20th century.

She also talks about the old iron bridge crossing the canal. I picture an iron bridge of iron structure ... :) Was it rebuilt to what it is now or just my lack of knowledge of bridge engineering ?

katex 27-06-2012 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 999965)

She also talks about the old iron bridge crossing the canal. I picture an iron bridge of iron structure ... :) Was it rebuilt to what it is now or just my lack of knowledge of bridge engineering ?

It's OK ... can now see that the structure underneath has metal support. :)

claytonx 27-06-2012 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 999972)
It's OK ... can now see that the structure underneath has metal support. :)

Which bridge do you mean Kate?

katex 27-06-2012 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 999976)
Which bridge do you mean Kate?

The Whalley Road Bridge.

katex 27-06-2012 15:33

1 Attachment(s)
See it is Metal underneath. So, is that an Iron Bridge then ?

Attachment 21357

claytonx 27-06-2012 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 999990)
See it is Metal underneath. So, is that an Iron Bridge then ?

Attachment 21357

Doesn't show up on the photo, but if there are girders under supporting the brick work then I should say yes, next time you are near the Blackburn rd bridge see if there are girders under that one? Can you remember if they have been strengthened in the last few years.

susie123 27-06-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 999995)
Doesn't show up on the photo, but if there are girders under supporting the brick work then I should say yes, next time you are near the Blackburn rd bridge see if there are girders under that one? Can you remember if they have been strengthened in the last few years.

Davemac should have lots of pictures of both bridges, he often walks that way.

katex 27-06-2012 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 999995)

Did you click to enlarge ? Can see the beam across is metal.

No, can't say I have noticed it being strengthened, but wouldn't have taken much notice really... lol.