Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2007, 19:50   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington Railway track

I was walking with my friend along the accrington railway bridge that elads to owen street next to whalley road and we looked at the track and it was awfull on one side there was wheels , rubbish , allsorts. Isnt this dangerous, isnt this why some trains derail? I decided to take some pictures.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg railway.JPG (52.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg railway 2.JPG (56.3 KB, 44 views)

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2007, 21:34   #2

Re: Accrington Railway track

Hello There I Can See What You Mean But I Don,t Think The Council Service Will Do That I Think It Will Be Up To The Rail Services
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 21:42   #3
Resident Waffler

That's terrible. Who should things like that be reported to?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 23:29   #4
Resting in Peace

Coincidentally, was just thinking the very same thing as I waited for my Grandaughter tonight at the station and passed the time (was early) counting every piece of litter there.

Imagine would need something extremely heavy though to derail a train, and sure the railway authorities have this under control.

Enjoyed standing on the bridge though, extremely good view of Accrington and looking at all the buildings we have talked about, and seeing the line of the Coppice from a different angle than what I have been used to.

Even got a thrill from seeing the train coming down the track over the viaduct.

Anway, that's rich from someone who practices chalk graffiti on the pavements with rude letters (only joking honest) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x

Last edited by katex; 21-04-2007 at 23:32.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 23:41   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

that dont look too clever! had some great fun there on and by the iron bridge in days long gone, but never seen the track in that state.agree it wont be the council,but they should at least know who to contact i would imagine, or is that asking too much?
Old 22-04-2007, 10:28   #6
Senior Member+

Haha very funny katex! Hopefully this weather at the minute will wash the terrible graffiti away hehe

Old 22-04-2007, 10:30   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Imagine would need something extremely heavy though to derail a train, and sure the railway authorities have this under control.
Well i went down there yesterday and its not been moved or cleared. And i thought like peices of wood could break the trains wheels (or what ever there called) which could derail the train :S.

Haha very funny katex! Hopefully this weather at the minute will wash the terrible graffiti away hehe.

Old 22-04-2007, 10:53   #8
Resting in Peace

try this for information

Network Rail
Search

* Home
* About Us
* For Passengers
* For Business
* Community and Environment
* For Media
* Resource Library
* Careers

Contact us

You can find specific information about the railway on this website. The Community Relations section contains our factsheets which cover many aspects of the running of the railway.

Network Rail cannot respond to enquiries regarding train tickets, ticket refunds, timetables, journey planners and running times. For these enquiries, please contact National Rail Enquires on 08457 48 49 50 or your local train operator.

For any other questions about the railway or help with problems caused by the railway, please contact our National Helpline. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 365 days per year on 08457 11 41 41.

You can also contact us at:

Network Rail
40 Melton Street
London
NW1 2EE
Tel: 020 7557 8000
Fax: 020 7557 9000

An e-mail form is available should you be unable to find the answer to your question. Please note that Community Relations cannot respond to enquiries regarding train tickets, ticket refunds, timetables, journey planners and running times. Such enquiries should be directed to National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50.

For careers enquiries, please visit the careers section of this website.

For technical issues regarding the website please contact [email protected]. Please note that we cannot answer queries relating to train tickets, ticket refunds, timetables, journey planners and running times. For queries of this nature, please contact National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50.

This is the website of:

1. Network Rail Limited registered in England and Wales No. 04402220 whose registered office is at 40 Melton Street London NW1 2EE; and

2. Network Rail Infrastructure Limited registered in England and Wales No. 2904587 whose registered office is at 40 Melton Street London NW1 2EE.

* © Network Rail
* contact us
* site map
* terms and conditions
* privacy policy
* links
* help

www.networkrail.co.uk
© Network Rail
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 12:53   #9
God Member

you should see Burnley if you think Accy is bad, thats worse
Old 22-04-2007, 15:39   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
you should see Burnley if you think Accy is bad, thats worse
What I couldn't undestand Flashy was why, on the Preston side, they have placed a 'litter' holder (ya' know one of those with a hoop and bag is attached) at the top of the entry ginnel from Eagle Street/at the bottom of the bridge.

People will go on the platform, eat their Maccies/drink their coke and won't be bothered to walk the 20 yards or so back to the litter bin.

Now I know lots of scruffy litter louts are lazy and will just drop it anyway, but think would have been better placed half way down the platform as on the Leeds side and may have encouraged more people to dispose of their wrappers responsibly.

There was loads of debris/litter beyond the slope of 'No Entry' and just wondered how this got there in the first place. Do people chuck it out of the window from the train.

Looks like on FC's picture, may have been chucked from the bridge.
Old 22-04-2007, 16:37   #11
God Member

thats actually unusual for a train station to have bins kate, they dont tend to have them at all (not even the bags) because of bombs, was at Liverpool st station in London in October last year and they have nothing, litter was strewn everywhere, now you'd think being the capital they would have more cleaners on site
Old 22-04-2007, 17:04   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
thats actually unusual for a train station to have bins kate, they dont tend to have them at all (not even the bags) because of bombs, was at Liverpool st station in London in October last year and they have nothing, litter was strewn everywhere, now you'd think being the capital they would have more cleaners on site
Expect Accy station is considered a low risk for bomber's target. Never many people on the platforms ('cept a crowd of football fans now and then )
Not like Liverpool Street which is always heaving, and these evil murderers love maximum damage. The bags are nearly transparent.... not sure whether this is a ploy or not.

Agree, certainly wouldn't cost too much to have more cleaners down London, and what a difference it would make.
Old 22-04-2007, 18:13   #13
God Member

i dont suppose it matters if the bags are clear kate, if someone's going to put a bomb somewhere they could disguise it in absolutely anything...but i know what you mean

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..