Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 00:48   #46
God Member

Cool Re: Accywebbers Fav. King and/or Queen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Well that's fine and dandy, but would you stand, when told to do so, when the Queen's cousin's wife, Princess Michael of Kent, entered a room? As we were asked to do, when I was sat directly behind her at a concert at the Barbican in London. (I didn't stand by the way.) All that silly protocol should be consigned to the history books.

To me respect is something you earn, and not something which is just a result of the lottery of your birth.
It's not the person that one should respect so much as the office. I have no respect for George W., but I do respect the office of the President of the United States. When Bill Clinton was trying to convince the world that a blow job was not sex, an American friend of mine told me that he did not object to Bill screwing a 22 yr. old, but he did object to his doing it (her) in the White House. He said "Damn it all, the White House is MY house; it's the house of every American"! I think his comment is relevant to the argument. Respect for symbols is important. In some significant ways symbols are the fabric of a nation, not merely empty protocols.
The American Presidency is not a hereditary office, but it is like one in the sense that it has a continuity independent of those who hold the office or of the political parties that contend for it.
Canadians, the majority of them at least, respect the office of the Govenor General, the Queen's Viceroy. The present Govenor General, is Michaelle Jean. Originally from Haiiti, she is doing a hell of a fine job. But when people stand when she enters a room, they are standing not for her, but for the office.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2007, 00:54   #47
God Member

Re: Accywebbers Fav. King and/or Queen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's not the person that one should respect so much as the office. I have no respect for George W., but I do respect the office of the President of the United States. When Bill Clinton was trying to convince the world that a blow job was not sex, an American friend of mine told me that he did not object to Bill screwing a 22 yr. old, but he did object to his doing it (her) in the White House. He said "Damn it all, the White House is MY house; it's the house of every American"! I think his comment is relevant to the argument. Respect for symbols is important. In some significant ways symbols are the fabric of a nation, not merely empty protocols.
The American Presidency is not a hereditary office, but it is like one in the sense that it has a continuity independent of those who hold the office or of the political parties that contend for it.
Canadians, the majority of them at least, respect the office of the Govenor General, the Queen's Viceroy. The present Govenor General, is Michaelle Jean. Originally from Haiiti, she is doing a hell of a fine job. But when people stand when she enters a room, they are standing not for her, but for the office.
Well said , agree 100% , this is why society is in such a sad state , everyone wants to play by their own rules , and sod everyone else.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

« addictions | Dr Who »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..