Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2010, 18:14   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Altham/Simonstone Racecourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Think the ones who fly on Broomsticks have moved up to Ossy and become council paid 'art consultants ' and on-line shoppers
Think its a good job your across the pond SJ
Old 22-07-2010, 18:18   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Think the ones who fly on Broomsticks have moved up to Ossy and become council paid 'art consultants ' and on-line shoppers
Think yer being very unfair..................................To Witches.
Old 22-07-2010, 18:31   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think yer being very unfair..................................To Witches.
Think you'll have to run for cover cashy
Old 23-07-2010, 14:13   #19
Senior Member+

As promised, the latest news on Simmy Racecourse,

a) the map the developers showed and I saw was only a rough outline of an O/S map showing where they would like to build the course.

b) No outline or other plans have been submitted to any Council.

c) funds have yet to be sourced.

d) None has been approached regarding selling land.

e)The Simonstone course was a second option if the first one didn't get through, I think it was near Redcar but not too sure.

f) Most importantly, the land they wanted is designated a flood plain, which is land behind the old Mullard works right along both sides of the Calder to the Martholme viaduct. Without the flood plain Whalley would be swept away.

I spent many many hours with a tractor and tank trailer spreading slurry on the land north of the river and saw the results of flooding, even more so in later years when more and more buildings were going up on the Altham estate which took away a lot of grass land which would absorbe the rain and let it slowly run into the river instead of running straight in as it does now.

A final point which is a major handicap (not a racing term now) is the access roads needed to service all the traffic.
Old 23-07-2010, 21:03   #20

Thanks Gremlin, this afternoon I noticed they were clearing the land between the old railway line and Blackburn Road at Simonstone, West side of Simonstone Lane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0029.JPG (476.1 KB, 14 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 15:20   #21

Thanks Gremlin, shame nowts going to happen

Haydock it is for now !!!!!!
sazandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 18:26   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Thanks Gremlin, this afternoon I noticed they were clearing the land between the old railway line and Blackburn Road at Simonstone, West side of Simonstone Lane
Right Bob,
You will remember the land was once where the buildings stood when Mullards/Phillips made glass TV tubes there.
It has been knocked down for quite a while now and a lot of old stone was put through the crusher and piled up there, it maybe that they have found a buyer for some crush stone for a base for a road or building.
I came down Simmy lane today and the same machine was there which was in your photo.

Just on the subject on Simmy lane, did you notice the old Simonstone Hotel? It is being converted into a private house for an Asian who is a Euro MP and lives in the village.
He has had the cheek to build a small garden in front of his high wall and the garden is blocking all of the footpath. I asked my Councilor friend how he got away with it and he tells me that the Ribble Valley planning people passed it without seeing it and didn't know until he brought it to their attention. They have now been told and have written a very polite letter asking him if he would consider moving it and reinstating the footpath.
Answer yet to come.
Old 25-07-2010, 21:03   #23

Thanks, I had a look at the wall but there was a car up my xxxx and I couldn't really stop safely, photo here

Bank Terrace:: OS grid SD7733 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!
Old 25-07-2010, 21:10   #24

AN historic Ribble Valley pub will not be re-opening as a business despite objections from the parish council.
The hotel has had a chequered history and since 1999 its windows have been boarded up and it has been closed on three occasions before the former owners Punch Taverns finally accepted defeat and put it on the market in April, last year.
Planning chiefs at the Ribble Valley Borough Council gave the green light for the hotel and pub in Simonstone Lane to be converted into a private home at a meeting.

Thanks to the LET 150110

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..