Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2007, 10:29   #1

Any Ideas??

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this house might have been used for in earlier times. It looks a bit like a church window to me. It was uncovered some 10 to 15 years ago when council grants were being done in the area. At the time the local press done a few pics and a bit of a story. As I recall the contractors were told to leave it uncovered whilst investigations were carried out.
The chap there now, has made a start to render it over so I took some pics before it gets covered up again for however many years.
It's near the top of the bottom block on Sultan St. Any Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 Oct 1.JPG (158.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 17 Oct 2.JPG (153.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 17 Oct 3.JPG (152.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 17-10-2007, 10:36   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Any Ideas??

prob just a window that justed to be there some people have strange tastes .
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 11:41   #3
God Member

Interesting - lived near there for most of my life & didnt know about it, i presume that if it had been used previously for another purpose way back when would be listed in the title deeds of the house

Tried google - shame not everything is web-able like history of local streets, that would be really interesting

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 20:08   #4
Senior Member+

Hey I have wondered about that so many times; I walk past it every day and it's been bothering me too. It just doesn't fit with the rest of what passes for architecture round here, all the other terraces are the same and then you get that one sticking out like the proverbial ! It's either the end terrace or next one down from my block, very odd, looks authentic too under the more recent additions,until recently you could see that the round windows had been filled in with rubble.
Guess someone should ask the homeowner ,see if he knows owt ?

Last edited by lindsay ormerod; 17-10-2007 at 20:11.
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 20:13   #5
God Member

One thing that seems strange about this is, if it is a window its at floor level and possibly going below that, the soil pipe going in will be at floorboard height but it appears to be going through the middle of the "window"

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 20:20   #6

Odd isn't it and like Lindsay says,the holes for the windows were filled in, they were filled with pebbles of all things. I live a bit lower down accross the back, might ask the owner as suggested.
Old 17-10-2007, 21:03   #7
Resident Waffler

I used to live in Sultan Street, on the bottom row. Which side is that? I don't recall there ever being anything but houses on the odd number side. One the even number side there was the back entrance of the Co-Op which was in Water Street. I haven't been round there for a while but it was an iron mongers type place last time I looked.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 21:08   #8

Its the odd numbers side Willow, number 21 at a guess. Didn't know the co-op, been the Engineering wholesale place since I can recal...been round 'ere bout 24 years now
Old 17-10-2007, 21:12   #9
Resident Waffler

I used to live at number 15, the back to front one, a lot more than 24 years ago.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 21:00   #10

Pulled this back out of the cobwebs as I eventually managed to have a word with the bloke who lives there. Still no wiser tho, apparently the council have told him if he knocked some of the window through it would look nice with stained glass, alternatively he could give them £150 to render it over.

Maybe I should have posted this initially in the Old Accrington section, the chaps there might have an idea, with luck they may read this who knows.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..