Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 11:53   #1
God Member

Anyone have the time please?

OK this may sound a silly question but I have my reasons, is anybody else having problems with their clocks?

The reason I ask, I have two clocks, one is in the living room the other is in the dining room, and both were very reliable time keepers until about a month ago. Now they keep stopping for no reason, I change the batteries they work again for about a week if I’m lucky. I can’t understand why the batteries are draining so quickly, one I could understand as being a faulty clock but two!! There’s also no age correlation to the clocks, one is roughly ten years old the second is quite a recent purchase.

Anyone any suggestions because I’m finding it very strange?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:47   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Anyone have the time please?

its very strange that tinks,can't explain it, reminds me of a song- funny how time slips away. lol
Old 05-11-2005, 14:05   #3
God Member

Maybe you got some duff batteries

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 14:05   #4
God Member

lol Cashy it's not slipping away though, time's standing still !!
Old 05-11-2005, 14:09   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
Maybe you got some duff batteries
No it's not a bulk pack of batteries or anything. 2 of the batteries were old ones I had in the cupboard and the others are different sets of duracell 4 pack bought at ASDA.
Old 05-11-2005, 14:51   #6
God Member

You must have a ghost then that didn't like the clocks being put back

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 15:11   #7
Member.

A Ghost could draw energy from battery in order to manifest. Quite often those investigating a haunting would find that the batteries used in EMF meters, camcorders, voice recorders and cameras would be instantly drained or would malfunction due to fluctuations in energy levels. That said it take an awful lot of energy so a ghost is unlikely there tinks. Check to dates of the multi pack, even batteries have a sell by date and can discharge over time. But the most likely cause is furring on the contacts inside the clocks. Just get any implement with an abrasive tip and gently rub the contact points until you can see shiny metal again…..By the way, take your time and don't take to much of the contacts surface off

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 15:25   #8

I once got told by a clock repairer never use duracell in a clock. Reason been is that they're to strong of a battery, don't know if it's correct or not so don't quote me on it.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:34   #9
Resting in Peace

I once had this problem ... finally solved though. Discovered grandaughter was exchanging these for her worn out ones in those portable music things, etc., they carry around with them!!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:55   #10
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
I once had this problem ... finally solved though. Discovered grandaughter was exchanging these for her worn out ones in those portable music things, etc., they carry around with them!!
what an intelegant child ... she should go far.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:23   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
love enterprise nice one grandaughter,lol could that be a possibility tinks?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:27   #12
Resident Waffler

We've got one bit of clock weirdness. One location in the house where a clock will never work. We even tried a new one there and that broke too.

Ghosts? Gremlins? Or just plain weirdness?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:18   #13
God Member

I don't have clocks in my house that run on batteries anymore, and never will ever again. The reason being, I used to have a nice clock on the chimney breast when my nan died, I noticed that the clock had stopped about 10 hours before she died. Didn't think too much about it at the time and just replaced the batteries.
Then on the day my dad died, I noticed the clock had stopped about 10 hours before too, coincidence?? don't know, but, after that I wouldn't have another clock in the house that ran on batteries.
Then one day I went round to my mum's house. She mentioned her clock had stopped and, I told her about what happens to mine when people died. She didn't so much as call me a weirdo, but the eyes said everything. That evening, we got a phone call, my grandad, my mum's dad had passed away suddenly, very suddenly. I forgot about the clock business at this sad time but, after the funeral I mentioned it to my mum again, she didn't give me the 'yeah yeah weirdo' look.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:47   #14

It sounds to me that your house has been built on the edge of a time vortex!

If I were you I would take every care not to be drawn into it. Lets face it, you do not want to find yourself in the middle of next week.

The odds are your clocks have proven to be a worthy early warning system!

If I were you I would forward your observations to Grenwich!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:51   #15
God Member

That's why I wont have clocks that run on batteries in my house anymore.
It freaks me out when they stop, so I wont have them in the house.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..