Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2012, 18:15   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Are You afraid of needles

I never bother about having blood taken and like others on here I like to watch and make sure they get some.

I once had to have an injection before a camera was used to do a routine check for bowel cancer, (all clear luckily) and the doctor and nurse had to have a short break after a comment I made before they could continue.

The nurse said "you will just feel a sharp scratch" and I asked had the rules changed, they asked why and I said "they used to say, just a little prick sir". They both turned away and I knew they were having a chuckle.
Old 30-05-2012, 18:22   #32
Beacon of light

Many years ago(I was just a student Nurse so it must have been the mid seventies) a doctor said this to a little old man on the Urology ward....he said to the Doctor 'neaw then, tha's no need to be personal...an' tha'll be owd thissen one day' - that made me chuckle!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:32   #33

Doesn't bother me having injections, but the one I had in my eye a couple of months ago is an experience I will never ever repeat!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:38   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Doesn't bother me having injections, but the one I had in my eye a couple of months ago is an experience I will never ever repeat!
Its not or pleasant having cataracts done either Anne
Old 31-05-2012, 18:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No I had a cataract removed earlier this year (one of the reasons I was off work for ages, I have an eye condition which caused it and then flared up really badly after), I had to have a general anaesthetic because I couldn't cope with the local, I felt like a complete baby with all the very elderly ladies taking it in their stride!
But what a transformation after! It's like a miracle being able to see again!
Old 31-05-2012, 19:44   #36
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Oh, don't say that John....it is something that I will need at some point in the future.......not looking forward to it.
Think I might just be a wuss and request a GA.(general anaesthetic)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
No I had a cataract removed earlier this year (one of the reasons I was off work for ages, I have an eye condition which caused it and then flared up really badly after), I had to have a general anaesthetic because I couldn't cope with the local, I felt like a complete baby with all the very elderly ladies taking it in their stride!
But what a transformation after! It's like a miracle being able to see again!
Your not kidding, when I came home after having just one done, I thought I'd got a new carpet, the colours were so vivid and the colour on the TV was much better too
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington;, the only thing you see 995323
Oh, don't say that John....it is something that I will need at some point in the future.......not looking forward to it.
The first one was a bit iffy, but when I had the second one done it was just plain sailing, its just that you don't know what to expect at first, but its still a bit strange, the only thing you see is a bright light and you feel nothing Margaret
Old 01-06-2012, 14:13   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Margaret from my own experience I would advise you to insist on a general anaesthetic, I was in theatre about to be operated on under local before it was decided I was having a panic attack because of the horrible cover they stick all over your face. I thought I was suffocating!
Old 01-06-2012, 14:20   #40
Beacon of light

My brother works in the theatres where they do this kind of surgery.......and he was telling me that I would feel nothing other than a sensation of pressure.
I never worked on opthalmics as a nurse, I did general theatre instead.

Despite the risks from a GA....I think it would be far better for me - they don't want to be having to chase me down some corridor to get me into theatre.
Old 02-06-2012, 14:00   #41
Senior Member+

when i was younger i had a sist removed from my eye. no way I was going to have that operation awake-- I was given the choice. No thank you

Old 02-06-2012, 14:07   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I had n eye op about 4/5 yrs ago on Christmas Eve, only had a local, can't remember em giving me choice? twas no big deal though.
Old 02-06-2012, 17:16   #43

I also had an eye op a few years back. Like Cashman they didn't give me a choice, but once they injected the local they struggled to turn back my eyelid, and talked about taking me to theatre for a general. I was really disapointed when they were saying this, as i found it very interesting knowing what they were doing. But thankfully, they did manage to turn my lid back so didn't need to go for a general. I think the thought of the injection was more terrifying than the actually injection.

Last edited by Sara; 02-06-2012 at 17:16. Reason: wrong word
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 17:21   #44
Beacon of light

If, and when, it becomes necessary for me to have my cataracts treated I will be requesting a GA.......I won't wait for a choice....I will bring it up myself.
Old 02-06-2012, 20:14   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If, and when, it becomes necessary for me to have my cataracts treated I will be requesting a GA.......I won't wait for a choice....I will bring it up myself.
Again Margaret - just insist - I had three chances at my op - the first they wouldn't do it because of inflamation, the second I had the panic attack in theatre, the third under anaesthetic was a success. It's far better when you're out of it, just let the experts get on with it!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..