Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 02:21   #1
Senior Member+

being filmed on a mobile fone...

ok suppose ur doin something - not illegal - and some guy comes and using his mobile foen films u

considering that u didnt give permission for him to film u what r ur options?

can u get that guy to delete the vid from his fone?

a doorman friend of mine regulary gets threatened and one day whilst evicting a guy who had attacked him he was bieng filmed by a person and he was askin me what is the legal position as such?
Old 03-03-2006, 04:00   #2
I am Banned

Re: being filmed on a mobile fone...

all i know for sure is that any video footage taken by security cameras like in shops etc you are entitled to a copy of it if you ask but cant stop them filming you

that probably applies to all video footage but i dont know for sure
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:08   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Rindy would demand that they stopped until he made sure the make up was right, and that they were taking it from his good side, then no doubt if they continued he would take the huff and retire for the day to his caravan talking to his agent!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:07   #4
Resident Waffler

That's a good question. I remember in the olden days when they showed video footage on TV they used to ask people's permission first but they don't seem to bother doing that these days.

I suppose you could politely ask them to delete it, but what do you do if they refuse?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:58   #5
God Member

I cant see it being much different from photography. I had to look into this as an amatuer photographer. This is what I got told by a proffesional photograpy company

"The legal side says that if you are on public land and you are only photographing what everyone else can see then it's okay. That's how the paperazzi get away with the photos on beaches of celebrities."

Once its in your camera and legally obtained then you the taker of the photograph own the copyright and can do what you want with it.. including selling it.

If video is different then its different.. but I would be surprised if it is much different.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:39   #6
Resident Waffler

That's a good point. I often take photos in town and people obviously feature in some if not all of them.

There is all this hooha these days though about not photographing children's sports day events etc because you might get other people's children in your photo. I got a letter from school not long ago asking if I mind my daughter being videoed in class as part of a training thing for some people there work experience, and yet the video was only going to be used within the school.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:24   #7
God Member

Photographing children is a grey area. Good practice and something I have always done is to NOT photograph children unless unavoidable in the background or part of a bigger picture OR if the parents are there getting me to photograph.. for example walking around the ground on matchdays a parent will attract my attention and point to there kids (yes yes you ahve to presume they are theres) The only candid shots of children are of ones I have permmision to take or my own.

Schools and organisation now have parents sign forms to say there children can be photographed but as far as I know there is no legal law that says you cant take pictures of children under the circumstances of my earlier post re public places blah blah .. However it is such a grey area I find it best to simply not do it.

I have 30 thousand pictures on my website now (well 400 short of ) and there are no candid shots of children that I wasnt given permission to take and use.. there are children either OK tot ake or as part of another picture

Candid = shots taken of not posed/set up, and usually the subject unaware.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:33   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Rindy would demand that they stopped until he made sure the make up was right, and that they were taking it from his good side, then no doubt if they continued he would take the huff and retire for the day to his caravan talking to his agent!

No like Greta Garbo, I want to be alone.......unless the money's good and Mario Testino is doing the snapping.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 21:18   #9
Senior Member+

but what if this was taken inside a nightclub for example?

private property etc?
Old 03-03-2006, 21:42   #10
God Member

We were told at Mid Pennine Arts that crowd shots where there were children and adults were perfectly acceptable. The assumption being that if a person is in a public place then we should be allowed to record a public event. However, if a shot involves homing in on any one person we should be extremely wary about using it. Our photographer now has to ask anyone if he's planning on taking any 'individual' shots.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 21:52   #11

i suppose there is not a lot you can do about it really
i dont see why anyone would want to video things like evicting someone from a club
its not like they can use it against you
Old 04-03-2006, 02:16   #12
God Member

Think thats a shame really kipax, kids are so photogenic, and candids are often the best. I love taking candids. And a park is one of the best places too, people having fun, enjoy themselves. Why do people have to turn everything into something sinister.
Photographs are a bit different to video. your not supposed to video ppl with security cameras in a public place without good reason and are supposed to make them aware. But then we've got the bbc putting web cams of seaside seafronts on their site. Only way I can think they're getting away with that is either it's cos it's not live stream, but snap shots, every five seconds, or web cams aren't covered.This would be strange because people use web cams as security cams. http://www.forum.atherstone-online.c...B,m=1137147185
If the person could see they were being videod and the video has time and date and is clear enough, I'm not so sure that it couldn't be used.
Quote:
all i know for sure is that any video footage taken by security cameras like in shops etc you are entitled to a copy of it if you ask but cant stop them filming you
you are but only if you give a good reason and that reason is the to do with what the system was designed to achieve.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:07   #13
God Member

Gayle: like wot i said then?

madhatter.. agreed candid shots are the best.. i dont like taking posed... people always comment on my candid ones.. and of course candid shots of children are by far the best because of there innocence etc I have some really good ones of my kids (not published).... unfortunatly its a nasty world we live in and thats the sort of picture naughty people prey on ..... If I saw someone taking sneaky (another word for candid surely?) of my kids I would probably slap them and then ask later what they where doing..... just in case ;-)

Video .. more chance of getting done for vouyorism (spello?) i suspect...as per recent case of council workers who pointed security camera into womand house/flat whatever...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:43   #14
God Member

But isn't it a shame when we automatically assume (and I would be in that category) that someone taking a candid shot of one of your kids is upto no good, never mind that it maybe just someone who loves photography and your child happened to be doing something special or pulling a funny face at the time!!

I also love the unposed pics best, it captures the true spirit of people.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..