Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2011, 12:32   #1

Question bikers

hi everyone. I am planning to cycle soon from Liverpool to Leeds along the canal and I know that Church is the recognised mid-point and the church in Church was used by the navvies who built the canal in the first place. Does anyone know if there is anything in St Johns Church that commemorates the navvies, their achievement of the canal itself? ta!
bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2011, 12:50   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: bikers

Hi welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey. If you read this page on wiki it states that Clayton-le-moors is the half way point but I thought it was Church

Clayton-le-Moors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Found this as well showing the 1/2 way point http://www.towpathtreks.co.uk/photodisplay.asp?ino=0666

Last edited by Neil; 29-09-2011 at 12:53.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 18:16   #3
Resting in Peace

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your ride
Old 29-09-2011, 19:24   #4

Your right about Clayton le Moors and that fancy bit of sculpture from half way mark. The length of the canal has varied over the years with navigable bits being added and /or 'filled in' and the plaque on Wiki was the original mid point. I read somewhere though that Church was used as a midpoint base when they were building it and the Church itself was important to the workers then too.

T'wud be a shame if there is nothing there to commemorate such a massive engineering project and the lives of the blokes who did it.
bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 20:56   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If you start a thread about the canal in history section I bet you will get a few of our experts give you some information.

This introduction section is not supposed to become a chatty thread but you wont shut our members up everywhere else on the forum
Old 27-10-2011, 08:50   #6
I am Banned

Groove has had many a good ride down the canal
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 12:01   #7

So have I but it wasn't on a bike either

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..