Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2006, 11:56   #1
Senior Member+

Blythes Chemical Works

I am trying to find out information about an explosion at the works many many years ago that killed a lot of people and destroyed some houses in the area around Lion street and Barnes street is this fact. How do I find out if it actually happened. Maybe Tealeaf would have some info on the subject.
Old 14-10-2006, 21:34   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Blythes Chemical Works

I think the 'Canary Island' munitions factory is what your after, exploded during WW1, people that worked there it's said had a yellow tint to their skin. I'm sure someone will have more in depth information, thats all I know sorry.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 21:57   #3
Member.

Hi Janet,

You might have already seen this? I remember reading a few months ago.

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/...nds_blast.html

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 22:23   #4
I am Banned

The incident happened at 0445 hours on Friday April 27th 1917.
The location was Cateholme Chemical Works Church a subsidiary of Blythes. The news was suppressed because of wartime censure.
Police Constable 819 J Hardacre lost his life whilst closing the magazine doors, if he had failed Church would be no more.

They were manufacturing and explosive derived from Picric Acid, and Trinitrotoluene, which tainted every thing yellow that was why it was known as Canary Island.

There was some damage to property in Church, but not as bad as would have been but for P.C. Hardacres heroc deed.

The superintendant of Accrington Fire Brigade had already drawn up contingency plans. Three members of Accrington Fire Brigade and three from Church Fire Brigade were awarded the O.B.E.

Walter.

Last edited by Retlaw; 14-10-2006 at 22:29. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 10:43   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks very much to you all for answering.
Doug, checked out observer report and copied it. Thank you.
Old 25-08-2015, 09:37   #6

Hiya
Apparently my great grandad worked here ...Thomas Murphy and we are looking to gain some understanding of when he worked here ( to enable us to trace family)
Would anyone know whether there were historical records for Blythe please
Letti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 11:08   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

DId he work at the Church works or Hapton? I was at Church from early 77 and he wasn't yon then, If Church yer best bet is ring up and ask personnel, Haptons demolished and long gone, so yeh may have a struggle wi that, but personnel should know.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..