Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 15:55   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Bookworms:What are the best first lines you've read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Don't know if you're lowering or raising the tone with that
Most definitely raising Sue. Along with the glass of "Uisge beatha"
Old 06-05-2012, 15:56   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

"Developements in the field of electronics have constituted one of the great success stories of this century".

Horowitz and Hill: The Art Of Electronics

I've read that opening line hundreds of times, still not got to the end of the book, some of the pages are well thumbed because there are some explainations I just can't get my head around. As a reference book I suppose it's one of the more interesting.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 15:58   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Most definitely raising Sue. Along with the glass of "Uisge beatha"
I'll drink to that!
Old 06-05-2012, 16:24   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Think the quote is from Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood... which became the stage play I am a Camera... which became the musical Cabaret.
Ooops ... sorry about that .... should have put in the title, my fault

Oh ... and I always re-read my fav books ... they are like old friends. I always find new ways of reading them ... often, something obvious that I had missed. Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy, Ray Bradbury's short story "The Smile" ... "Catch 22" ... "Goodby to All That" ... "Canticle for Liebowitz" ... "Dune" ... "Tristram Shandy" ... "Egil's Saga" ... maybe I could be reading something new, but I love getting together with old friends, esp. ones that don't raid my fridge and drink all my beer.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 16:24   #20
God Member

Quote:
I often re-read books, usually after a long enough interlude. Another evocative introduction is :-

In a hole in the ground lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare,sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

J.R.R Tolkien "The hobbit"
Good one -haven't re-read it in years!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 16:25   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
"Developements in the field of electronics have constituted one of the great success stories of this century".

Horowitz and Hill: The Art Of Electronics

I've read that opening line hundreds of times, still not got to the end of the book, some of the pages are well thumbed because there are some explainations I just can't get my head around. As a reference book I suppose it's one of the more interesting.
Light reading for bedtime - would put me to sleep immediately

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-05-2012, 16:34   #22
God Member

Is this limited to prose fiction? There are some great opening lines to poems and plays; one I find hard to resist: "An old, mad, blind, despised, and dying king." Shelley, "England in 1819".
Old 06-05-2012, 16:38   #23
God Member

In that case allow me:

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight"
EBB

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-05-2012, 16:43   #24

Quote:
I often re-read books, usually after a long enough interlude. Another evocative introduction is :-

In a hole in the ground lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare,sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

J.R.R Tolkien "The hobbit"
Aaaargh! Looks like another trip over to Amazon, haven't read it in years, let someone borrow my copy, usual thing happened, meanwhile, might just go to bed with 'The Lord Of The Rings', (ooerr missus), the same person wanted to borrow that at the same time, glad I said they could have it after they returned 'Hobbit' or I'd have lost that as well.
Old 06-05-2012, 16:44   #25
Senior Member+

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed

'The Dark Tower' Series(my fave books) - Stephen King
Old 06-05-2012, 16:46   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Aaaargh! Looks like another trip over to Amazon, haven't read it in years, let someone borrow my copy, usual thing happened, meanwhile, might just go to bed with 'The Lord Of The Rings', (ooerr missus), the same person wanted to borrow that at the same time, glad I said they could have it after they returned 'Hobbit' or I'd have lost that as well.
I could lend you a copy in Italian - my son's, I read it last while at Uni., quite a while ago now.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-05-2012, 16:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I could lend you a copy in Italian - my son's, I read it last while at Uni., quite a while ago now.
O.K. it could go on my bookshelf next to the 'art of electronics' and other books I either have no chance or no inclination to finish.
Old 06-05-2012, 16:51   #28
God Member

This one's in my bookshelf and has an interesting start:
"Julien Barneuve died at 3.28 on the afternoon of August 18, 1943. It had taken him twenty-three minutes exactly to die, the time between the fire starting and his last breath being sucked into his scorched lungs. He had not known his life was going to end that day, athough he suspected it might happen."
Another of Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio, which I would recommend.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-05-2012, 16:55   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed

'The Dark Tower' Series(my fave books) - Stephen King
Ah, "The Dark Tower".

My first thought was, he lied in every word,
That hoary cripple, with malicious eye
Askance to watch the working of his lie
On mine, and mouth scarce able to afford
Suppression of the glee, that purs'd and scor'd
Its edge, at one more victim gain'e thereby.

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came: EBB's husband.
Old 06-05-2012, 16:58   #30
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ooops ... sorry about that .... should have put in the title, my fault

Oh ... and I always re-read my fav books ... they are like old friends. I always find new ways of reading them ... often, something obvious that I had missed. Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy, Ray Bradbury's short story "The Smile" ... "Catch 22" ... "Goodby to All That" ... "Canticle for Liebowitz" ... "Dune" ... "Tristram Shandy" ... "Egil's Saga" ... maybe I could be reading something new, but I love getting together with old friends, esp. ones that don't raid my fridge and drink all my beer.
Thought you were leaving me a little amuse-bouche to get my teeth into Eric...

If I were to re-read any books, Catch-22 would be one... and Catcher in the Rye another. I read Canticle for Leibowitz aout 35 years ago, remember v little about it so perhaps I should go for that as well. Not really a SF fan though.

Two books I do reread at Christmas time are The Country Child and A Traveller in Time, both by Alison Uttley. They are supposed to be for children but I find them very evocative of times past and reading the chapters about Christmas are what I need to get me into the spirit of the season, which I otherwise find very difficult. Another children's book which I heave read over and over is The Woolpack by Cynthia Harnett, a story about the wool trade in the Cotswolds in the 15th century. I prefer historical fiction for children as the adult stuff tends to come in rather weightier tomes which really put me off!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..