Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 13:15   #1
Ski

Building Required.

I am looking for a building to run an indoor archery range / club.

I want to make archery in the North West a popular sport with the possibility of the 2012 Olympic Archer representing Britain coming from Lancashire.

The building has to be a minimum of 30 metres long and 25 meters wide or bigger.

The only thing I have found is an industrial unit with the annual rent and business rates of around £100K per annum. (Far too costly)

If anyone has a building or has knowledge of someone who can help please let me know.

Many thanks

Ski.

Alec Bourne
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2008, 13:50   #2
I am Banned

Re: Building Required.

Whats wrong with the local council chamber, preferably when their having a meeting.
Sorry I couldn't resit it.
Retlaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
I am looking for a building to run an indoor archery range / club.

I want to make archery in the North West a popular sport with the possibility of the 2012 Olympic Archer representing Britain coming from Lancashire.

The building has to be a minimum of 30 metres long and 25 meters wide or bigger.

The only thing I have found is an industrial unit with the annual rent and business rates of around £100K per annum. (Far too costly)

If anyone has a building or has knowledge of someone who can help please let me know.

Many thanks

Ski.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 14:00   #3
God Member

Our country has a proud history of having the best archers in Europe, who saved the day in many a battle.
I am glad that it was restored to Olympic status as a sport (we have a good chance of getting medals here )

I have never known it to be practiced indoors
Doesn't part of the archery skill involve compensating for outdoor wind strength and direction?
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 14:22   #4

I use to practice archery many moons ago at the New Era, so i'm wondering could you maybe not hire a room at the sports centre. Would be a lot cheaper then 100k

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 14:38   #5
Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Our country has a proud history of having the best archers in Europe, who saved the day in many a battle.
I am glad that it was restored to Olympic status as a sport (we have a good chance of getting medals here )

I have never known it to be practiced indoors
Doesn't part of the archery skill involve compensating for outdoor wind strength and direction?
Archery is very much practiced indoors, especially in the UK.

As you are aware British weather is not the kindest to outdoor sports and the North West has lakes, green lush grass and reservoirs due to its consistent rainfall. Spending 2 -3 hours a day exposed to the elements is not conducive to training. This is why indoor ranges are used. Yes you can only shoot distances of 20 -40 yards, where as in competitions men are required to shoot up 100 yards. This is not too much of a problem as the techniques and equipment is pretty much identical.

The problem is finding a building suitable. There is very little financial support for this – hence no indoor archery clubs in the area.

Alec Bourne
Old 03-02-2008, 14:42   #6
Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I use to practice archery many moons ago at the New Era, so i'm wondering could you maybe not hire a room at the sports centre. Would be a lot cheaper then 100k
Sports centres usually cost £50 / hour if you supply all your own equipment. You need a Transit van and 30 minutes to set up.

We Hire Hyndburn Sports Centre once a year for our indoor championships. All day costs in excess of £600.

Hence the need for a building set up ready.

Alec Bourne
Old 03-02-2008, 14:46   #7
God Member

Have you considered applying for some funding?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 15:00   #8
Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Have you considered applying for some funding?
Yep been there. The most available is £6K, from two different sources.
Many are interested but funding is extreamly limited. Until there is already something set up and is a growing concern, no one can offer much.

This is why I am so frustrated.

I know it will work, but cannot get it off the ground.
All units are expensive, and will need planning permission for change of use.

Alec Bourne
Old 03-02-2008, 15:01   #9

[quote=Ski;526195]Sports centres usually cost £50 / hour if you supply all your own equipment. You need a Transit van and 30 minutes to set up.

We Hire Hyndburn Sports Centre once a year for our indoor championships. All day costs in excess of £600.

quote]

Ouch, that is expensive.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 15:04   #10
Ski

[quote=Sara;526210]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Sports centres usually cost £50 / hour if you supply all your own equipment. You need a Transit van and 30 minutes to set up.

quote]

Ouch, that is expensive.
Yep- That is why I am looking for a building - old barn, indoor equestrian centre, farm building, garage, anything substantial to get it started.

Alec Bourne
Old 03-02-2008, 15:08   #11
Ski

A School hall can be used if we can store equipment there and have use of it most evenings and weekends, just to get started.

Any suggestions???????????

Alec Bourne
Old 03-02-2008, 15:12   #12

I think West End Youth Club in Blackburn Town Centre would be large enough but you would have to check. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than 600 pounds.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 15:20   #13
Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I think West End Youth Club in Blackburn Town Centre would be large enough but you would have to check. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than 600 pounds.
Do you have any contact details.

I will look into it.

Thank you.
Ski

Alec Bourne
Old 03-02-2008, 15:31   #14
God Member

Why don't you try New Era again?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 15:45   #15
God Member

Golf driving practice ranges have participants under cover and the targets in the open air.
It would need a much smaller building with one open side
just a lateral thought that might be of use
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..