Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 18:43   #1
God Member

Can Anybody Help Please?

I am moving in a few weeks and as I don't want to be without internet connection was thinking of getting a dongle to tide me over till I get connected again. Can anybody recommend who to go with please? Would be grateful for any input
Old 11-02-2010, 19:04   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Can Anybody Help Please?

Do you know anyone who is using one near where you will be moving?

They are like mobile phones - some work better in some places than others.

Have a look at the 1 month contract ones from 3. Here is a link and I can tell lots of people on here use them.

3 Store - Mobile Broadband

Look at the top one £9.99 for the dongle and then pay £15 for 3Gb download for a month. After the month if you still need it just pay another £15. If you don't stop using it.

That is possibly the cheapest for you although a few people have had a few connection issues with those recently.

Personally I have a Vodafone one for occasional use. It is about £35 to but and then £15 per Gb used. I like it because it does not expire after a month if you have not used it up. I have to connect once every 3 months to keep it active. I use it rarely so is good for me.
I pay 3 times and much though for my bandwidth compared to the 3 one but my £15 will last me months the way I use it.
Old 11-02-2010, 20:00   #3
God Member

Thanks Neil will ask if anybody is using one. And thanks for the info
Old 11-02-2010, 21:41   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is possibly the cheapest for you although a few people have had a few connection issues with those recently.
Mine has actually improved in the last few days. Sod's law because I got so frustrated with it I ended up ordering a landline for the shop
Old 11-02-2010, 21:55   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Are you using the 3Gb 1 month at a time contract one so you dont get rodgered if you go over the 3Gb?
Old 11-02-2010, 21:56   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are you using the 3Gb 1 month at a time contract one so you dont get rodgered if you go over the 3Gb?
Yes, and don't bother asking me how much I use because I never checked

Never paid extra though
Old 11-02-2010, 22:01   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Well if you don't go over there would be no point having the 5Gb for £15 on contract with the risk of charges if you do go over - they usually charge a lot when you go over your contract. Thats why I like the pay as you go ones.

What happens after you month is up?

Is it 30 days or 28 days or what?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43   #8
God Member

do you know your neighbours where you are moving to because if they have wireless you can log into their router if they give you the key

only mention it because i let my neigbours kid use my connection with his xbox 360 and laptop for homework etc

as for dongles i borrow an orange network one and iv used it all over accy with no problems

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 12-02-2010 at 01:46.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:56   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Mine has actually improved in the last few days. Sod's law because I got so frustrated with it I ended up ordering a landline for the shop

lol was just about to say that myself Dave, mine hasn't gone off for a couple of days
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57   #10
Senior Member+

If you can't get BB connected straight away then see if one of your friends has a dongle that they don't use anymore and top that one up until you get a connection.
M has done that, but things seem to be a bit different over there. Never used one myself.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:04   #11
Resting in Peace

There is an article in this weeks "Web user" mag
If your using a Dongle and getting bad connection then plug the dongle into a usb cable first then into the computer/laptop the cable will act as an aerial and can be moved around to get the best signal.
i don't use one so don't know if this works but its worth a go if your having problems

http://www.webuser.co.uk/help-and-ad...bile-broadband

Last edited by Mick; 12-02-2010 at 09:13.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
There is an article in this weeks "Web user" mag
If your using a Dongle and getting bad connection then plug the dongle into a usb cable first then into the computer/laptop the cable will act as an aerial and can be moved around to get the best signal.
i don't use one so don't know if this works but its worth a go if your having problems

Improve mobile broadband | Hardware Problems Solved | Web User

lol at that report because 1 ft of cable isnt really going to make that much difference between the space between your dongle and the satelite next they will be saying wear a tinfoil hat for the signal to bounce off lol

however using an extention lead for your dongle will help prevent it getting banged and damaging your laptop usb port especially if your kids are using it because they liek to move things or sit with them perched on their knees etc so the extention prevents teh dongle getting caught and snagging at teh usb port

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:26   #13
God Member

i use an extension for mine and to be quite honest it hardly makes a difference
Old 12-02-2010, 12:30   #14
God Member

it can make a huge difference. I've found radio blackspots can be as small as a couple of foot wide and being able to move it this much can mean 1 bar or full signal.

Where you moving to bernie? maybe someone local to it can comment on what signal is like

up baxenden, orange and voda are very good due to teh mast on southwood drive.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42   #15
God Member

Going to Clayton Ian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..