Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 14:58   #1

Children in need

Hiya everyone,
For the past phew year i've watched the show for children in need, And really wanted to take part and raise some money but never done it. So this year i am going to but the only problem is i need some ideas for what i am going to do. So if you have any good ideas please let me know !!

Thanx

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-11-2004, 15:00   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Children in need

sit in a tub of mud for 12 hrs

charitable and good for the skin!
Old 01-11-2004, 15:44   #3
God Member

Get some of your mates and do a sponsored rubbish collection. Follow the binmen when they come round Church on Friday and pick up and place in bags all the rubbish the binmen spill or miss. Get people to sponsor each kilo of rubbish you collect. By my estimate you should end up with about 10 tons. Everyones happy - the Charity, the locals...everyone with the exception of the Binmen and HBC, and they may not be very happy. Oh, don't ask me what to do with the rubbish either.....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 18:45   #4
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Actually, a sponsored rubbish collection may not be a bad idea. People would be willing to sponsor for that. You could enlist a local firm to help with the weigh-in and you would probably get some local newspaper coverage to aid the cause. I would definately sponsor and it is more original than a silence or walk and doesn't involve dressing up in owt daft (unless you want to).

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 18:55   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Actually, a sponsored rubbish collection may not be a bad idea. People would be willing to sponsor for that. You could enlist a local firm to help with the weigh-in and you would probably get some local newspaper coverage to aid the cause. I would definately sponsor and it is more original than a silence or walk and doesn't involve dressing up in owt daft (unless you want to).
Health & safety, lettie whats left the bin men (sorry refuse collectors, (sorry re-cyclers, oh what ever)), wouldn't touch how could we afford insurance for any-one else?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 22:11   #6
Always EVIL within us

Talking Re: Children in need

[QUOTE=mani]sit in a tub of mud for 12 hrs
/QUOTE]

Not a new idea, thats just what Dougs been doing lately......Oops: Sorry mel, wrong thread

Last edited by Busman747; 01-11-2004 at 22:16.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 22:15   #7
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Health & safety, lettie whats left the bin men (sorry refuse collectors, (sorry re-cyclers, oh what ever)), wouldn't touch
Not necessarily so. Here in Willows Lane it tends to be just stuff they drop but don't pick up. On bin days it's worse here than Whinney Hill tip.

I would be willing to sponsor a charity rubbish collection.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 22:16   #8
Member.

[QUOTE=Busman747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
sit in a tub of mud for 12 hrs
/QUOTE]
Not a new idea, thats just what Dougs been doing lately......ops: Sorry mel, wrong thread
I believe that this is a post made by one of our younger members in the hope of gaining support and idea's...Do we need to spread this any further than the oringinal post.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 22:19   #9
Always EVIL within us

I have to agree with Less in this, with loose rubbish, the dangers of used needles, glass etc outweigh the raising of money for this great charity drive.
Old 01-11-2004, 22:33   #10
Resident Waffler

Yes, I can see your point there both of you. There are too many potential dangers of injury.

It would be good if what was done was also of some benefit in some way though, not just the sitting in mud or baked beans type of idea.

One year I organised a bring and buy sale but it was a nightmare to sort out and of course you need a venue for a thing like that too.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:37   #11

How about a sponsored park renovation scheme. Everyone was complaining recently about what a state the parks are in. Maybe someone could contact the council and it could be supervised/organised by the Parks Dept. or whoever; but all the work carried out by volunteers. I think it's great that Mel3ft is taking the trouble, well done you!

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 02-11-2004 at 10:38.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41   #12
Member.

Excellent idea John one in which everybody wins…I also second you sentiments regarding Mel3fts efforts.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 15:06   #13

Thanks everyone there is some fantastic ideas ill have to pick one soon its on the 19th of november so i havent got a lot of time

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 15:12   #14
Resident Waffler

That's one we could all benefit from JohnW but again it may be dangerous from the possibility of broken glass and discarded needles. I bet the parks dept won't agree to supervise it because they could end up being liable if someone is injured.

(Whatever happened to the voluntary clean up plans that were mentioned some time ago?)

Good luck Mel3ft with whatever you decide and don't forget to let us know so that we can sponsor you.

Old 03-11-2004, 22:17   #15

My wifes been clearing and bagging a lot of last years toys for the charity shop to make room for the next delivery at christmas.

web car boot sale?
bobthedj is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..