Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 08:56   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Chip 'n' Pin

Isn't that for young people to prove they are old enough to make certain purchases? (ie alcohol not to be sold to under 18s)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2004, 09:05   #17
Senior Member+

no its available to all ages its basically a card that proves who you are and your age its accepted by most retailers, airlines and banks i have one of the forms here but would'nt know how to get it on here.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:07   #18
Always EVIL within us

Chip "n" Pin is a great idea but I wish that the change over could be quicker. You see the little gadget at the till, put in your card and watch as it reads, finger poised to enter your 4 digit code.....onlyto be distracted by the till operator who is waving a receipt in your face to sign!!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:28   #19
Senior Member+

Busman, if the machine asks you for your pin and you put it in then there is no reason for you to sign obviously if you dont know your number then you will have to sign for now but in future you will have to remember the numbers for all your cards.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:51   #20
Resident Waffler

I think you just misunderstood there Mummiboo. I was there on a couple of those occasions and the machine didn't ask for the number. Presumably it just hadn't been set up yet or was off line or something. It wasn't a case of Busman having forgotten his number.

Old 06-09-2004, 19:50   #21
Senior Member+

Ahh,sorry busman i just re-read it and i did read it wrong i thought you said you had entered your pin but you didnt sorry!

Yeah you are right some people dont have a number yet.
Halifax cards have a chip but even the chip n pin machine dont recognise these cards and they say they are none alpha-numeric ?

So don't worry your not on your own as a cashier myself i will be more happy when this thing really kicks off!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:50   #22

I have a Halifax card, Asda chip & pin will not accept it, neither will thier 24hr petrol machines.

So at some point I have to order a new card & be without any money for a week while they send me a new one, still the basic idea is good.

As for ID cards, yes they can be a good idea, although I have no idea what criminal activity the will reduce & I hate the idea that the govermnet is going to charge us £30+ each for them.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:27   #23
Resident Waffler

No, you shouldn't have to order a new card and be without one. The banks etc are gradually replacing their cards and should send you a new one automatically and tell you when to destroy the old one and start using the new one, which it sounds like Halifax may have already tried to do but the cards don't work?

Maybe you should let Halifax know that you've got a problem using them.

Although I don't mind the idea of an ID card I too object to the fact that if it is being imposed upon us they then add insult to injury by expecting us to pay for it.

Old 09-10-2004, 19:16   #24

With most cards it is possible to change your pin to one you can remember so just either use same number for all cards or differ by just one number example 1234 for the 1st card got 1235 for 2nd card etc. etc.
Ellen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 20:15   #25
Senior Member+

sorry ellen its not a good idea to change your cards to all the same number cause if a thief gets your purse and gets your number they got all your cards to play with.

you will need to keep all your cards as different as possible these kind of thiefs know all the tricks in the book they can even clone cards that are exact replicas of your card but the magnetic strip dont contain any information so when swiped nothing comes up they make the card look old and worn so the cashire has to key in the number and coz it got your number on its your account the money comes out of !

Its very clever stuff thats why you need to keep your numbers as different as possible. :-)
Old 09-10-2004, 22:22   #26

Yeah I agree with what you say but what I don't understand is why anyone would want to carry more than one card at once anyway.
Ellen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 16:44   #27
Junior Member+

I am sorry but I don't agree with this c&P method, I was in a local supermarket and this young lad said to his mum ,just as she had done her number."what's 4596 for mum?" It is open to a lot of abuse to me, My partners mum is 4 ft 8 the world can see over her shoulder, she is 83 and is terrified of this system, just because anyone can get her number.So we told her to just do what she has done before and say she can't remeber. I think if it was your signature and your pin then that would be better. Not many could sign my signiture and thats the way it is staying. I just say I can't remember the number.The cover for the number pad is not private enough for me.At least at an ATM you can cover your hand with your body or a handbag etc.
I'll stick it out until there is no other way, I can't see them ever being able to do it as someone will forget the numbers.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:01   #28
Senior Member+

i agree with you baconman but you will only be able to hold out till january after that if you dont know your PIN then you dont get the goods!

If you read back its been said before the chip n pin machine does detatch from its stand and is on a coiled wire so you can remove it from its stand and hide it any way you want but it dont solve the PIN problem maybe change it to your house number and birthdate? i dont know.
Which reminds me i need to find the PIN for my mastercard n memorise it.
Old 11-10-2004, 17:04   #29
Resident Waffler

I had a mental block this afternoon! Couldn't remember mine at all.

Old 03-11-2004, 14:23   #30
Beacon of light

I have seen the C&P used extensively in Australia and it does not seem to cause any problems at all. I am looking forward to getting my new card, but my husband will be stymied.....and he has only just got used to using his switch card...... he cannot remember numbers for the life of him. I do not think it is a good idea to write your pin number down anywhere disguised as a telephone number...... the card companies warn against doing anything like that and it would imvalidate any card protection insurance that you have.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..