Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2011, 19:02   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Cleaning a washing machine

If you are using conditioner on towels, Heth, stop it now .. it builds up and will make them smell eventually. Also, conditioner is just a plastic coating, so the towels will not be as absorbent.

I sometimes get water left behind in the soap dispenser .. .just have to pull it out to clean it ... gets blocked.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2011, 19:27   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
If you are using conditioner on towels, Heth, stop it now .. it builds up and will make them smell eventually. Also, conditioner is just a plastic coating, so the towels will not be as absorbent.

I sometimes get water left behind in the soap dispenser .. .just have to pull it out to clean it ... gets blocked.
..............and the 'plastic' coating on your clothing can be absorbed into you via your skin which isn't the impermeable barrier most people think it is.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 19:34   #18
Beacon of light

I take my soap drawer out and give it a soak every couple of weeks(I use denture cleansing tablets).

I also use a calgon type tablet to prevent the build up of limescale....I know we are a soft water area, but you do still get some build up.(or so a washing machine repair man told me...long before the chap on TV started telling us about it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 19:46   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
..............and the 'plastic' coating on your clothing can be absorbed into you via your skin which isn't the impermeable barrier most people think it is.
And not to mention those awful smelly perfumes they put in them, eh .. yuk ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 19:54   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Do you do lots of 30 or 40 degree washes and use washing liquid? We used to and had the same problem. Now all towels and bedding gets washed at 60. You will want to wash bedding at 60 after you go away and google about bed bugs just to be sure.

One problem is a build up of washing liquid and conditioner that forms a slimy layer. This then starts to grow bacteria and you get black spots in places you cant wash them off. The smell is most likely to be bacteria and its waste products. Try washing some towels at the hottest wash your machine will do. I tried the white vinegar as sugested on a web site and washing machine cleaners but nothing worked. Eventually I washed some white towels on hot with a lot of bleach in the machine as chlorine kills the bacteria and breaks down the slime. We do this at work to clean out water pipes that feed the machines. I do not recommend strong bleach solutions in your machine though for 2 reasons. It can degrade rubber pipes in your machine and the bubbles came out of the power drawer and completely filled the machine. At least this meant the bleach got everywhere in the machine. It was like a magic porridge pot that did not want to stop. The washer is in the garage though so it did not damage anything. It took a few washes rinses to get rid of but it does not smell any more.

I used to wash everything at 40 thinking I was saving money, now I wash bedding, towels and my work clothes at 60 and everything else at 40. I think Rhonda does the same. Not had the problem since and it was over a year ago it started to smell and I would guess the machine was only about a year old then. The old machine never did it even though we washed most things at 40.
Old 28-07-2011, 20:01   #21
Beacon of light

My sheets are white and cotton so they get a 90 degree wash...with bleach.
I never really went for the low temperature washing thing.
Old 28-07-2011, 20:15   #22
God Member

I use 90 degrees for cotton whites (bedding and underwear).
I don't use fabric conditioner or bleach and use unscented 'skin sensitive' tablets placed directly into the drum - ie dont need to clean soap dispenser because it isn't used.

I did try (very natural eco friendly) soap nuts at one time but you can't use a very hot wash with them, and whites were greying a bit.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 06:53   #23
Senior Member+

Thanks for all the replys, I aint been on for a few days.

Tried the soda crystals and Bi-Carb (thanks marg) as the soda crystals didnt work and seems to be ok.

In response to Neil yeah I have my washer on 30 for all washes as I were sucked into that eco friendly wash when it were advertised.

So how much bleach do I put in? A cap full or a bit more?
Have been getting them black spots so think a bleaching would be a good idea.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 10:43   #24
Beacon of light

Heth, run a hot wash(above 60) with the machine empty..........a capful of bleach would be good.
On the last rinse Mix a dessertspoon of bi carb with a small amount of hot water and put it into the soap dispenser of the washing machine.
Once you have done this, and the machine has finished its cycle and has stopped....take out the soap drawer and give it a good wash in soapy water(washinp up liquid is fine).......when it has had a good wash put some bleach in the water and leave for about 15-20 minutes...this should kill and mould(which is what the black bits are)
Give the drawer a rinse and put it back in the machine.
Try to dry out any residue of water that collects in the rubber seal, and leave the door of the machine open just a little bit.

This routine may need to be done every few weeks. But ditch the low temp washes........and try to wash something at a high temp each week(towels are fave...or pot towels.....I wash these separately because I don't use fabric softener on them...for the reasons that Kate stated)
Old 31-07-2011, 10:53   #25
Senior Member+

Thanks Marg will put it on a hot wash tonight with some bleach in there.

Good job you lot are here I tell you!!
Old 31-07-2011, 10:54   #26
Beacon of light

well........ we have to be good for something.......even if it is only as a bad example
Old 31-07-2011, 13:17   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
So how much bleach do I put in? A cap full or a bit more?
I suppose it depends how big your head is

I used a lot but had the bubbles escaping the machine. I might have a photo of it, it was funny
Old 31-07-2011, 13:32   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I suppose it depends how big your head is

I used a lot but had the bubbles escaping the machine. I might have a photo of it, it was funny

Hahaha! Your so funny aint you?!

Dont want me machine to be blowing bubbles out so wont put in that much!
Old 31-07-2011, 17:00   #29

Had this problem occasionally, cleaning out the filter worked. Gud Luk
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11   #30
Senior Member+

i clean mine out once a week with bicarb on a 60 wash, i was alot of nappies in mine which can make it smell as you can imagine, i also strip my nappies once a month with white vinegar as a build up of detergent can make them smell, are you using the right amount of detergent in every wash?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..