Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2008, 03:44   #1

Dentist?

Could anyone recommend a good local dentist who would treat a dental phobic patient?
Sadly I have just discovered that the use of general anasthetic has been banned in the UK for dental work and I have such a real fear of the dentist that I have been avoiding them for years.
So I was hoping that someone who might have experience of someone with similiar fears might point me in the direction of a dentist who uses a kind of deep sedation in their work. I know this wont come cheap even assuming I can get on their books for treatment but sadly the time has come to at least start searching. Thank you.

If you spin the Windows Vista CD backwards you can hear satanic messages. Worse is if you spin it forward, it installs Vista on your computer.
No.9 Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2008, 05:37   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Dentist?

If you do NEED a general anaesthetic then any dentist has the power to refer you on to the Hospital for Dental treatment, where a general anaesthetic can be given for dental work.
I know this is a fact, as just over a year ago this was offered to me by one of the NHS dentists at Accrington Victoria.
I had not been to a dentist for 42 years, and i think it is fair to say that I was a pretty nervous patient.

The NHS dentist talked me through what was needed and offered me several options....hospital treatment with a general anaesthetic was one of those options....deep sedation was another.
My advice would be to ring NHS Direct and see if you can get on with one of the Dentists at Oak House(near the new Pals Medical centre).
I hope this helps....and Good luck.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 06:39   #3
God Member

if you need a lot of work doing I hear that its cheaper to go to Poland etc and have teh work done there..... You might even be allowed general anasthetic over there

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 20:42   #4
God Member

You don't say whether you are looking for an NHS dentist or a private one.

If you are looking to go private or can't get an NHS dentist I can recommend Antley Villa on Blackburn Rd, Accy.
Old 29-07-2008, 21:04   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
If you are looking to go private or can't get an NHS dentist I can recommend Antley Villa on Blackburn Rd, Accy.
I go there and although it isn't cheap, I have only good things to say about the place. I've stayed with them since they were NHS and even though I haven't lived in Accrington for a long time.

I had to go last week as I'd an abscess due to a root dying (no idea why) and needed some root canal work doing. Cost a small fortune, but I can honestly say that apart from jaw ache (due to keeping my mouth open for over an hour), I never felt a thing. Even the injection was painless. A really good experience.
Old 29-07-2008, 21:16   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well antley villa may be good at dentistry, that i can't vouch for, but they are sure crap at making nashers, i sacked em.
Old 30-07-2008, 03:06   #7

thank you for all your suggestions. I didnt realise that you could get a referal for hospital treatment and the way Im feeling at the moment seems the way to go.
I'll try giving NHS direct a ring and see what can be done.
Incidentally there is something called the gentle denist group who are German in origin and promise you the world from prices that range from around £7000 upwards.

If you spin the Windows Vista CD backwards you can hear satanic messages. Worse is if you spin it forward, it installs Vista on your computer.
No.9 Dream is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..