Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2008, 18:46   #1
Senior Member+

Question do you?

Check your breasts?
I was talking to a female friend the other day and she said that she never does...

I was wondering if other women (and men... yes it is possible for men to get breast cancer) and if you know how to do it properly.

i have one of those gloves from the chemist, makes it a lot easier and comes with an instructional dvd.

Can we keep it clean please? I dont want this moving to over 18's

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2008, 18:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: do you?

Yes I do, quite often really (not sure how often youre meant to though)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:50   #3

In a word ....NO
Old 14-04-2008, 18:51   #4
Senior Member+

I do almost everyday, usually when i'm in the shower. Although i'm only 24 and Breast Cancer doesn't run in the family you never know.

Of course men can get Breast Cancer, it is very rare and less than 1% of all Breast Cancers occur in men. They still have the breast tissue than cancer usually occurs in. It is very little studied as it is so rare. Last year in America whilst 211,400 women were diagnosed only 1,690 men got it.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:52   #5
Senior Member+

Not to stray too far off the thread but how many men check their bits for lumps etc? its along the same lines really
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:53   #6
Senior Member+

heres the link to the nhs direct page....

Am I checking my breasts correctly? - Health Questions - NHS Direct

Bonny boy... men CAN get breast cancer

Cancer of the breast, male Introduction - Health encyclopaedia - NHS Direct

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 14-04-2008, 18:53   #7
JJ_

yes I do hun....more so than ever now, I found a lump last year and spent many agonising months at the hospital, manograms ...blood tests etc, being embarrassed sat topless in front the doctor, luckily I finally got the all clear but I urge every woman to check at least once a week....x
JJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 18:57   #8
Senior Member+

I agree JJ. It will only take you 5 mins whilst your in the shower or getting dressed.

This thread makes me think of that episode of Ab Fab when Patsy thought she found a lump and needed Saffy to check. It was hilarious but dealt with a difficult subject very well.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 19:02   #9
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I check sometimes

In the shower about a week after my period!

Men should check their balls too
Old 14-04-2008, 19:06   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Not to stray too far off the thread but how many men check their bits for lumps etc? its along the same lines really
I do indeed........... daily......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 19:18   #11
God Member

I do check mine daily, I know too many people just recently that are going through this and I would not like to join them
Old 14-04-2008, 19:20   #12
Beacon of light

Once a month should be enough.......but not around the time of a period....as many women get lumpy breasts around that time.
If you DO find anything out of the ordinary....do not panic. Go to see your Doctor and he will check you over.
My sisters Father in law was one of the unlucky 1% of men who get breast cancer.....his wife also died from breast cancer.

I heartily endorse the tactic of men feeling their bits for any lumps.......and also that men over 50 get checked for prostate problems.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 19:23   #13
Senior Member+

check your breasts regularly and 'get to know them' that way you are more likely to notice quickly if something changes....

Old 14-04-2008, 19:39   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
Check your breasts?

yes, my mum died of cancer and that started in her breast, she had a mastectomy, as did her aunt and as some of you may have read on page three of last weeks observer my cousin has just died of cancer, my grandad also died of cancer...i check my breasts at least once a week, call me over cautious but i'd rather catch it early if i where ever to find any lumps, my nan on the other side of my family also died from cancer, cervical cancer

Last edited by flashy; 14-04-2008 at 19:43.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 19:41   #15
God Member

oh and you are supposed to lie flat on your back with your arm raised above your head to properly check them, i was taught that from a very young age

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..