Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2012, 17:58   #1

drive tothe top of the coppics

I was wondering if anyone can help, I am disabled but would like to drive tothe top of the coppice, is ths possible? Any help would be much appreciated as the view looks great from the pics! Thankyou in advance and for looking...... Tony
popsy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2012, 18:10   #2
Senior Member+

Re: drive tothe top of the coppics

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsy93 View Post
I was wondering if anyone can help, I am disabled but would like to drive tothe top of the coppice, is ths possible? Any help would be much appreciated as the view looks great from the pics! Thankyou in advance and for looking...... Tony
Driving to the top in a car is not possible, you can get as far as Peel Park Bowling green then its a walk to the summit.

Or, did you mean a mobility scooter, this I think may be a possibility, but don't know if this type of transport will climb steep gradients.

Let me know and I will go to the top with this in mind as reconnaissance.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 08:32   #3
Senior Member+

I have seen wheelchairs at the monument on the coppice. You go past the bowling green and turn right up the path and just follow it. I am going up the coppice this morning at ten with our Max and his mate Dylan.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 09:50   #4
Resting in Peace

There is a parking spot (or there was) on the highway in the sky which has a very good view
Old 24-06-2012, 10:50   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There is a parking spot (or there was) on the highway in the sky which has a very good view
'There was' is correct, Jaysay. Not there anymore.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 11:37   #6
Senior Member+

Looking at it this morning I think it is possible for a motorised scooter to go up the pathway.
Old 24-06-2012, 11:39   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
The County Council have taken the lay bye away as you say. It was a good parking spot as John says with good views over Accrington and surrounding areas.
Old 24-06-2012, 17:42   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
When did they do away with it Kate, mind you ain't been on that road for over twenty years
Old 24-06-2012, 23:08   #9

Lobby the Council for a cable car to the top, I think they have one in storage from the Zeri project.

I would continue up Plantation Street, along the lane and across. I'm pretty sure this could be done in a mobility scooter.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 14:56   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
Lobby the Council for a cable car to the top, I think they have one in storage from the Zeri project.

I would continue up Plantation Street, along the lane and across. I'm pretty sure this could be done in a mobility scooter.
The lane past plantation road is rough and full of potholes. The best way to approach it is through the gates at Peel Park , up past the tennis courts and bowling greens thenyou are on the Wheelchair friendly path.
Old 25-06-2012, 16:13   #11

OMG Thanks for all the replies, its so nice of u all, will have a reccy and see how I get on and will let u know, once again thankyou very much
popsy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 16:20   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsy93 View Post
OMG Thanks for all the replies, its so nice of u all, will have a reccy and see how I get on and will let u know, once again thankyou very much
Do you live near the Coppice or know it? We live near and walk up most days with Max.
Old 25-06-2012, 18:23   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When did they do away with it Kate, mind you ain't been on that road for over twenty years
Possibly about 3 years ago ... but I am always way out on time scales.

Don't know why they closed it.. it was quite dangerous to get in and to get out of with it being on the bend on a fast road. Was very popular.

Shame though, loved to explore the Coppice from this point as you were already up there.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 21:21   #14
Senior Member+

Any update on the ascent of the coppice, popsy93, did you make it up.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..