Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2012, 20:42   #16

Re: Getting rid of stuff/downsizing

I don't have a problem getting rid of what I see as rubbish but I think I do have a bit of the hoarder in me. I can't stand mess but I can't get rid of books, and I have some very treasured (but financially worthless) items which belonged to my grandparents and go back before then which I could never get rid of, I feel like they're part of who I am. The hoarders on tv really annoy me, I think they just need a good talking to and sorting out (not really, I know they aren't well, but they are so frustrating!) But then again, I have a bit of a thing about vintage china teasets and china crockery generally which are so beautiful and quite cheap, and I have to stop myself from buying them - I currently have two full tea sets which I know I will rarely use, but it's nice to know they're there just in case!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2012, 20:47   #17
Senior Member+

Now thats one thing that I dont do which is good, collecting things.
My stuff is what has acumilated through the years, reading this thread though is making me think about trying to sort it on my days off work!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 18:27   #18

When I downsized I did the Sunday carboot at Accy market with my mate did'nt make alot but enjoyed it so much still doing it after a year
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 06:13   #19

Thank you for all the replies-I am glad it isn't just me who feels like this about stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I don't have a problem getting rid of what I see as rubbish but I think I do have a bit of the hoarder in me. I can't stand mess but I can't get rid of books,
Books, with me as well . I was brought up to believe that books are precious artefacts of creativity and intelligence and should be treated as such.Thing is, they are not that, any longer. I could get rid of all my books and buy the same back again for a couple of £ each , now and the internet provides the same encyclopaedic factor if I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, I am just the same. I have a pathological dislike of getting rid of stuff. Many a time I have filled a couple of black bags to take to the charity shop....a couple of hours later I find myself going through the bags and retrieving most of the stuff.

I have to sit down, put the stuff into bags and then get someone to take the things off my hands before I can do the retrieval stuff.
The BHF take most of my stuff.......and they will collect.
Good luck with your downsizing....I'm just glad it isn't me.
Lol thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am sure you are right.
I am a'born just after the war' child...things were hard to come by....and I think that has ingrained itself onto my psyche. Things were not disposable...they were made to last...and we did a lot of making do and mending too to get the most out of whatever we had.

You perhaps should enlist the help of someone who is not emotionally attached to the stuff...go out for the day and let them do the ruthless removal of stuff.
This is it!I was brought up to look after 'things' and cherish them and embrace them. Even though I didn't want for anything. Things today are not made to last , we're in a consumerist society that functions so that things wear out or run out or die, and we're to buy replacements.. I find that difficult to accept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
im like that .. oh it will come in useful one day ... i cant throw that away ...etc etc ... when my mum died my sister came up 6 month later and said right jen we are going to sort out mums stuff ... and i'll take it and either donate it to the charity shop or throw it away ... it was hard to do it ... stuff that my mum had saved from us being kids, my dads things she had chosen to keep .. we even found a hymn book from st stephens grane church .. which said on the front not to be taken away .. (ive still got that) ...

will admit im a hoarder ... and ive got the front room full of stuff .. i do have to go thro that ...
Haha you reeeeeally sound like me. I get so sentimental, I even keep broken things sometimes because, I don't know-my DAD bought me it, or it was my Grandmother's, or I've had it for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I also like to keep things which have sentimental value - have stacks of letters, postcards, photos etc., could never get rid of books either.

Over the 25 years I've been married we have moved house 8 times so I'm quite an expert at throwing out things on those occasions -no choice really as it would cost too much to move it all. I have my "core" items which will always be within a stones throw of me wherever I am and then you just have to be ruthless. My desk is chockablock with leaflets picked up on holidays though -I sometimes go through them and think I must whizz some of these out -but there are so many nice memories attached...

A part of me also thinks -one day it might be useful if we go back there again...some of it, from our Hols in Brittany I'm keeping with an eye to a story I may write one day -how could you remember prices in France back then and all those oher useful details.

As to really seriously downsizing -just close your eyes -imagine the house is on fire and there's only so much you have time to save, then go for those items -the rest is less important and may make you a bit of money if you can sell it off. Otherwise give it to charity shops -someone will love the plastic snow bubble you bought in Austria ten years ago and that naff pottery beer tankard with the fake pewter lid!
Definitely with you on the 'It might be of use someday' thing. I've kept hold of a breadmaker that I was given years ago, FOR years, even though I rarely even buy bread, or eat it-let alone want to make it!Finally I gave it to my friend's Mother, I feel okay about that-at least it's getting used, now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm an only child too ... but I have no problem with getting rid of stuff. Lots of stuff I just put out on my front lawn with a "Free to a good home" sign ... it works. If the stuff doesn't move, I change the sign to: "Good stuff ... Only $10.00"; and someone will steal it If it gets too bad, you could feature on an episode of "Hoarders"
Lol good idea!I may try that!I did once a few years ago put a load of video tapes outside . Within half an hour they'd all disappeared and I thought I was free of them. An HOUR later, some kids brought them round on a cart, asking me for £1 each for them!Ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
The only thing i can't seem to let go of are books, even though i work in a bookshop i can't give them away AND i keep buying them from work, bought MYSELF 3 Roald Dahl books today, just because i didn't have them, i'm losing the plot (again)
Haha I LOVE books.
I did make a good move though. There's a student house two doors away from me, and I posted a note through their door saying something such as 'Hi, I'm at number 20 and I need rid of a load of books!They're going on ebay today, if you want any please pop round and take your pick!'
They did, and now I'm rid and feeling happy-these folk are going to make good use of a lot of my books, for their studies or leisure and I am so surprised, I actually feel good about that!
However, I did really want to keep my Waris Dirie accounts. But hey, I've read them both to death, and if I really want them again I can always buy them
Old 16-09-2012, 13:06   #20

Hm so I got in from work about 3 hours ago intending to just get straight on it. And instead, I have been sitting here fannying about,talking to my friend and drinking coffee.
I suck.

( I am about to call the supermarket and see if I can pinch some boxes. If I have boxes I have more of a chance of putting stuff in boxes, right?)
Old 16-09-2012, 13:07   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
Hm so I got in from work about 3 hours ago intending to just get straight on it. And instead, I have been sitting here fannying about,talking to my friend and drinking coffee.
I suck.

( I am about to call the supermarket and see if I can pinch some boxes. If I have boxes I have more of a chance of putting stuff in boxes, right?)
Have a bonfire girl and get rid quick
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 13:14   #22

Lol, I would put the house on it!
Old 16-09-2012, 13:28   #23
God Member

Quote:
I suck.

It does help to start -get you friend to give you a hand too -more hands and all that -Oh, and stop chattering away on Accyweb too -such a waste of time!

I have better things to do too!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 13:29   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Have a bonfire girl and get rid quick
I sometimes think it would be good if the house went up in flames. Then I wouldn't have to bother about what to get rid of. I have very little of sentimental value that I would miss. Most of my (our) stuff is concerned with practical things like sewing and computers, and my DIY stuff like decorating and Richard's tools and electronic stuff. Plus lots of pictures and decorative china etc.

When we moved here we had about 60 of those banana boxes you get from the supermarket. And that was just the books. They have now all been unpacked and taken to the top floor (of four), and many more have joined them. A lot of stuff is still in boxes after five years but we are still renovating. Two floors done and two to go.
Old 16-09-2012, 14:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
It does help to start -get you friend to give you a hand too -more hands and all that -Oh, and stop chattering away on Accyweb too -such a waste of time!

I have better things to do too!
Lol. Wisdom!

I have thought that too about the house burning down. However I have five furbabies that would need saving!
Old 16-09-2012, 14:17   #26
God Member

Quote:
Lol. Wisdom!

I have thought that too about the house burning down. However I have five furbabies that would need saving!
Are they 'free range'?
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 14:22   #27

My ratties are!

(They have a whole room to themselves. There is a cage in there, which is made up of two rat cages together, but it's permanently open

The hamster unfortunatley I cannot have free-range!They're all rescues though. I dropper fed the hamster , he was half dead when I got him.)

Old 16-09-2012, 14:25   #28
God Member

Quote:
My ratties are!

(They have a whole room to themselves. There is a cage in there, which is made up of two rat cages together, but it's permanently open

The hamster unfortunatley I cannot have free-range!They're all rescues though. I dropper fed the hamster , he was half dead when I got him.)

More on the style of an open prison then
..maybe you regard it as an animal holiday camp.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 14:35   #29

Lol! Yes I suppose!x
Old 16-09-2012, 14:58   #30
Senior Member+

If you wanna throw away guitars.... I know a good home for them

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..