Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2007, 13:03   #1
Senior Member+

going to visit a few nurseries this coming week

what do I look for and what questions should I ask ?

cheers...we have got it narrowed down to 3...

all help welcomed..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-11-2007, 15:14   #2
God Member

Re: going to visit a few nurseries this coming week

Apart from the obvious e.g cleanliness of premises and the attitude and friendliness of staff, I would ask to see a copy of their latest OFSTED report. All nurseries are required by law to have one and this will tell you whether the nursery was found to be outstanding, good or unsatisfactory when they had the inspection.

Actually, you can view these reports online if you wish, on the OFSTED website.
Old 18-11-2007, 15:18   #3

What age is your child? See what the staff ratio to each staff member is, and how flexible they are to your home routine. Also, if your chils is 2 or 3, it may be worth looking for nurseries that are attached to decent primary schools as they may get a priority when they are of school age?
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 15:49   #4
Senior Member+

turn up unannounced, dont wait for an appointment... they should still let you in if there is nothing to hide.... check security, safety gates, locking doors, to check the children cant get out... ask them how they conform to every child matters... which is the legislation they have to follow for children fro birth to 18.. that should give you a good idea of the safety and ask to see their policies, child protection, health and safety, first aid and managing behaviour.. watch the nursery nuses with the children and how the children seem to be.. if there are a lot that are crying its probably not very good.. also try to be aware of the smell of the children because some places are not very good at changing nappies regularly...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2007, 16:14   #5
Senior Member+

one of them has slightly young staff working for them and that kinda puts the other half off..
Old 18-11-2007, 16:17   #6
Senior Member+

they must be over 18 to be qualified.. find out what level the staff are qualified to.. there must be 2 or 3 level 3 staff... the best qualification is a national diploma in early years and that means that they have 800 hours work experience as well as first aid and various other qualifications.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 18-11-2007, 16:20   #7
God Member

your right em, they must be over 18 to be qualified but that goes out the window when kids from schools go to do there work experience there, they have no police clearance or anything
Old 18-11-2007, 16:26   #8
Senior Member+

yeah but they are not allowed to be alone with the children, feed them, change them, take them to the toilet.... basically they are there to play with them.. oh and clean the toilets.....

Old 18-11-2007, 16:28   #9
God Member

well when i did my work experience at victoria nursery i had to....feed them, change them AND take them to the toilet
Old 18-11-2007, 16:29   #10
God Member

How long is training these days?
Old 18-11-2007, 16:42   #11
Senior Member+

2 years.... flashy, that nursery was breaching health and safety.....

Old 18-11-2007, 16:44   #12
God Member

we are talking 16 years ago em, but even back then i shouldnt of been doing it, thats why i walked out after 4 days
Old 18-11-2007, 16:46   #13
Senior Member+

ahhhh, now there is every child matters that i mentioned before which makes it illegal.. you cant do those things unless you are fully qualified, even in the last week of your second year it is still illegal...even when you are qualified there mut be 2 members of staff present if a child is removing their clothes because of child protection...

Old 18-11-2007, 18:15   #14
Senior Member+

blimey...my brains being rattled here lol...

can someone make up 12 questions I should ask...that way I will remember them ..ha ha ha..
Old 18-11-2007, 18:30   #15
Senior Member+

1) what qualifications do you have?
2) how do you keep the children safe?
3)can i see copies of your policies?
4)when were you last visited by ofsted?what did they say?
5)how many children do you have here?
6)how many qualified staff do you have?
7) who will be my childs key worker? what qualifiactions do they have?
8) Do you take students? what jobs do they have?
9)When we you last inspected by the fire services?
10) who makes the snack? do they have a food hygiene certificate?
11) who is the first aider? who coers when they are not here? can i see their certificate? is it over 3 years old? (if so they are not qualified)
erm.........12) erm.......... how will you help me and my child settle into nursery?? it can be stress full for both parents and child...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..