Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 11:43   #61

Re: Hambledon Hill and Quarry

[quote=katex;490504]This seems to be some kind of legal wrangling over ownership. I
wouldn't trust it. Not sure what they are planning to do but it sounds
like they are intending to claim the land as public property because
currently no-one has the title deeds. This is more a legal ownership
issue than anything else.
quote]

Your right about the claiming of the Land as public property however the estates intention is in no way to defraud the public as the land will be donated back to the council according to the current plans and will be registered as a public common.

There have been a few misunderstanding with regard to the actual site, in fact the quarry is not Huncoat quarry which is still in use but is Hambledon quarry to the rear of Hambledon common and Hambledon scouts which according to ordnance survey is disused. The quarry is accesible via farm track only which is accessed from the bypasss, Haslingden bound before the united utilities access road to Mitchells house.
Chelmswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2007, 11:43   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This seems to be some kind of legal wrangling over ownership. I
wouldn't trust it. Not sure what they are planning to do but it sounds
like they are intending to claim the land as public property because
currently no-one has the title deeds. This is more a legal ownership
issue than anything else.

Can get further legal information if required.
Your right about the claiming of the Land as public property however the estates intention is in no way to defraud the public as the land will be donated back to the council according to the current plans and will be registered as a public common.

There have been a few misunderstanding with regard to the actual site, in fact the quarry is not Huncoat quarry which is still in use but is Hambledon quarry to the rear of Hambledon common and Hambledon scouts which according to ordnance survey is disused. The quarry is accesible via farm track only which is accessed from the bypasss, Haslingden bound before the united utilities access road to Mitchells house.
Chelmswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:07   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelmswood View Post
I'm still puzzled.

If the land is common land already why do you need to claim it, do anything to it and then donate it back to the council as a public common?

I presume at some point there must be some financial gain in this for your organisation but you're not explaining yourself very well. Surely there must be a cost involved in doing whatever it is that you do.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:14   #64
Resident Waffler

Why is it that we are getting information in dribs and drabs and some of it apparently contradictory?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 15:02   #65
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelmswood View Post

Here you are back again, but still haven't answered my questions.

I'll make it easier for you, and number them.

1/ Is there a website showing other areas you have 'regenerated' and given back to the public? Even if you don't have a website, could you please name one such project, so we could do our own research, as there is bound to be at least some press coverage of such a worthwhile scheme.

2/ What name are you registered under as a charity?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 19:51   #66
Senior Member+

so it is gamblers cave the quarry in question
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 21:36   #67
Resident Waffler

I wish we could get a simple answer to a simple question. Perhaps if you could show us the location on a map it would help.

Old 08-11-2007, 21:52   #68

The whole idea of this thread bemuses me. I cant see why a charity would go around claiming old bits of land to tart up and give away. There seems to me to be far more charitable causes, who the heck would donate to this? I’ve lost count of how many times garinda has asked the bloke for the name they have registered themselves as a charity, only to be completely ignored.
As yet the bottom line on this one escapes me…and there is generally a bottom line
Old 12-11-2007, 13:05   #69
God Member

I did a bit of checking around and asked someone in the know regarding the hill - this is his response.

The Hill & Quarry are already open to public access under the CROW Act, part of it is a Biological Heritage Site (BHS: ref no 72SE07 called Hameldon Scout, designated because the quarry cliffs are used by peregrine falcons for nesting) and on the hill above an earthwork called Little Hameldon is a Bronze Age chambered long barrow of considerable archaeological and historical interest. Clearly there would be concerns and objections about any damage to the long barrow and any disturbanec to the birds. The Hill & Quarry are also Common Land but I'm not sure exactly what this means in terms of the Rights of Commoners, the public & others.

The access track into the quarry is a public footpath & cannot be closed.

I'm puzzled so would again like to ask you what your plans are Chelmswood?

Old 12-11-2007, 13:15   #70
God Member

Well done Gayle -- we suspect travellers are attempting to commandeer land---time will tell ---now we are aware of the threat, they are less likely to succeed.
Other forum members have contacted other parties who may have interests in and/or ownership of, the site.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 13:25   #71
God Member

Another bit of information that I've just been fed.

Section 38 of the Commons Act 2006 replaces section 194 of the Law of Property Act 1925, which is repealed. Under section 38, consent is generally needed from the Secretary of State for any restricted works on registered common land. Restricted works are those which prevent or impede access to or over the land, which might include erecting fencing, constructing buildings, digging ditches or resurfacing of land with tarmac and similar materials.

Old 12-11-2007, 13:36   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well after reading through this thread, i come out on the side of Garinda,Bonnyboy, n others. to me anyone promoting summat n NOT answering questions asked numerous times, comes across as a con-merchant, to me, so Chelmswood its down to you,prove otherwise.
Old 12-11-2007, 13:52   #73
God Member

There was another thread on the same topic by Chelmsford, which was started BEFORE this thread and was active CONCURRENTLY for a time.
Anyone wanting the full picture should read that too
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ion-34634.html

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 14:03   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There was another thread on the same topic by Chelmsford, which was started BEFORE this thread and was active CONCURRENTLY for a time.
Anyone wanting the full picture should read that too
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ion-34634.html
ta margaret, missed that one with being away, just makes the whole thing more suspect to me, as garinda was asking the SAME question on the 1st thread n still NO answer.
Old 12-11-2007, 15:02   #75
Resident Waffler

The silence from Chelmsford is deafening.

I think the general consensus of opinion here is that we'd like things leaving just the way they are thank you very much.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..