Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2008, 22:59   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: has the world gone mad.. or is justified?

since around 96, my view has been "ignore em" prior to that i only had 2 instances of that kind of experiance, both bad, n made me feel very uncomfortable, if people don't like that attitude " Tough" i would hate fer any bloke to be in such an uncomfortable situation through trying to help, i certainly never will again.
Old 29-06-2008, 23:06   #17
God Member

That is such a shame Cashy when decent people feel that they can't help without being suspected of having an ulterior motive!! As for the CRB checks they mean nothing to me after Huntley got his dirty hands on those two innocent little girls!!
Old 29-06-2008, 23:12   #18

CRB checks merely prove that someone has never been caught. They can never asses what is going in someone else's head. Unfortunately CRB checks are best we have got and the best we are going to get.
that said gut instinct goes a long way and should not be under rated
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 23:26   #19
God Member

Well in that case gut instinct didn't work where evil Huntley was concerned!!! We need a much more radical way of making sure these monsters are kept away from the children.
Old 29-06-2008, 23:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Well in that case gut instinct didn't work where evil Huntley was concerned!!! We need a much more radical way of making sure these monsters are kept away from the children.
I don't think we can make that judgment based on the knowledge we have. The head of the school that Huntley was at may very well have had a gut feeling or not, but s/he would not have been able to go on any gut feeling if the CRB check came back clear
Old 29-06-2008, 23:53   #21
Senior Member+

I though CRB's were put into place because of Huntley??

And i think i read somewhere that he did have a criminal record so wouldnt have got past the CRB check.... now EVERYONE who comes into contact with children... builders (if they are working on a school etc)partners and children of childminders etc.........

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 00:02   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I don't think we can make that judgment based on the knowledge we have. The head of the school that Huntley was at may very well have had a gut feeling or not, but s/he would not have been able to go on any gut feeling if the CRB check came back clear
But he/she if their gut feeling was strong enough could have checked it out. Maybe then it would have become clear that he was using a different name!!!
Old 30-06-2008, 00:49   #23
God Member

Last time I tried to help a young un little witch tried to pick my pocket ,
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 02:08   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
I though CRB's were put into place because of Huntley??

And i think i read somewhere that he did have a criminal record so wouldnt have got past the CRB check.... now EVERYONE who comes into contact with children... builders (if they are working on a school etc)partners and children of childminders etc.........
CRB's were introduced under the Police Act 1997 and were heavily criticised because of the Soham murders. They have become much more prominent since Ian Huntley though. I think they weren't seen as compulsory for ALL people working in schools til this point, just those working directly with the children.

I haven't helped a lost child since being at an age were I could be perceived as a full grown adult to the majority, probably last time I helped a lost child I would've been around 16. I don't think I would ignore a child who was blatantly lost, but normally I look around for a childs parents before approaching them, because I imagine parents would react with hostility if they saw an adult talking to their child.

I don't think it is a sad thing at all. As people have mentioned, there was at one point naive attitudes towards women until myra hindley knocked us to reality. Both genders are capable of evil things and everyone should be cautious around strangers. Being young in this era means I have lived entirely in this tense society, but thankfully I will have been taught what to do in all circumstances. 50 or so years ago I might have happily jumped into a car with a woman if I got lost, and it could have easily have been a woman like hindley. Today I am aware that men AND women are capable of molesting, kidnapping and killing children.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 07:48   #25
Beacon of light

Blazey, you don't find this situation sad purely because of the life you have lived......as you say, you have been brought up in the time when it isn't unusual for folk to 'walk on by'........unlike a lot of us older members. We remember a time when people did what they could to help a fellow human being in trouble.......and they were hard times too, just after the war. This 'helping nature' was the glue that held society together and were what distinguished true communities....so while you know nothing different, you cannot be sad for what has gone because it wasn't in your era......but I am saddened because it WAS in my era.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 08:09   #26
Resident Waffler

Quote:
In its report, Licensed to Hug, Civitas said that child protection regulations had "succeeded in poisoning the relationship between the generations".
This is truly sad. As a parent if I see a child in distress my instinct is to comfort them. In the past I've bathed sore knees or children who have fallen of bikes, helped children who were lost to find their Mum and generally just cuddled and comforted a child who was sad.
Now I have to admit that I think twice. Even as a Sunday School teacher an adult cannot be alone in the same room with just one child. The nursery leader at church can no longer change a nappy, they have to take the child back to the Mum (who may well be in the middle of teaching another class) to get changed. If they take a toddler to the toilet the toilet door must remain open! How dignified is that for the poor child? And all in the name of child protection. Yes, I know there have been some paedophiles in positions of trust such as scout leaders but 99.9% are not.

I have to have a CRB thingy by virtue of being a school governor.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 09:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
A few weeks ago Ty did a runner in town and was found by a teenage lad... the lad stopped a woman and asked her for help because he said he didnt want to take him to find a security guard by himself.... when i got tyler back i was too relieved to find him to think about the fact that it was a lad that had found him... the poor lad looked terrified!!

Luckily he was more bothered about a child being lost. BUT in the middle of a busy day in town he was the only person that stopped to help a very scared little boy who was in a state when i got to him!
Quote:
...If we see a teenager with wearing a hoodie he is a potential problem till proven otherwise...
Well the kid who found Ty has done much to dispel that stereotype, and we'll never know who he is - but much respect to him.

I don't tend to worry about what people think- I've usually got my uniform on even when not working (free advertising) and I think it reassures people as it means you lose some anonymity that anyone with ulterior motives would crave.

My only recent experience was running to help a kid who was obviously about to fall out of the climbing frame at the park behind Great Harwood co-op. His mum was just walking to him, still talking over her shoulder to her mate, but sprinted when she saw me and shouldered me away. The idea of her child breaking a fall onto tarmac with his face didn't catalyse her into action, but seeing someone else trying to do her job speeded her up. At least he was OK. I'd do the same again.

My wife is glad her grandad died when he did. He spent much time on a bench at the playground because he liked the sound of children laughing and playing. Who doesn't? These days, he'd be vilified.
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 09:26   #28
God Member

I was (as mentioned in another thread) in Lytham on sunday, 3 girls aged around 7 - 9 were wandering aimlessly, looking worried, all I could think of to do at the time was take my daughter and walk behind them untill a fairly drunken mother came to find them, she also looked worried for the missing trio, once I saw they were back with the mother (despite objecting to her state) I carried on where I left off, 2 minutes up the road, a boy and a girl were jumping off a wall onto a sand hill, it was high on one side and it was fairly obvious what would happen if they fell the wrong way off the wall, we watched for a minute or so, then found a pcso who stopped the children from climbing the wall, the father turned up after around half an hour, with a glass of beer in his hand, he told them to carry on playing and he would be back in half an hour for them, they were about 9 and 10, he went back across the field, and a main road to the pub he came from, then after 5 minutes the mother turned up, obviously angry and took the kids with her, I couldnt work out if she was angry because her husband had left them there, or because they had been interrupted having thier drink. It impacted on our day, and is sad that so many just leave thier kids to fend for themselves for the sake of selfishness.
Old 30-06-2008, 11:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I was (as mentioned in another thread) in Lytham on sunday, 3 girls aged around 7 - 9 were wandering aimlessly, looking worried, all I could think of to do at the time was take my daughter and walk behind them untill a fairly drunken mother came to find them, she also looked worried for the missing trio, once I saw they were back with the mother (despite objecting to her state) I carried on where I left off, 2 minutes up the road, a boy and a girl were jumping off a wall onto a sand hill, it was high on one side and it was fairly obvious what would happen if they fell the wrong way off the wall, we watched for a minute or so, then found a pcso who stopped the children from climbing the wall, the father turned up after around half an hour, with a glass of beer in his hand, he told them to carry on playing and he would be back in half an hour for them, they were about 9 and 10, he went back across the field, and a main road to the pub he came from, then after 5 minutes the mother turned up, obviously angry and took the kids with her, I couldnt work out if she was angry because her husband had left them there, or because they had been interrupted having thier drink. It impacted on our day, and is sad that so many just leave thier kids to fend for themselves for the sake of selfishness.
It is very sad, and comes back once again to the biggest danger to many children is not a stranger but their own parents.
Old 30-06-2008, 11:48   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
It is very sad, and comes back once again to the biggest danger to many children is not a stranger but their own parents.
never a truer word spoken.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..