Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 00:47   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

Have I learned you guys anything?

Okay, weird way to start a thread but please bear with me!

It was one year ago today that I officially became part of the Accyweb family. Met Mick, Mez, and Harwood Red at the Stag.

I'm curious, have I "taught" you guys anything new about America/Americans/Virginians in my one year on here? Or maybe a better question, what of value have I help you with being a foreigner? (I almost made it to 1,000 post in the year but just missed the mark (especially if the mods move this babble to a non-counting area))

I must say I have learned a tremendous amount from you! It has been very enlightening. You have been very encouraging, accepting of my lack of knowledge on many things English, and have become part of my family. You, your humor, and your sharing are all muchly appreciated!!!!!!!

Also it is very interesting how my views of some have changed especially with and (let's call em Tom and Dick). Man did I think they were pretty mean and overly opininated . . . Now I know it is all an act and their both like little puppy dogs!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2007, 08:36   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Have I learned you guys anything?

Big Bro, you've taught me lots.

Congratulations on your first year here, by the way.

I've learnt about shooting critters.

The education system in the U.S.

The history of Culpeper.

Lots of things in fact, from a different perspective.

On paper we really shouldn't be friends, as we are total opposites in many ways, but that is irrelevant. You're a good man, and it's been a pleasure learning a little about your life...including your daughter's graduation.

Here's to the next year.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:56   #3
Resident Waffler

I know and have known many Americans from sweet little old ladies to crazy teenagers but I've never known a Virginian before and had never even heard of Culpepper.

You've even taught me things I'd never thought of asking.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 14:55   #4

Thanks for the comments Willow and Garinda! They warmed me heart.

Gary you are so right about our differences. However, being able to sit with you for ~3 hours (and hence giving up my party invite by those two lasses at Ianto's pub) was quite amazing. It is a rare time when I can do that with even my closest friends. And all this while not playing cards or watching a sporting event on the tele.

Oh and since you brought it up let me tell you all about Annie's preparation for James Madison University and Joshua's current Boy Scout Camp trip and all the numerous Merit badges I'm just sure he will earn . . . .

Now, what shall I gather from those so-called Mates that didn't reply . . . Was my question so deep they continue to draft a sincere sensitive reply? Or, are they working with the Mods. to banned this babbling lump from across the pond?

Now that I've taught you about hunting (not shooting, Rindy) hunting I'll send over the recipe's along with 3 three squirrels needed for a nice stew for one!

Hugs and Kisses!

Brian

Old 10-07-2007, 17:30   #5
God Member

Funny thing is I did reply but it got lost in the world wide web somewhere and at the time to be honest I couldn't be bothered typing it again...and guess what I can't remember what I put

What I will say is I have enjoyed learning that little bit more about the ways of our weird american friend (joke honest)!!!!

The every day stuff, the weather, the family and your honest input to our quirky lancashire ways

Another thing I've learnt is I really don't like chewing tobacco

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 18:19   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ya didn't learn me owt brian, i KNOW it ALL.
Old 10-07-2007, 19:32   #7

Ah so more dear ones reply. Funny that it is from the only ones men enough to handle a dip of snuff (baccy). Rindy, your sorrowful attempt at it makes it hard for me to call you family!

Now Cashy, I know that that was your first dip so at least I learned you that. Plus we talked for about a half hour with me answer lots of questions. Please tell me that weren't all lost to the Ionosphere?

This seems like a grand occassion to let you guys in on the latest news. Skoal has now come out with a new flavor . . . .Wait for it . . . . wait for it . . . The new flavor is Citrus!!! Okay, who's salivating??????

Now, what can my inventive baccy hero UKCowboy do with a roll of that eh? I look forward to finding out!

Brian

Old 10-07-2007, 20:44   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hey i'll have a crack at the citrus,the stuff you gave me was top.
Old 10-07-2007, 21:38   #9

Here's another thing to teach you. How absolutely emotionally draining this homesteding life can be. I'm incubating 12 guinea eggs. They should have hatched a couple of days ago and/or at least started to chirp. As I heard nothing, I had to "check" before giving up figurinfg the eggs were infertile.

So, I broke open one of them and discovered a "baby" chick alive and, up to that point, well. It was probably at least 3 days from hatch and absolutely could not survive as it was. So I has to humanely dispose of it. Gosh did it wrench out me heart! On the same day, the cats got into a birds nest and had to dispose of 4 baby robins as the mum and dad attacked me.

All and all many more joys than pains but not hardly ever glorious for more than moments at a time!

Brian

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..